Anyone use a "fanny Pack" type holster?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Sdasaro, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Sdasaro

Sdasaro Not from my cold dead clutching hands

I live in NY and can only carry on route to and from range. So needless to say I go to a range quite often. I bought a "We the people" iwb holster for my 26 g 5 and it ate my groin. I bought a soft skin iwb and it's much more comfy but even the 26 kinda imprints on my 5'10" 178 lb frame. Today I dug up an old fanny pack that accommodated my 26 in one zippered compartment and my wallet and cell in another. I have seen ads for this type all claiming to be best thing since sliced bread but have come to doubt adds. Any first hand experience greatly appreciated.

2. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I did back in the early/mid nineties when everyone was wearing fanny packs. Now it just SCREAMS "I got a gun!".
    4 'o'clock, IWB Alien gear.

bandsaw, 9jeeps, larry_minn and 2 others like this.

3. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Yep...20 yrs ago...they are difficult to draw from, difficult to reholster under stress, and have become synonymous with " Look Mommy, he has a GUN"

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

Man, that takes me back to the late 80's ... :)

I once decided to give a FP holster a try, but not one of the obvious "I'm concealing a handgun" types.

At that time I was also being teased a bit by some of the guys about a bright yellow G-Shock watch I wore, and some of the bright color t-shirts or shorts I'd sometimes wear to an FTO meeting on my days off. The drive to & from home lasted longer than any of the FTO meetings, and I was never going to be seen by the public inside the meeting room, anyway.

Well, one of the senior guys seemed to take a personal level of professional umbrage to me not dressing in generic off-duty cop fashion at the meetings. Then he made uncomplimentary comments about the pastel shade of my watch, a brimmed hat, etc. Okay, then, I can dig it.

I went out and bought a couple of sturdily built, but brightly colored fanny packs that would hold my weapon and a spare magazine. One was hot neon pink and the other was a bright neon green. They had the predictable effect. :animlol:

An intended consequence was observed, though. Whenever I sometimes wore one of them on my off days in hot weather, when I wanted to be comfortable (also back in my IWB days), I began to notice that most men didn't seem to want to look at the neon colored fanny packs on a buff young man.

I'm sure many of them were stereotyping and making all manner of stupid assumptions, but the bottom line is that they either wouldn't look at the FP's long enough to wonder if they held a gun, or they automatically discounted that such an awful color FP (for a manly man, right?) could ever be used to conceal a gun.

None of my fellow cops guessed I was using the FP's to carry a weapon, until I told them. Even the sort of folks who normally tripped my cop radar on my off time seemed to automatically look away from the FP's, as if embarrassed to see them on a man.

Always made me chuckle to think it was that easy to fall off the radar as someone who was armed.

Nowadays? No more Fanny packs. However, I do have a couple of older 'camera belt cases' I've sued for carrying one of my J-frames when riding one of my motorcycles.

Damned handy for those times when I want to remove my leather jacket or leather vest at some destination in the summer, and am only wearing a tucked-in t-shirt under them (I hate tail draft caused by lifted back of t-shirt when riding).

Water/wind proof, ease of repositioning on a belt, holds a J-frame in the main compartment, and 5 speedloaders in the smaller "film pocket". I can also slip in an additional couple of speedstrips on top of the 5 speedloaders for longer rides when I'm going to be further from my home base. The snub has to be tipped to a "FBI cant" in order to fit and have the zippered tab easily move over the rear of the butt. Surprisingly the tipped/snug fit allows for an easy and quick draw, once the zippered tab has been pulled. Kinda like drawing from an old style Jordan River Holster equipped with a pull-over strap that snaps low on the holster pocket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Relative size compared to one of my usual pocket holsters.
    [​IMG]

nursetim and porschedog like this.
  5. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

I used a small fanny pack mountain biking to hold my wallet car keys and sun glasses/bike glasses.

No one seemed to notice.

So now I have one set up with a small handgun and some ammo. Use it occasionally.

Real small that t shirt covers it and even if visible no one guess I am carrying.

NMG26 likes this.
  6. John Watson

John Watson

I quit carrying a fanny pack when I realized how gay it looked !

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Velvetfoot and tuica like this.
  7. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Not since the very early 90s.

I had one designed for CC. It had a couple normal zippered compartments, but the main compartment was Velcro sealable so you could rip it open and draw.

I only used it in summer when a didn't want to wear a cover garment.

These days, I'd go with SmartCarry before using a typical fanny pack.

8. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Funny I found my old one the other day and stuck my full size G-22 in it.
    They are great for long distance drives and may come back in fashion someday.

R_P_K_ and SK2344 like this.
  9. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I will consider carrying a fanny pack the day after I get the Bruce Jenner surgery and not before

R.B. Riddick likes this.
  10. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

I passed on velcro closure packs as they are noisy to open. I've used a Galco pack on and off for 25 years. It works for me, while working out and riding my motorcycle. I can use mine to carry my J frame, G36 or my Steyr M-40a1. It has a quiet zipper and a rip cord to open it with, along with a front zippered compartment that will hold up to 4 Steyr mags and a Streamlight.

BTW, I have listened to it very carefully and it does not even whisper, let alone scream, a damned thing. I am secure in my sexuality, so I don't care what any insecure knuckleheads say about its looks. Neither should you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    SWIll, ILeft, Jade Falcon and 3 others like this.
  11. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student

My S-i-L ](retired FBI), still carries her .40 cal in her fanny pack. I don't believe she EVER gave a damn about what anyone thought of how she looked. Her sense of self and self-respect were more than enough to carry the day.

12. Sdasaro

Sdasaro Not from my cold dead clutching hands

I
    Its a tool not a fashion statement. Nor an indicator of my machismo. The thing I found and used the other day was more a camera bag that fanny pack and worked quite well as a make shift device. Room for wallet, keys, cell phone on 1 zippered compartment and my 26 or even my 30 in another zippered compartment. No imprinting and I would doubt anyone without x-ray vision would think this old f&^k had a gat, Opening the zipper was not the smoothest operation which is why I wondered if there was a better tool out there? Our next Motorhome trip will be to some mid Atlantic national parks and I would rather have a concealed weapon then a pocket knife. I also don't wish to be arrested. LOL. BTW I resent the gay inference. Right away you do 2 or 3 BJ's and folks start calling you a queer. LOL.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    motorcycleman likes this.
  13. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

I had a brown leather fanny pack that I used back in the 90's. It carried a G-27 or J frame rather well and for a F-bag was quick and easy to draw from. Wish I knew where it was now. I never really cared what people though of it.

Sdasaro likes this.
  14. tuica

tuica

Guess I prefer to have my waist as "non-bulgey" as possible. I go Glock Sport Combat Holster OWB at 3 o'clock. That camera pouch does look intriguing though. Always looking for great containers. We all have stuff. That needs to be contained. You should see my Altoids tin collection.

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I'd try to make the IWB work. Move it away from your groin :)

El Pablo likes this.
  16. refugeepj

refugeepj

bought one.
    don't really like that method of carry.

17. billorights

billorights

I have a small leather waist pack that I have had for over 20 years. It wasn't meant for a gun, but it is perfect for a J frame S&W. I carry my 442, ID and badge, and two Bianchi speed strips and it still looks too small for a gun. I wear it forward of my left hip and it almost disappears. I don't remember where I got it but it has been an important asset I would hate to do without.

18. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

If you have a premises permit, you can only take the gun in a locked box to the range , unloaded.
    So I will assume you have a target permit and live upstate.

I recommend a belt carry at the 3 to 5 o’clock position rather than fanny pack.

I have had fanny pack holsters . If you are going to get one, get the largest size. Desantis has a few.

One of the most comfortable that I will wear with sweat pants or shorts is the pistol wear p-one .

And it conceals well.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  19. jmohme

jmohme

Hold on there!
    Not everyone for a fanny pack back then.

First off, I always thought that fanny packs were kind of gay, and screamed "I like soy frappacinos" .

Second off, I do not have a fanny to wear one on. I do have a big fat arse, and as far as I know, nobody has ever marketed a big fat arse pack.

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  20. Bradley T

Bradley T

A holster at 3 o'clock outside the belt, but under a light, short sleeved, button type shirt is the way to go. Fast, comfortable, safe and hidden.

tuica likes this.