Anyone use a high school gym or pool?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by speedsix, Jan 12, 2010.

1. speedsix

speedsix

A woman at work told my wife that the local high school will let people use the pool to train in. I never thought about a high school as a possible place to swim or train. Anyone do it? I assume you would only go after school hours but it just seems weird to me.

I want to do a mini Iron Man race this summer but I have very few places to practice swimming. I gave up my membership at the YMCA because half the time the pool was rented out and I couldn't use it.

I assume you pay some kind of a fee for the use. I just never heard of anything like this before.

2. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Some public schools are open like that... Some aren't.

Me personally? I've never done it.

-J-

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

When I was in high school we had these two dudes who would come to work out. Both of them benched in excess of 500lbs, one in excess of 600 IIRC. They were coworkers at a local lumber yard and did some club bouncing too.

They just showed up and kept coming. They were nice guys. I don't think anyone had the balls to tell them they weren't welcome.

4. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

When I worked in Kent, a local high school had a noon swim for the public. There was a $3 fee, IIRC. It opened at noon and closed at one, and the locker room was available for us to use as well.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Flashbacks to 1984's Reckless with Aidan Quinn and Daryl Naked Hannah.

6. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

My mother was a secretary for a school system back in the '50s and '60s.
    It was common back then. The senior high and jr. high schools would open up their pools and gyms to various groups every evening. It was structured, however. Anybody couldn't just jump in the pool or shoot hoops whenever.

Call your local school system administration and enquire about it. There may be men's leagues, women's leagues and/or mixed for basketball, volleyball, aerobics, etc.

Have fun.