close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use Poly-Dunk It buckets to clean their Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DownRiver, Oct 8, 2004.

1. DownRiver

DownRiver

Subject says it all. I'm iterested because it seem like it would get grime out of the couple of creaveses that are almost impossible to get to. Not so bad on my Glock but my Walther P22 has some places that I can't reach easily which need attention. Also I suspect shotgun parts would like a bath in this stuff during cleaning.

Any problems with Poly-dunk-it? Does it smell like regular solvent? How good is the lubricant coat that it leaves on the gun?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

The dunk kits are for lazy people. Learn to detail strip your Glock, it's easy and everybody should know how. Go to www.topglock.com for instructions.

3. DownRiver

DownRiver

I realize that the solvent bath should not replace cleaning. I simply would like to add this step into my normal cleaning procedure....I hardly consider that being "lazy".

So..anyone with first hand expierience using the Poly-DunkIt?

4. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk

Down River,

I see no reason why this practice should not be done. The only way to find out is to try it and see for yourself. If it functions well after you solvent bathed it then it's should be fine. For it to be considered a lazy mans method is not realistic as many smiths use this method with great success.

mail clerk

5. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

It's not necessary and won't do anything you can't do by hand, but their your $$'s to burn.

6. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

I thought about buying the Poly-Dunk bucket when I saw it on "American Shooter" a while back. I'm not lazy, just work way too much. Looked like a good way to clean my Glocks between regular strip downs. Then I read the thread here about most rounds between cleaning. After I read that I saw no need for the Poly-Dunk. Good Reading......Do the search and see for yourself.;c

7. DownRiver

DownRiver

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Mail Clerk, I think your right. I think I'll just buy the small bucket and see how I like it.

Thanks again.

8. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

The Dunk-Kit is a great product, but it won't clean the nooks/crannies of your Glock any better than a bucket of any other cleaner. You either need an armorer to detail-strip/clean the gun, or a pile of q-tips and patience. Resist the temptation to strip the gun yourself (using a book, video, or DVD for instruction) unless you are a certified armorer for the gun in question.

The advantage of Dunk-Kit is that it is a cleaner and light lubricant. You can "dunk" certain gun components (frame, disassembled mags, barrel) in the bucket, scrub them clean, dunk again to rinse, and then dry (thoroughly!). Dunking the slide is problematic because you will foul the striker/firing pin channel. There shouldn't be a problem with a frame as long as you can remove the grips. Otherwise, cleaner can get trapped where you don't want it to be, only to contaminate your ammo (and holster and clothing later.

I strip my Glock pistols once or twice annually. After my second armorer school (and thousands upon thousands of rounds downrange), I stopped worrying about fouling in cracks and crevices. You can minimize fouling by using a good CLP (Break-Free, Mpro 7) - parts wipe clean most of the time with minimal brushing/effort required.

I hope this helps. Just my 2C.