close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Tow their Mower?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by elgoatropo, Mar 23, 2010.

1. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

I got a new place with 1.5 acre lawn. The pusher isn't going to cut it anymore. I hate mini tractors. I am looking at some kind of mower I can tow behind my 250 Big Red. There are plenty of powered units to choose from.

I am wondering about towing an unpowered mower, then a towed sweeper. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. zeke66

zeke66

As long as you don't try it while intoxicated, you should be fine.:whistling:

Seriously though, a friend of mine towed one of those Craftsman sweepers with a BR 250 to clean up the clippings on his three acres many years ago. It worked very, very well. Much faster and easier than conventional bagging.

As for a non-powered mower that can be towed behind an ATV, I didn't know that those existed. One thing to think about is whether you'll be doing a lot of backing up when mowing your property. If you will, I would think that any kind of towable mower would quickly become a pain.

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

I think I would prefer one that you pushed instead of towed.

4. Adjuster

Adjuster

5. andybob

andybob Do Work

While those gang mowers are pretty slick, you could probably get a decent used riding lawnmower with a 54" deck for 1k.

6. zeke66

zeke66

I agree. Besides, I think maintenance (blades, sharpening and such) on those gang mowers would be a pain as well. Let's not forget that the OP only has 1.5 acres.

7. PBCounty

PBCounty

The whole reversing and trying to get as close to trees as possible when turning around them is going to be a PITA in no time if you're towing something. A decent riding mower will do a great job on 1.5 acres and will be easy to maintain.

8. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

I got one from these guys. Granted my need is a little different. I have 80 acres with some grass trails through the woods. I don't mow the whole thing but wanted something heavy duty because so of the terrain is rough.

The thing is a horse and can be towed off-set to go in ditches and stuff. May be more than you need but they make a great product.

Note: this is a powered unit though, I tow behind an ATV.

9. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Thanks for the info, guys. I think Adjuster's promow is just the ticket. I wonder how fast you can tow it, and whether it will cut tall grass.

10. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

It sounds like a good excuse to buy a new ATV to tow the mower, I like it.

11. jhall

jhall

I've had one, and sold it. It could have been just the brand I had, but it just wasn't worth it. The belt kept throwing off if you got into to thick/deep of grass. And when I say thick/deep grass, I mean stuff that isn't really that thick or deep, and the mower should have handled easily. Also the cut wasn't very even or nice.

Plus, unless you have a reasonably sized area with no obstructions, it's not very easy to maneuver the thing.

And I didn't really want to put that kind of wear and tear on my atv.

So I bought a riding mower.

YMMV, but I suggest a riding mower.

ETA, this is the model I had -

[​IMG]

12. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Thanks for the info. If I get a rider, my wife can mow while I'm at work. No way can she kick start my three wheeler.

13. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

I got the same one, its not to bad. I only use it to cut fields. I wouldn't use it to cut my yard.

14. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

If you don't have any trees you could do what a guy near my buddy's lake place does with his self propelled mower. He sticks an iron pole near the middle of his 1 acre field and ties about a 100ft rope to it and ties the other end to his mower. Cranks it up and lets it run, it takes all day but eventually the rope winds it self up and pulls the mower in toward the pole. :supergrin:

15. jhall

jhall

I will say, that at one point I still had the swisher trail mower and a riding mower, it made for quick work mowing 2 acres with the trial mower offset behind the riding mower. (when the trial mower worked right mind you ;) )