close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use or know anything about Kettleballs?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Drjones, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Drjones

Drjones

http://www.russiankettlebell.com/

What do you guys think of them?

Anyone use them?

They look interesting and perhaps a good change of pace and to supplement my gym workouts.

2. Afoliata

Afoliata

They are great as long as you use them to supplement rather than replace your other weight training. They can be excellent tools, as long as you look past their gimmick status. Pavel Tsatsouline espouses their use big time. But he sells them too. Good luck.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Kettlebells are way overpriced. People are charging up, and well over, $100 for a frickin' cast iron ball with a handle. Just a fad.

4. DBradD

DBradD

There was a large thread on this recently. Look back about a month or two.

DBD

5. Drjones

Drjones

I searched "Kettleballs" and "Kettle Balls" and got nothing.

Help?

6. DBradD

DBradD

LOL.

Look about halfway down the H&F Forum first page!

Edit: I just noticed that you typed "kettleballs"--I don't know if that's a joke or a real product!?:shocked:

DBD

7. Drjones

Drjones

Whoops.

My mistake.

Found the thread. :supergrin:

8. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Kettleballs? Are these the same thing as Mountain Oysters? Perhaps you should try the food forum.

9. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Kettleballs are a marketing gimick, the only true path to strength is through clubbells. Anything else will cause your testosterone to drop and your left tibia to disintegrate spontaneously. This has been proven in russian army experiments which I would show you except they're not available in the US because they're so incredibly secret.

Seriously though, Pavel seems kind of nuts. I have an ebook of his where he claims the only things needed for total fitness are one legged squats and one armed pushups, done throughout the day when the mood strikes.

I can see where kettleballs might have some value, but for a lot less you can buy a lot more different kinds of equipment like sandbags that'll give you a similar variety of exercise options.

10. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I started the previous thread so I thought I'd chime in here.

I've now been working out with kettlebells for a couple of months. Prior to that I did some weight lifting on machines and freeweights but nothing you could call really organized or directed. I got into the kettlebells through a friend that has been using them for a couple of years now. I've seen more improvement in my body strength in the last couple months than in a couple years of doing other weight lifting. The exercises that my friend has tought me tend to be full body exercises rather than targeting a specific muscle group like 'conventional' weightlifting.

I've personally never read or viewed anything that Pavel has written but I understand that he has developed a very good grasp of capitalism. He wants you to buy his stuff, so he's probably a little overboard on it.

Realistically there probably isn't any exercise with kettlebells that you couldn't do with a dumbbell. It's just that the shape of them is much more convenient for some of the moves than a dumbbell. If you do some searching you can find them cheaper than Dragondoor or a couple other sites. They're really not much more than a comparable weight dumbbell, but you get killed on the shipping.

Are they a fad as suggested by others here? Maybe in this country. The Soviet Army used them for training their soldiers. What better for training large groups? They almost self teach since mistakes can be painful. According to my friend our own Navy Seals are starting to use them. The basic concept has been around for 2500 years so it's kind of hard to argue the fad thing based on that. Even if they are here if they get a few people off of their butts for awhile that's a good thing.

11. Drjones

Drjones

Thank you for your post, Nam02G.

What sorts of exercises are you doing with the Kettlebells?

Can you post a link to a site with pics, instructions, etc?

Thanks!

12. nam02G

I've yet to look around to find a website that gives instruction for kettlebell excersises. I think my friend bought one of the books and I learned them from him.

Some of the exercises we do are the basic swing, clean and jerks, snatches, rows, windmills, squats, good morning deadlifts, suitcase deadlifts, overhead press, lunges, Turkish get-ups and something called the 'two hands anyhow'.

Swings are done by bending at the knees and hips and picking up the bell between your feet. You then stand upright letting the bell swing out in front of you. I believe that there are many variations of this move including one where you take the bell all the way over your head.

Clean and Jerks start out with a swing but on the way up you curl around so the bell ends up by your shoulder, hand in front of your chin (clean) then you pop it up over your head (jerk). Then you either drop it straight down or swing it out and start over.

Snatches start out with a swing but you take it over head in one motion and the bell ends up laying against your wrist. This one can be very painfull if done wrong.

For the Turkish get-up you start out laying on the floor. You then pick up the bell holding it straight up then stand up all the while holding the bell up. Then you lay back down. Sounds easy but not while you're holding a 16kg kettlebell.

The two hand anyhow has many varieties. It can be a combination of clean and jerks, snatches, windmills, presses whatever. The goal is to end up with two kettlebells extended over your head.

I could describe the others but I'm getting tired of typing.;)

13. nam02G

14. Drjones

Drjones

Thanks!

15. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

I didn't mean to imply that kettleballs are worthless, they just seem to be another in a long line of "gotta have" new gadgets or implements in the weight training arena. As you say, if they get someone to actually work out rather than watching hour 7 of the Survivor marathon I'm all for them. My objection is to the habit of some promoters/coaches, and not just Pavel, to declare something the perfect implement or revolutionary advancement in the pursuit of people's money. I've worked out with both kettleballs and clubbells, I find that they're better for moves like swings than dumbbells, but overall I don't think they offer the range of benefits that dumbbells and barbells do. If I had unlimited funds, they might be worthwhile for the training variety, but until those funds come in basic weights and more diverse strongman type implements seem, IMHO, to offer greater benefit.

Pavel offers a lot of quality information, I've got 2 or 3 of his e-books, but he definitely has embraced the capitalist model and I question whether money or helping people get in better shape is his primary motivator.

16. 2210

if you just want to try them, there are handles you can buy that allow you to put together a stack of small plates and simulate a kettlebell.

i still prefer conventional dumbells. but i do admit to being a big 'medicine ball geek'.

i also like (the idea of) Clubbells, but i'd never pay that kind of money. easier to make them out of the big red plastic kid's bats filled with sand.