Anyone tried a Wilson barrel in their Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glock2740, Mar 13, 2010.

1. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I have read some really great things about these barrels in Glocks. Super accurate. I would like to try one, but has anyone on hear ever tried one? I hear alot about Lone Wolf and Storm Lake, but never anything about the Wilson barrel. Thanks.

2. AustinTx

AustinTx

I didn't even know Wilson made barrels for Glocks. I'm gonna watch this.

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Look at Wilson's website. They are supposed to deliver 2" or better groups at 25 yards. They make them for the G17, G22 and G21. $160.

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Noone on Glock Talk has ever used a Wilson barrel in their Glock?:dunno:

5. greenman19

greenman19

i have a wilson barrel in my g-22. it had to be fitted to the gun and locks up tight. i can't say that it is more accurate than the factory barrel but you can shoot lead through it.

6. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

No more or less accurate than the ones from Lone Wolf or other similar outfits. I have tried quite a few over the years. A couple of them needed minor fitting in different Glocks but worked fine in others "as is". Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chance but I saw nothing to convince me that the Wilson barrels were any more or less accurate than the factory Glock barrels or barrels from other similar outfits. Now YES they did fit "tighter" (lock up) in some of my Glocks than the factory barrels, however I noticed no appreciable difference in accuracy. The same goes for similar outfits that sell similar products. I am not knocking aftermarket barrels for Glocks as a whole as I own quite a few, however I purchased none of them with the idea that I'm going to get greater accuracy. I purchased them for different reasons.

Iffin I can get 2"-2 1/2" groupings now at 25 meters then that's all I can realistically expect out of any reliable combat handgun. To expect to be able to cut that down to an inch or less in a reliable Glock is unrealistic in my book. And iffin it's only gonna give me an eighth of an inch to a quarter of an inch reduction in my groupings than am I really spending my money wisely? Will my Glock still be as reliable with such a tightly fit barrel? In my experience it has varied from barrel to barrel and Glock to Glock.

Lets say I get a half of an inch reduction, how will that benefit me? Seriously? If you (generically speaking here, not "YOU THE OP", you as in all of us here at Glock talk) are getting 5" groupings at 25 meters then I would say either your weapon needs looking at, or you need more practice/training.

There are some weapons out there that do indeed benefit greatly from properly fit aftermarket barrels (or even fitting the factory barrel properly), the Glock series of pistols is however not one of them in my opinion. -Goodspeed:wavey:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Good enough answers. I don't feel the need to have match accuracy from my Glocks. I have 1911's and a custom built 1911 for that kind of thing. But, if the Wilson barrels are as good as I've heard about, it would something worth looking into. I can dump most of my magazine into a 3" target offhand at 25 yards with almost all of my Glocks, if I take my time. The rest of the bullets are close enough that it wouldn't matter in a combat/SD situation. But we all strive for ultra accuracy, at least I do, so if the Wilson barrels are as good as advertised, then I might find it worth of the extra $160.

8. AustinTx

AustinTx

How can I tell if one barrel locks up tighter than any other, in a Glock?

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

All I know is the results I have seen. Looks like the Wilson barrels produce Custom 1911 type groups.

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Once again guys, I live for accuracy, but I also realize that Glocks are made for combat. That's why I usually CC a Glock and not one of my many 1911's.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  11. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

Your gunsmith with measure the tolerances for you.

Then it appears you have already made up your mind. Keep us posted as to how it turns out for you. Good luck. -Goodspeed :wavey:

12. BrianNH

BrianNH

FWIW-

Storm Lake used to make, and still may make barrels for Wilson.

13. AustinTx

AustinTx

Which tolerances, please? I have measuring stuff.

14. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

Like I said, your Gunsmith can measure and fit the barrel for you iffin it's not a "drop in" barrel and/or if you are having any difficulties. Iffin you know what you are doing then it's pretty easy to do it yourself. If not, then in my opinion you shouldn't be "smithing" your own stuff. Best of luck. -Goodspeed

15. dsb1829

dsb1829

BTTT

Went hunting for a lead capable barrel today in 40 S&W for my newly acquired G22. Only 2 in stock were the LoneWolf and the Wilson. Decided to roll the dice on Wilson, to support some US jobs.

Any updates to this thread? Does Wilson produce these, or are they rebadged Storm Lake as one poster mentioned?

16. Kimura

Kimura

I've never tried one, but want to see for myself. I remember reading that Kyle Defoor had one in one of his Glocks and he said he got better accuracy with it, but he's a really good shooter.

17. Kimura

Kimura

This will answer your question about the Wilson barrel. I'ts a thread started by Brian Searcy from Tigerswan. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98542

18. dsb1829

dsb1829

Nice writeup. Thanks for posting that.

My barrel should arrive today. We'll see if it drops in or if I need to do some tweaks to it.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'd consider it a complete waste of money, but it's your money.

The barrel and sight industry is supported about 90% or more by people who aren't happy with their accuracy, but who, after spending the money, find out their old barrel and sights were more accurate than they could shoot the gun and the problem was in their hands. That is even more true of barrels than sights.

20. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If extreme accuracy is so important to you, send your Glock off to Bar-Sto for a fitted barrel. If you reload, you will need a Lee factory crimp die. If you do not reload, then you are wasting your money on any aftermarket barrel.