close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone tried hunting with the 357sig?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by JMFWSU, Feb 7, 2003.

1. JMFWSU

JMFWSU

Just curious if any of you have tried the 357sig on medium sized game. What were the results? Would you recommend it to others? What would be the best bullet weight to use?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

I have not done this myself but I have a talked to 2 people here in NC that use a G31 . One guy uses a aftermarket 5 inch barrel but the other guy says he goes out with a stock barrel.
    Both of them go hunting boar and have used the 125 grain speer gold dot and 125 grain corbon.

They told me that within 50 yards using both brands of ammo the 175-225 lb pigs have went down with a single shot.
    I have heard of a few other stories but I have known these guys for a while and tend to belive them.

Been told that they work well on deer as well.

Keep in mind that state laws have diffrent requirments on hunting with handguns so stay legal.

I like to take the 454 casull out for hunting with a handgun;)

3. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Taking on a feral pig or a hog with anything less than a 357 mag carbine or a 10mm handgun is risky.

Those pigs have quite thick skin and with the bullet being only .355 in diameter with only 1300 fps behind it, it may not be sufficient ballistically.

Instead of buying a 357/41/44 mag or 454 revolver or a Glock 20 with a 6" hunting barrel, they risk their hides. ;Q

Maybe you COULD take out a yearling at about 150 pounds but why risk a 300 pounder circling your position. Rather have a big bore revolver or carbine to do my whacking!

All I know is that there are hunters with 55 stitch scars out there because they hit but did not drop the pig and caught the pigs' tusks in the feet, legs, thighs, and backside.

Risky.