Anyone try the G3C/G3?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by dj40cal, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Perhaps, but perhaps not in regards to their CS. Certainly we hear from a few folks that had a negative experience, and that's a good thing. How often does someone take the time to report a positive experience? And how often does someone report a negative experience that really wasn't a negative experience at all? I refer to the guy recently that went on a rant about how Taurus and their CS sucks but then we found out he broke his own gun and Taurus still fixed it on their dime including shipping. So really, that wasn't the negative experience it was made out to be and in this case was actually a feather in the cap of Taurus.

A few folks think that I only sing the praises of Taurus. Again, never been true and those that are honest will know I talked good and bad about them over the years just as I have with pretty much any company including Sig, Glock and HK. I will point out the good and zero in on the bad. But any interwebz reports have to be taken into full context. Comments, opinions and experience need to be looked at critically. Does the person saying Taurus (or Glock or Sig or whoever) sucks even have one? As I've said all along, someone that hasn't even held a Taurus in their hand in more than a decade, or hasn't owned or shot a particular model in question really has nothing to say (good or bad) about it. Not anything with any validity to it anyway. That isn't meant to be harsh or a dig at anyone, but it's common sense. If a person doesn't have current experience with the current Taurus company (good or bad) then I could really care less about what they have to offer by way of comment.

I want to hear from folks that actually have a particular pistol or at least have shot it. And I want to hear their experiences (good and bad). Like our recent member that had an issue with both a G2 and a G3, I want to hear about it. I want to see if it's a one-off or something that develops into a widespread issue. If it's a one-off then so be it, happens to all the companies. If it's something that we start to see more of them I want to see that as well because I own a G3 and want to keep an eye on possible issues.

As for CS, as stated, some will have a great experience and some won't. Good to hear both reports.

Gray_Rider and Longbow like this.
  2. MD357

MD357

If you go on the Taurus forum there are SEVERAL issues with the CS. Some not unlike what Patton was describing in the other thread. It's honestly an expectation of poor service from the actual owners.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Too heavy. Lighter choices out there.

4. Deputydave

As far as the G3 it’s about the same as other compacts like the Glock and Sig. For the sub-compact it’s also about the same as other comparable sub-compacts it’s also pretty comparable but then we get into the double-stack versus single-stack or micro pistol debate.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

22 oz Taurus G3C vs 18.7 oz Glock 43X

Saying 'about the same', 'about the same', 'about the same'....next thing you know, you're at 40+ oz

6. Deputydave

I was comparing it more with the G26 i.e. double-stack against double-stack. Or a P320c or P30sk.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Gotcha. I'm thinking more along the lines of how people justify a few more ounces of weight...'well, you may as well get Gun B, it's not that much heavier'....then...

...'well, if you're going to carry Gun B, you may as well get Gun C, it's only a few more ounces of weight'...then...

...'well, if you're going to carry Gun C, you may as well get Gun D, it's only a few more ounces of weight'...

Pretty soon you're driving an M1 Abrams...

Gray_Rider and Deputydave like this.
  8. 1sheep

1sheep

I purchased a g3c a few weeks ago. It felt good in the store. And $250 for a back up gun with 3 magazines. I decided to try it out. I Did not like how it shot. Didn’t feel good in my hands while shooting. No issues with performance. Just was not for me. My lgs got a Glock 42 in. So I traded the g3c in to purchase the 42.

Gray_Rider, Doc Holliday and Orive 8 like this.
  9. Deputydave

I understand what you're saying and agree with one caveat. I was strongly considering getting a Glock 23 with the Gen 5's come out. And then getting both a 357sig barrel and 9mm conversion barrel for a 3-in-1 pistol. However, a few months back I picked up an HK USPc 9mm. I had the opportunity to pick up a complete 40 S&W upper and then I purchased a Rim Country 357sig barrel making it my 3-in-1 pistol. The HK USPc is maybe 6 ounces heavier than the G23 but it offers more of the features I prefer over the Glock. So it's a trade-off, heavier pistol that has exactly what I prefer over a lighter pistol that would be 'okay' but not totally what I prefer. So in those instances I can see choosing a heavier pistol.

Gfive45 and Doc Holliday like this.
  10. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I have a G2 that I bought out of curiosity and it has been surprisingly trouble-free. There were enough differenced between the G2 and G2c for me to step up, but the G3c has my attention. I don't intend to carry it, but I'd like to try one out, just out of curiosity. I'm seeing and reading some good things. Customer service, good or bad really doesn't come into play for me.

Deputydave likes this.
  11. Deputydave

Had another range session this afternoon with five different pistols including the G3. In addition to shooting it myself there were three women that I was teaching that shot the Taurus. They liked it fine. I did note that it’s subject to limp writing as it choked a couple of times on one of the woman. I readjusted her grip a bit and no further issues.

Accuracy continues to be more than acceptable for defensive use despite the smaller dots on the sights. I thought about getting an inexpensive set of Glock night sights but the pistol is sorta just and extra ‘just because it was inexpensive and I wanted to see it for myself’ pistol. So I might just leave the sights as-is. We’ll see.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Timeless and Gray_Rider like this.
  12. Deputydave

As I was looking over the G3 this morning in preparation to clean the pistols I'd shot yesterday I had the thought to simply not clean it at all. Kind of an unofficial 'torture test' to see how it runs without cleaning. I might put a dab of gun grease on the rails periodically but I thought it would be interesting to see how far it goes before it starts jamming up or failing to return to battery or locking back or whatever. It's an extra pistol with no real assigned role so I figured 'what the heck'.

13. Timeless

Timeless