close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use grip tape on the slide?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TheExplorer, Aug 14, 2012.

1. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I've seen this a few times now. I assume it's for when your hands get sweaty during repeated shooting? No harm I guess since the adhesive shouldn't touch the receiver.

2. Keyhole

Keyhole

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

3. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Wow. Did you do that? That's just what I was thinking as opposed to just slapping on a big piece.

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I used the left over portions of the rubberized Decal Grip material in the slide serrations on my range Glock,it does provide a nice firm grip to the slide. SJ 40

5. ak103k

ak103k

I use a piece of skateboard tape on top of the slide, between the ejection port, and the rear sight.

6. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Thanks Guys. I just bought a few sheets, so I'm going to experiment. I don't know if I can make those groove cuts but I'll give it a shot.

7. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

On match guns this is done to make quick slide racking easier, a lot of competition shooters use this forward on the slide as well, for more freedom in where you grab the slide.

But on a carry gun, the tape will needlessly scuff and roughen your holster (leather or kydex), which returns the favor and roughs up the gun's finish and creates progessively more resistance on the draw.

But if you keep the tape at the rear of the slide on a carry, you shouldn't create much extra scuffing on the holster, but it will grab clothes and/or skin.

8. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

That does make sense. I think I'd just feel more comfortable with a piece there. I will try the grove cut outs, but I don't see myself being that skilled.

9. Keyhole

Keyhole

Yes. Mine turned out spot on:
    [​IMG]

10. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

11. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

My question is, why?

12. Keyhole

Keyhole

One time, in competition, had a malfunction, tap/rack, but the slide slipped away from me due to perspiration, had to tap/rack again, lost more time and got rattled. This should have prevented that. Super grippy now. Simple.

13. tydefan05

tydefan05

I wondered the same thing until I stopped letting rain be a reason for not going to the range. When your hands are soaked, maybe you've got a little oil on your fingers, you've been wiping your nose and shivering a little bit, or maybe you've jammed, cut a finger...sometimes it's tough to get just the right amount of purchase on the slide to rack it. I've experienced a combination of all of these. Maybe the second go is more successful, but timing is everything if you're practicing for a "game time" situation. This is just my personal experience. I used to think it was silly, but now I wish the serration were cut a little more aggressively. I'm sure my grip isn't manly enough and I'm an embarrassment to the Y chromosome, but it costs about 10 cents to add it and it has no impact on the weapon otherwise.

Note: I use an overhand grip to rack the slide (gun in right hand, left four fingers go over the top and grasp the right side, left palm and pad of thumb on left side of slide, brace my left index finger against the rear sight). In the best conditions this is simple. In the worst case extra grippiness a welcome addition.

14. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Ever try to rack the slide while your hands are a little sweaty? It is a bit difficult.

15. YMMV

YMMV Glockaholic

Nice! I've considered doing the same myself. I really don't understand why people always feel the need to bash, even in the other linked thread. Its your gun, do what you need to do so it functions properly in your hand. Great if you have hammer hands and have the grip of the hulk and you see this not fit, then move along. To each and their own.

16. roadkill46

roadkill46

i have a small square on just about all my slides, toward the back on the inside side of the gun. reason not on the outside, is if you have a shirt that snags on stuff it can ride up on the tape and now you're in open carry mode!!! i always wear an A T-shirt or wife beater anyway so it does not bother my skin at all.

17. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Those that used skateboard tape, what brand? I just bought two sheets and they don't stick to the slide.:crying:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  18. Keyhole

Keyhole

I got whatever the kid in the shop handed me. It says "Jessup-The Original" on the back.

19. ranger1968

ranger1968

I personally do not use it,and I have never had a gripping issue (no matter how wet the weather or sweat my hands were) but I know quite a few people who do use grip tape, mostly in the slide serrations as pictured above, and they swear by it;

I say give it a try.....

20. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Thanks. I used Black Magic, which is supposed to be great for guns. I'll try to find that brand.