close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone use a GPS

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by G36.45, May 21, 2006.

1. G36.45

G36.45

GPS on a fish finder that is.

I just put a Lowrance 332C on my new boat.

I was disappointed that the map program offered very little detail on the lakes.

I ordered the Hot Maps program for my state that should have depths, contours, underground objects etc. Maybe that will help.

The trail function and being able to mark spots on the lake is awesome though....love it.

Anyone else use one?

2. Toyman

Toyman

I don't have a GPS built in, but I use a Garmin IIIplus. I won't go out on the big lake without it.

I'm going to be getting a new finder and GPS, but I don't think I'm going to get the integrated ones, I kinda like having them separate.

Marking fishing spots is really handy. The GPS is nice, especially when you're out 5 to 10 miles on Lake Michigan.

3. KodiakG-22C

KodiakG-22C

I use a Lowrance H2O hand held on my Bass boat. The Map Create software is pretty nice but your right it does not show Lake features like drop offs, depth things like that. The HOT MAPS SD cards you can get for your state is pretty nice. Just one thing, it only is good for the lakes that are listed on the box. It will not work on anything NOT listed for the card. It will show you an out-line of the lake and roads. Things like that. So if you don’t fish any of the lakes not listed it be a waste of good money.Just my .02

HAVE FUN!

Tim

4. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

My dad's got a really really nice Lowrance with an active color split screen fish finder / GPS mapper. His on-board didnt have much detail either but he paid like 100.00 to get like the Midwest Lakes coverage and the detail with them is INCREDIBLE. He's a dedicated fisherman (fished in some pro-am stuff recently) esp. for walleye and he won't go anywhere without his gadget now.

Very cool stuff... you'll really like the new lake chip (if you ordered one)

5. G36.45

G36.45

Tried out the new chip tonight. I ordered Navionics Hot Maps for the east coast.

Lake detail is phenomenal on screen....looks good in my driveway....I will go to the lake tomorrow and actually compare GPS detail to the actual lake.

The maps even show underground vegetation....hydrilla etc. It will blow my mind if they are actually that accurate.

6. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

They ARE that accurate. I told ya. :cool: