close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use an Extended Slide Release on their G30 or other glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Redsnake, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Redsnake

Redsnake

I'm thinking that the original slide stop is a bit hard for me to operated based on my familiarity w/other weapons. I'm heading over to my gun shop and intall an extended slide stop this afternoon and wondered if anyone else on here has had any good or bad things come f/this?

Opinions and all appreciated
    Thanks,
    Eric

(Edit: Thanks for the information. I put one of these on both my G30 and G32... so far so good. I'll know more as time goes along and I get more range time/packing time w/each pistol)

2. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

Extended slide release and a set of meprolight night sights is the first thing I do to all my glocks.

3. Big Steve

Big Steve

Yes,
    I HAVE BEEN USING THE FACTORY EXT. SLIDE RELEASE ON MY G30
    CCW FOR 3 YEARS NOW. IT WORKS GREAT.

STEVE IN PA.

4. SIX14LIFE

SIX14LIFE TACTICAL G19'S

Yup I use them on all my glocks.

Cheers.;c

5. ajw8875

ajw8875 HA-WY-EE YEAA!!

I personally use one on my G-21. It helps out a lot since I'm a lefty. makes it really easy to just rake my trigger finger over it and be ready for action.

6. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Me too!

7. N2DFire

N2DFire Who Me ???

Well I'm new here and this is my first Glock so let that give value to my opinion, but I have one on my new 30 (as part of the glockmeister essential kit) and I LOVE it. Wouldn't ever own another Glock w/o it.

8. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

*rolls eyes*

Since it's extended, it's automatically called slide release not slide stop lever anymore?

Using slide stop lever as a slide release would be a bad idea because it requires FINE MOTOR SKILLS, which would be hard to do if you're in shooting match with perps. Your body would be high on adrenaline and your tunnel vision would narrow, etc. Using slingshot or overhand motion to release the slide from the slide lock lever is a better option because it requires GROSS MOTOR SKILLS.

Using slide stop lever as a slide release would make the notch on the slide wear out and not catch on well. It also wears out the slide stop lever as well.

-ChaZ

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

ChaZ, you are right on the money. i thought i was the only one who knew that.

10. zen_grasshopper

zen_grasshopper God Bless USA

Glock Inc. recommends the hand-over method for racking the slide with Glocks. I had a extended on my G19 for two years now and have carried daily. I put it on it to use until I trained myself to use the hand-over method, I was used to Berettas and 1911's and always used the slide release. Now both of my Glocks have the standard slide stop lever on them. But honestly I really don't have to rack the slide much, because when I ram a mag home the slide slams forward and chambers a round every time. At the recent Glock Armorer's course I attended, the instructor (who also teaches the Firearms Instructor Workshop) said that if you can do that and the firearm chambers by all means go with it!! One less step.

That having been said I think that the "fine motor, gross motor skill" debate is kind of silly. For years the US military taught people to use the slide release lever, and it worked just fine. It all comes back to training. What you do in training is what you will do in a stress situation. I have never been shot at (thank God) but back when I thumbed the slide release, I was more than confident that I hit that pad with my thumb, because I did it everytime in training. I just think that if hitting the slide release with your thumb is a fine motor skill, wouldn't hitting the mag release or the pulling the trigger be also?

But I really don't think that the slide stop sever would wear out the notch on the slide. The tenifer finished slide has a Rockwell hardness of 67-68 which only 2-3 points lower then a industrial diamond. The stamped metal slide stop lever (which is not tenifer treated and has a Rockwell of around 38-45 tops) would wear out before the slide. That's just what I gathered from two years of machining and metallurgy classes. And since that is only a few bucks I would just replace it when it is worn.

It all comes down to, do what you want to do. If you are comforable with thumbing the release them by all means run with it. Or try the different methods and find what you like the best. YMMV. Just don't skimp on training, do it often and with good instructors.

Jon

11. charleym3

charleym3 E5C4P3!

It wasn't designed to be used that way, so I don't. I sling-shot the slide.

12. dbrowne1

dbrowne1 Senior Member

Me three. I train with it and train using the slide-grab method so I can do either.

13. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

I was taught not to use the stop as a release as well, but have pondered the tennifer issue also. Either using the stop as a release, or overhanding it, I don't care. Either works so I don't see a need for the extended stop.

14. Bronson7

Bronson7

Bought one, installed it, and removed it. After reading the fine vs. gross motorskills posted months ago, I now regularly use the slingshot method. It's become quite second nature.
    Bronson7

15. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

Are they hard to install yourself?

16. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

If you can detail stip your glock frame, you can install the extended slide STOP.

17. Brasso

Brasso Millennium Member

It is better to use the slingshot method, but most times if you slam the mag into place the slide will release on it's own. Also, once the gun warms up, the slide stop becomes much easier to use as a slide release if that's what you want to do.

18. bobmitchum

bobmitchum

I thought (and was trained) that the "slide stop" was of much greater
    utility in locking open your slide open to clear a malf, rather than using it for a release mechanism.

As a lefty, it is MUCH easier for me to roll my trigger finger upward and (via the slingshot method) lock the extended slide lever to the rear, then it is to try and get purchase on the little tiny flat bit of metal on the stock lever. I also had the extended lever "grit blasted" so it feels stippled. (did something similar to my SIG's, Colts, Browning, Beretta, too.)

My $.02

bobmitchum

19. G Man .40

G Man .40 13 .40 + 1=G23

Thinking about one myself for my G23 and G22.