Anyone use pachmayr presentation grips?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Got my new 686p today, lov it except the grips, there the newer SW grips with lss pronounced finger grooves, but there still there, I hate finger grooves with a passion. I really just want my fingers where i want thm without them being forced somewhere else. Wondering if these may be the ticket?

2. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

[​IMG]

I have presentation grips on a Ruger Service Six. They have a good feel to them. I think these grips would be good for average to large hands, but I doubt someone with small hands would do well with them. My hands are average size, so they are perfectly serviceable for my purposes.

Unlike you, I really do like the finger groove grips.

Really don't like any of the rubber grips for looks, they are my preference for shooting, though. Since I tend to think practical instead of looks......most of my revolvers have Pachmayrs and Hogue grips installed. The exception would be for anything intended for concealed carry, as I don't think they work well for that purpose.....too grabby with clothing.

ooc

edit: I also have presentation grips on a Colt Trooper and have had them on a Smith 586. They are still on the Trooper, but I've replaced those on the 586 with Pachmayr Grippers........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I have the PP's on a few: Super Redhawk, S&W Highway Patrol and a Mdl 65. They all work great for extended range time and out in the field. They do all normally wear wood grips though.

4. Diesel McBadass

I think wood looks way better on blued guns but stainless im a fan of rubber. I have a large hand (glove size L) so that should be helpful.

5. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

I have a S&W Model 64 with Pachmayr "Gripper", a Colt Diamondback with "Presentation" grip, S&W 686 with the Pachmayr "Bill Jordan" grip (carried on duty 1988-1996 then switched to semiauto) and a Ruger Redhawk with the Camouflage "Presentation" grip.
    I wish Pachmayr made a Bill Jordan grip for the Redhawk.

All of the Pachmayr grips I own or have shot are very comfortable and look good. If your looking for pretty there are several maker out there who use exotic wood in their grips.

6. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I don't much care for rubber grips, but do have a pair of Hogue rubber grips on my J frame and they are great. I prefer wood on the K frame's I have. Hogue makes wooden grips without finger grooves, and I suspect you can find a pair of S&W wooden grips on e-bay. I have the service grips, they are skinny, but I use Tyler T grips to fill them out - work perfect. Mr Hogships set up looks first rate:wavey:

7. Diesel McBadass

My reason for the pachmayrs is i hate finger grooves and like rubber grippiness.

8. vafish

vafish

I prefer the Grippers with the finger grooves, but if you don't like finger grooves the Presentation grips should be great for you.

9. OrangePwr9

OrangePwr9

Got 'em on a Redhawk, a Super Blackhawk, and a 586. For awhile I had 'em on a Contender. They seem to be the top choice for me.

Started with Grippers on the RH. That's where I learned that I don't like finger grooves. Tried the Presentations and the difference was like night and day. Shot the RH much better.

Took 'em off the Contender because they made an elegant gun look ugly. That and the TC rubber backed grips worked as well.

10. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

I like my Pachmayr stocks.

S&W mdl 19-4. I also have the 'standard' Presentation stocks, too.
    [​IMG]

Dan Wesson 44VH-4
    [​IMG]
    These stocks really eat up the recoil. (That, and the fact that this revolver comes close to 4 lbs w/ VH-8 barrel/shroud on it!)

Colt Gold Cup NM
    [​IMG]

I even have a set of Pachmayr on my old Charter Arms Undercover!

For shooting, you can't beat Pachmayrs!!
    My handguns aren't safe queens and they don't need to be 'purty'. They have a job to do.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  11. Diesel McBadass

12. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

I think you'll like 'em.

The original Rosewood stocks that came on my 19-4 had checkering that was so sharp, that with factory magnum loads, it was like holding onto a cheese grater.
    Same with the Goncalo Alves stocks that I put on that 19-4.

No thanks. I've got over 15,000 rounds through that 19-4, and I don't think that I've put 1,000 rounds through it, with the wood furniture.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I hate rubber grips be they Pachmayr, Hogue or the short lived Uncle Mike's. My Trooper MkIII came with a set of Presentation as standard. I'm going to have Herrett do something for me. I don't think the rubber grips reduce felt recoil for me at all and I hate the tackiness feeling of the rubber grip. Even the Presentation still has a bit of tackiness to it.

14. Diesel McBadass

15. 69HEMI-R/T

69HEMI-R/T

My heavier recoilling guns such as my full-power .357mags and .44mag revolvers are much more fun to shoot at the range with Pachmayr Presentations on them, especially the snubbies! That said, they all look much nicer with wood stocks.

At the range, the PP's are hard to beat for recoil-taming but I usually change them out back to wood grips when I return.

There are 2 sizes of PP's by the way. Regular (marked small inside) and large which seems easier to find around here.

16. mgentry

mgentry

I have them on my Colt Python and my S&W Model 66. Great grips!

17. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I like the exposed backstrap grip.. normally comes with finger grooves (which I can take or leave). Presentation grips just dont fit my hands.

18. Diesel McBadass

The presentations are very confortable but fit a little loose.

19. CAcop

CAcop

I like mine on my M19. I disliked the gripper grips it came with. It pointed weird and the finger grooves were annoying.

20. Diesel McBadass

The grips are very confortable but fit loose, wondering how to fix that?