close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use Vonage?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rhikdavis, May 16, 2006.

1. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

With DSL? Earthlink DSL.....? :supergrin:

Well, the wife, in her infinite wisdom, had decided to sign us up for it....Now we have no phone at all, because the crap doesn't work...

Naturally, this up and coming company doesn't have any real human tech support, just some stupid helpbot thing. Did I mention I couldn't call them anyway?

Anyway...All the bells and whistles seem to be working..the right lights are on, but still no connection..Im running windows 98se (cringe)..whatever happened to plug n' play?

Another strange thing about the Motorola VT2442 Gateway device is that the power light blinks intermittenly.

I'm also wondering if the device is actually for Cable Modems rather than DSL.....

The only reason I have internet now is because I'm connected directly to the wall jack.

So, tell me about your nightmares with this service?

:supergrin:

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I don't have it but have a friend that does and it seems to have worked out well for them. The folks he bought it from did come out and help set it up. His only issues are that sometimes there is an echo quality to the line that is irritating and of course when your broadband goes down you don't have a phone.

:alien:

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

That's why I wouldnt let my mother get talked into it. In this area cable is to unreliable to have it as the only phone, and dsl isnt available.

4. point4zero

point4zero Member

You should give skype a try. www.skype.com. you can make free calls to landlines or mobiles in US and Canada until the end of the year and PC to PC calls are always free. And even if it isn't perfect, it's still FREE! I haven't used Vonage, but I have used Lingo. At first it worked great, but QOS quickly degraded. I've had better results with my free service on skype.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Alas, for me Skype has been unreliable for international connections. However, Yahoo Messenger with Voice has been stellar. It uses similar technology, so I can only surmise Yahoo devotes more servers/resources to it. I'm on it right now. It sounds like talking to someone across the table. :) I do use a headset (<$20 Plantronics set). It's better than a microphone and speakers, although they also work, just not as well.

6. point4zero

point4zero Member

I think it's safe to say that VOIP for residential use is not quite "there" yet. It's fun to play with, but I wouldn't rely on it.

7. frefoo

frefoo

I have had Vonage for about 2 years now and I have never had a problem with it.

I am not thru DSL or Earthlink (Cox cable modem) so perhaps that is the difference.

Since Vonage is basically IP packets going from point A to point B, I would think the problem is with your DSL service and not Vonage.

Using Vonage I have been on con-calls that have lasted approx 4 hours.

During that time I also was VPN'ed into "the company having issues".

Not once did Vonage drop the call, have static issues, etc.

I would look at your setup/DSL connection/bandwidth before I place blame at Vonage.

frefoo

P.S. I only purchased Vonage as a backup to my cell phone in case of such client "con-call" problems mentioned above.