close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use the Teletype GPS?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NCSteve, May 13, 2004.

1. NCSteve

NCSteve

Hi,
    I'm looking for a handheld GPS that I can use for both aviation and driving. The Teletype GPS looks good. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help,
    Steve

2. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

Never used it, but I'm not sure using a PDA based GPS would be that good, for the simple reason of trying to use a stylus while flying. What happens if you drop it, or you are in turbulence? I have a Garmin Pilot III, and it has big rubber buttons, and there have been times it has been hard to make changes, because of the bumps.

3. NCSteve

NCSteve

Good point. Though, I'm really thinking of it more as a backup to a panel mounted GPS (also, since the panel mounted GPS on the airplane that I fly is in sort of an awkward position requiring me to lean way over to get a good look at it, I thought the handheld might also be more convenient, at least for "normal" flying).

4. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

I got a Garmin 196 last Sept and absolutely love it. Great as a back up. You can line yourself up with the runway centerline miles out. Nearest function is great for finding FSS/airport/center freq./and many more. Battery life with rechargeable batters is about 12-16 hours with back lighting on. It's been a great flight companion these last few months and I just ordered the new Garmin 296 which is basically the same as the 196 with the addition of a color screen and terrain cautions and alerts, sectional chart-like topographic data, a built-in obstacle database.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap296/

You could probably pick up a 196 on Ebay for around $700

5. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

The Garmin 196 is a great little GPS. I used mine in the airplane, the car (interfaced with a laptop for a bigger screen), and on the boat.

I went to Sun-n-Fun this year with full intention of upgrading my 196 for the new color 296. However, when I saw the unit in person -- and realized the screen was slightly smaller than the 196, I decided to wait. Then, while at the show -- I discovered the C-Map EXP III-C Pro Gold unit by AvMap. I was hooked! Especially when I was shown it will automatically lay out SAR grids unde rthe flight plan function -- something I really can make use of!

http://www.avmapnavigation.com/Aviation/ProductInfo/AVMAP/EKP3Pro.asp

If price is a consideration for you, keep an eye on the Lowrance 1000. The engineers at the show let me play with a color prototype that will be available for the AirVenture show dates. This will be the most economical full-featured portable color GPS unit on the market. Integration of the unit with Satellite XM signals for "near real time" weather depiction is planned for the near future too.

http://www.lowrance.com/Aviation/default.asp