Anyone tried the Lasermax

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by auto-5, Mar 29, 2012.

1. auto-5

auto-5

guide rod? Thinking about getting one for my 26 but was wondering if it messes up the reliability of the gun at all.

2. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Have one n my G37, nonproblems. I don't particularly find it useful though.

3. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Ive always wondered, how do you calibrate it?

4. 0scarM!ke

0scarM!ke

Try the search feature...there are many mixed reviews of the device concerning reliability durability etc. all over the internet. If you get one I probably not recommend it for heavy range use. Just make sure it works as expected on the range, then switch over to your standard guide rod for regular shooting...then switch for EDC

5. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

It has an issue when you holster it. It will active when you push the slide release bar into the Glock. The slide release bar is pretty long and it has an issue with a holster because you could be moving around while it might active it. The batteries aren't cheap. You could either make a modification to the slide release bar by trimming its length or take the laser guide rod out.

When I am planning to holster it then I put a stock guide rod in it. When I am using it as a HD gun then I put laser in it.

It has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Always use the Glock's iron sight system. The laser is a tool for you to aim better when you in in a truly SHTF situation.

I would get rail laser if I had a chance.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  6. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

These things are fantastic, I have them in a few guns and have used time since 2003. LaserMax has great customer service and the only thing I recommend is to keep an extra batteries around like you would a flashlight. I did a demo with these in my G23 at a gun show I was working where I threw my empty/cleared/zip tied gun on the floor several times and the laser new faltered.

:50cal:

7. Shark1007

Shark1007

I've had one for 20 years. Long time in a 23 and then I put it in a 38 after speaking with the company and it works fine.

Only problem is that, after maybe 5 shots at the range, it turns off and you have to hit the button again.

I think they are useful, albeit expensive. Never had to sight one in, always perfect.

8. AMSting

AMSting

Have one in my G30. Never had an issue with it, but it is not a range gun. Also never had an issue with it turning on in a holster. Since it is the guide rod, it is supposed to be aligned with the barrel, so there are no adjustments.

9. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

No adjustments needed as the guide rod is already aligned with the barrel; however, after shooting a few at the range, the powder residue that comes out of the muzzle will cloud and obscure the laser to the point where you can't see it anymore until cleaned again.

10. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

What Holster do you use?

Mine is CrossBreed Super-D.

11. kj4963

kj4963

I have one in my G22. I am more accurate just using the sights, had it in for repair once already.

12. Shark1007

Shark1007

Let me see if I can take a few and give a perspective on guiderod and other lasers.

If you are properly trained and for a carry weapon, they may not be a great benefit. As a former leo, we were always taught that speed of first hit on target was king in a defensive shooting. (rule of threes, three rounds, three feet, three seconds)

Now, having said that, the laser might be of benefit if numerous shots are fired.

Night sights are another subject, after round one, in light conditions that utilize night sights, you're pretty much blinded by flash anyway.

I'm convinced that lasers are significant in my situation more than ever. I'm almost 60, eyes aren't as good as the old days. If I wake up in the midle of the night, the use of a laser would help as the eyes focus, plus it would scare the crap out of a burglar.

Secondly, a laser allows you to peep around cover and fire reasonably accurately without exposing yourself too much.

I have a Sig .45 with Crimson trace grip laser with an on off switch, I like it a lot!

Trying to chase a laser dot around when you are crapping your pants at the same time is a lot of multi tasking. If you train (the key) and then turn the laser on, might be a good set up.

Remember, the Sharks with lasers were only marginally effective in Austin Powers.

13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I have had one on my G23 for 7+ years and I like it a lot.

:wavey:

14. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

LOL.................

The BG's always seem to know what a Rottweiler looks like and that little red beam pointing their way. Since I'm older and wear glasses I rely of the laser to help me in the middle of the night.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  15. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I found my Lasermax to be really bright. So bright that it literally lights up my hallway and small bedrooms with that pulsating red beam of death for any intruder.

Really though, I like the laser a lot and the fact I don't need a special holster or anything like the laser attachment or light attachment combos.

16. Blackhawk2001

Blackhawk2001

I've got a Crimson Trace laser grip on my EDC G27. Any laser (just like any sight) is going to have parallax issues at some point. My manual says to adjust the POA to 25 feet. I know that when I shoot at targets farther away than about 7 or 8 yards, my rounds tend to impact to the left of POA, but that may just be me. Another thing about the CT laser. I've had mine about 18 months now and haven't had to change the batteries yet. I did have to glue a piece of neoprene over the activation button, though, because the rubber seal tore. And because I'm left-handed, I did have to modify the sweat guard on my Blade-Tech Undercover IWB holster and got the Raven Concealment folks to modify my Phantom the same way.

17. steve581581

steve581581

I have one that has been sitting in my dresser for six months. I never had any reliability issues in my G26,27, or 33. It's difficult to see during the day in the "sub-compact" model for some reason.

18. Eins36

Eins36 World Citizen

I just got one for the G36 recently. Took it to the range to verify that it will be working under stress, and it did. Points exactly where the iron sight aims.

My only problem (at the moment) is that the switch feels tight and I cannot turn the laser on with my right index finger alone unless I deliberately push it in, while the left hand counter-pushes the gun (or I push the switch from the left, which works great, but I may not have a hand there).

Does anyone have the same problem?

No holster problem with this switch, though.

19. auto-5

auto-5

Good advice thanks.

FYI they were seabass not sharks.

20. Shark1007

Shark1007