close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use Google Earth?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by nyredneck, Jan 13, 2006.

1. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I was messing around with Google Earth today at Mom Redneck's House today (sadly I have dial up and GE requires DSL or cable) and it is pretty awesome. If you haven't used it yet it's sattelite photos of the entire Earth, you just type in an address or coordinates and it gives you a sattelite view of the area which you can zoom in or out. I plan on using it next year in conjunction with my Garmin topo software for hunting.

If you haven't used it , go to google home page and click on Google Earth. You have to download the program first, but trust me, it is worth it.

2. Sharker

Sharker

Yeah its pretty neat stuff. I did a search of my house, and it was the day I was moving, could see the trucks in the back yard, and my Bros in the front yard.
    But someplaces the resolution is better than others. I looked at my familys place in Maine, and couldnt get any where near the detail as here in Florida.
    Sorry cant see girls on the beach...

3. GLOCK22SHOOTER

GLOCK22SHOOTER NOT A VICTIM

I used it when I evacuated to virginia during katrina.I zoomed in on me and all my friends houses and stuff to see if it all was still here.Sure enough it was and my van was still parked on the street.Uptown only partially flooded.Everything on the river side was cool so we got real lucky.Nothing but some missing shingles and a broken window which scared me when we first got back cause when I saw it pulling up I thought we had been looted but nope,everything was in its place.

4. vafish

vafish

I use it.

Really messed with one of my users at a remote site.

I was using remote desktop to fix a printer issue at his site. Used GE to take a shot of their location, then dropped it on his desktop as a background. You could see their cars in the parking lot. I had the guy going for a while that it was part of our remote monitoring software. He could see his truck in the lot and actually believed me for a while.

5. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

;z ;z
    That's good! We're watching you.....
    Anyone know how often GE updsates its images? Is it constantly or like every 10 min or so? Just wondering.

6. vafish

vafish

I don't think it's that often. I think it depends upon the area.

I just GE'd my address, you can clearly see 2 cars in the neighbor across the streets drive way. The 2 old ladies that live there gave their 2 cars to the grand kids and bought a new Toyota Camry about a year and a half ago.

You can also make out the yelow plastic slide on my kids swing set. It's in the middle of the back yard. At least 2 years ago we moved the swing set to the west edge of the yard.

7. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

how do you search for an address? I downloaded thr program, but I've only been able to find businesses and schools, things with a specific name in a phonebook, not an address. any pointers?

8. isp2605

isp2605

Where's the GE version that updates? I've been using it for several months and all the zooms I've done are constant and from a year or 2 old with some even older than that.

9. vafish

vafish

In the upper left corner is a litte text box with "Fly To", "Local Search", and "Dircetions" tabs. Click on the "Fly To" and type in your address.

See attached.

10. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Great vafish, now the secret service is going to monitor all posts in this thread!!:)

11. vafish

vafish

I wasn't going to give you a picture of MY house! ;f

I thought about posting my Mother In Laws house.;N

12. SouthTexasrep

SouthTexasrep

haha, thanks. Thsi thing is awesome, however the pictures are pretty old, coming up on a year and a half judging from the car parked in front of my old house ;) scary detail. lol

13. Hoingshiba

Hoingshiba willhunt4food

It all depends on the satellite feeds it is drawing from. This is why some areas have a coarser spatial resolution than others. The way the satellites work is such that you are able to get more frequent images with a lower spatial/spectral resolution than if you want higher resolution which will take longer due to the neccessary trajectory of the sattellite over the earth. For example, the landsat satellite which is used for a lot of remote images on 6 bands is set so that it takes 16 days to return to some point on the earth. That has a 30 meter resolution. I am not sure which satellites GE draws from, but based on the resolution of the images, it would seem that they would require a long time between photos of the same place. Then again, they could be using a system of multiple satellites that are numerous enough to provide updates regularly. It would likely be on the scale of days between updates. ANd that said, they are going to use the best/clearest image they can. There is no use updating the image to one that is nothing but cloud cover or atmospheric interference...

Or they could be doing something completely different, and I am blowing smoke. I haven't messed around with GE much because my computer is a dinosaur. I was working with some GIS stuff recently though, and I can tell you that there is a lot more potential uses for GE then they put on it. but hey...its free, and GIS software costs thousands...so ther ya go... - T

14. major

major Rejected member

Wow, I love that site.

15. isp2605

isp2605

So which version has the constant, or recent, updates? I've played with the site quite a bit and have used it for work and play. Everything I've zoomed in on is from a year or longer and doesn't change.

16. johnstrr

johnstrr In the Garden

17. winchester62

winchester62

All I get is green screen...:( I wish I could figure out this thing...:( :(

18. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I've goofed around with it a bunch.

A fast connection really makes it worth while.

Sadly alot of the "stuff" that I wanted to see has poor resolution at best.

When I use it alot my eyes start to get the same feeling as when I look at this.

19. JKG

JKG

I use Google Earth, but still go back to Terraserver every now and then. I've used them to find funnels for deer hunting. It almost makes it too easy...

20. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Is terraserver still up? Haven't been there in years!