Anyone using their Droid as a modem? (Tethering)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KING-PIN, Jan 26, 2010.

1. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Just curious if anyone has any hands on experience with doing this yet. I've done it (quite easily, actually) on the iPhone, but am curious just how simple it is to do on the Droid.

I have found a couple of websites that offer the directions and download needed in order to accomplish tethering. There is a free trial on PDAnet, but if you want to get the "full version" of tethering, you must pay a one time fee of $30 for the software, which is a bargain for what Verizon will charge to tether your Driod.

Discuss.

:cool:

2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I've used PDAnet for Windows Mobile on Sprint with no issues, good product.

3. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Good to hear.

Reading the directions makes it look very simple. No hacking, jailbreaking, or rooting required. It's just software you download to the computer, plug your phone into the USB jack, it installs the software to your phone, and you toggle tethering on/off with one button.

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I don't wanna pay the extra money to teather...

However, I did do it with my Palm Pro and never got "caught". :)

5. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Cool.

Go to PDAnet and it'll allow you to do it for free (aside from the $30 one time fee, but it's initially free during the trial version.)

Oh and be sure to let me know how well it works. I'd do it myself but I don't have a Droid.

:supergrin:

6. countrylifeforme

countrylifeforme

I tether with my droid. The free version doesn't allow surfing secure sites but works great otherwise.

7. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

So you only have the free version? Was installation really as easy as they make it out to be?

8. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Texas Bandit

Just be careful not to get caught. Sprint will back charge you for that. I was doing that a while back and I got got a text warning me to add a data plan or I would be charged.:steamed:

9. countrylifeforme

countrylifeforme

Just install the app and download the client to your computer and you're online in 10 seconds. You have to turn on USB debugging on the phone and remember to update the client as you download updates to the phone app.

I'm a full-time camper and love it along with all of the other great apps for android :) My next favorite app is Dish Pointer Pro. It's great for aligning satellite dishes even in wooded areas. It overlays the position of all of the sats over the camera view. There's a version for iPhone also.

10. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Fortunately, you have to have a data plan in order to get the Droid. I had internet tethering with my iphone and used like 7GB of bandwidth in one month and not a thing was ever said about it since I had the iPhone "unlimited" data plan that is required on all iPhones.

Not sure that the Drioid's data plan is unlimited, but even so, I can't see myself using that much bandwidth again. I belive that most now have a 5GB cap.

:wavey:

11. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Does this still work?

12. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

13. 757CC

757CC

unrevoked.com

simple to use and works great!

14. djf

djf

I love PDANet. I use it in airports when traveling. I also use it as a backup at home because I live out in the boonies and my wireless internet connection sucks.

I always try to use an encrypted connection so that Sprint can't see what I'm doing.

15. gh0st614

gh0st614

I had trouble getting the PDANet client to work on my laptop so I opted for EasyTether, it has a free trial which cant goto Https sites so no facebook or banking but the Pro version is only 9.99 versus PDANet at 30 bucks.

EasyTether is great and Im also rooted so I have a couple WiFi tethers.

I think Verizon might be throttling my data or something because I have to reboot my phone here and there to get the data rolling again but I dont have to do that if I use my girlfriends phone. I use about 5-8gb of data a month and my phone handles ALL my internet usage.

16. jknight8907

jknight8907

My android is rooted and unlocked, and as such has built-in tethering capability.

17. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

I've used easytether. Piece of cake. No jailbreaking/rooting, no charges unless you want https capability.

18. Dandapani

Dandapani

With a simple user tweak on the HTC Droid Incredible on Verizon it is possible to use the embedded tethering app with out regards to Verizon's "service" for such ability. I made the tweak on mine, but don't need to use it. It works fine. This may violate the Verizon terms of service and you may be subject to penalties up to and including disconnect, but that's between you and Verizon.

19. gh0st614

gh0st614

go get that BB 6 its a 2.3rom created from source. its so pretty.

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Yes, I have tethered my driods.