Anyone try stevia - natural/herbal sweetener with 0 calories?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by TurboRocket, Jun 27, 2007.

1. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I bought a couple of bottles a few days ago, and use it in my coffee. So far, so good. It tastes slightly different than sugar but close enough. Some articles claim that it is anywhere from 10 to 300 times sweeter than sugar, and it has 0 calories since it is an herbal extract from the plant. It's been widely used in some countries in Asia but stevia has not seen wide usage here due to some crap with the FDA. It's a bit pricey ($10 for two 2-oz bottles) but I thought it is worth a try in my attempt to totally eliminate sugar (I cannot drink black coffee, and not willing to give up coffee just yet).

On a somewhat related note, I posted a link to an article about high-fructose corn-syrup in the Food forum here on GT. Scary stuff, and so pervasive. Check it out if you have time.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Good article about the corn syrup. Thanks.

Oh yeah, no, I haven't tried Stevia.

BTW, anybody know anything about Gamesharks?

Well really not concerned about Gamesharks, just wanted to be the first to bifurcate this thread.:tongueout:

3. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Friend of mine in Canada swears by it.

4. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Good article about HFCS.

About a year ago I finally realized how bad it really was and stoped eating anything with it as an ingredient.

My yogurt had a boat load of it, as well as my "healthy" grain bread.

It was actually Muscle & Fitness magazine that spelled it all out for me (sorry guys)! LOL!

5. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Only a structural engineer would type that...

I doubt this thread has reached stationary total potential energy just yet. :rofl: :tongueout:

6. DBradD

DBradD Guest

:laughabove: :laughabove: We haven't heard from ateamer in a while, so you might be ok.

I need to start watching out for HFCS also.

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Only a PhD candidate would type that.

8. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

Yes on the stevia, found it in Trader Joe's store here in INDY. I bought the stevia in packets like equal comes in although the stevia is in a White packet. It is very sweet, I still have a big mug of coffee in the AM which sometimes lasts along time until I drink it all. The wife buys the International Delights flavored coffee creamer stuff and I still add some of it :~( All I really drink now is Hinkley Springs Distilled Water in large Disantis water containers and add about 8 oz of Propel we buy at Costco to the 32 oz Water. I go through 4-6 bottles of this water concoction a day.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Muscle & FICTION. :supergrin: So, are you using the Weider Nonsugar Sweetener Principal, and the Weider Message Board Posting With Questions Principal?