Anyone think their Glock is too big for concealed carry?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Snareman, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Snareman

Snareman

Search button isn't working for some reason, so I can't see if this has been covered before...

One of the big things with carrying a gun is that you obviously have to be willing to carry it. Doesn't do you any good if its at home when you need it.

Does anyone think that their Glock or Glocks in general are a little on the large size for carrying all the time and opted for something thinner/smaller like a Kahr PM9 or Walther P99? I just took my CCW course, am waiting for my license to come through and am thus obviously brand new to carrying.

2. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

There's talk of this all the time, which is why people are often longing for a single-stack 9mm model.

3. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Depends on your attire I guess. I've been packing the G-17 for the past few months. Feels good to have 17+1 on your hip. The Subs are a dream to carry though.

4. Snareman

Snareman

Yea, I figured it had probably been covered, but after several attempts at with the search button I kept getting an error message and gave up. I didn't know if people were so diehard Glock nuts that they stuck with their Glocks despite the size. Maybe someday they will come out with a single stack 9mm.

5. kda

kda NRA Life Member

I started carrying smaller weapons ... like the S&W 637 Airweight .38 snub nose revolver. Fit my pocket perfectly Forgot it was there. Nice carry ... but I never quite got over worrying if I had enough fire power. I wondered that even if I only really needed my CCW once in my lifetime ... would I then regret not having a bit more "gun".

Always a fan of Glocks for Home Defense, I discovered the Glock 26 subcompact 9 mm and after researching self defense ammo and reading about the 147 grain Federal HST ... I realized that I could carry my favorite weapon and feel I had all the protection I hoped I'd never need. I also found out how much I like shooting the G 26. Wonder weapon.

Yes, it no longer fits in my pocket, I settled on a CB SuperTuck. And until I purchased a real gun belt (Beltman) it was not all that much fun to carry, but now that I have my "system" put together, I no longer give carrying a second thought and find that I always carry now.

6. Snareman

Snareman

I thought about an M&P9c, which is about the same size as the Gock 26, but its still pretty thick.

7. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

I use a OWB holster for my G19 so it doesn't really bother. Also a light jacket for concealment.

8. Larry V

Larry V

Glock 19,23 26 27 and 30 all can be carried comfortably

9. Tru7h

Tru7h

It's not too big. It's just that some folks don't (how do we put it nicely...) have enough space left over.

Honestly, I carry a 19 in a decent inside waist band holster with just a tshirt or vest over it.

10. jb0009

jb0009 Glock On

With the right clothing, I'd imagine you can conceal just about anything. That said, it took me a while to get used to carrying my G19 or G26. The G26 is a little easier to conceal, but I find that unless I use some kind of extension (i.e. Pearce +0) on the magazine, it's hard to draw from IWB. With somewhat loose-fitting pants and a slightly loose button-up shirt, my G19 disappears. I am looking for something a little smaller for pocket carry in warm months (which is the majority of the months down here) like a Keltec PF-9 or something, but that's a separate issue. Anyway, just try different clothing options, etc, and see what works best for you. Also, a tip: If you don't want to spend too much on clothes that may or may not work, stop by your local Goodwill store and see if you can get some cheap clothes to try out first. Good luck.

11. remington79

remington79

I don't think so. I have no problem concealing a G30 and I'm a skinny guy.

12. fodder1

fodder1 Just a Member

Carry my 19 all of the time with no issues. A buddy of mine actually carries his 34 regularly. No issues at all.

But, remember...carry isn't always comfortable.

13. FloridaCCW

FloridaCCW

This is why I switched to a Rohrbaugh R9 for carry. The Glocks are my primary HD and range guns.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  14. G8Kpr

G8Kpr Sheep Dog

Snareman,
    A copy & paste from my reply to a similar question about the G37 specifically over in the 'Bull Dawgs Club' section of this forum:

[Quote: Originally Posted by DannyR [​IMG] ]
    Concealment is an acquired life skill. You cannot make the G37 disappear but you can create the illusion that you are unarmed. It takes practice, the right attire, gun belt and holster.

15. VA_Glocker

VA_Glocker

16. justapatriot

justapatriot

I usually carry Glock 23 with my CB Supertuck but have on occasion carrired my Glock 22 with it also. Hardly know they are there.

17. fodder1

fodder1 Just a Member

Certainly, at least for me, a Glock would be very difficult to CC in a pants pocket. However, some do it. I know someone who actually carries a 1911 in his front pocket.

As to IWB, as G8Kpr said, it is a skill, and requires practice.

The simple fact that you would be new to carrying, and you KNOW you are carrying, makes you more aware of the fact that you are carrying...and you constantly are adjusting, checking, feeling, to make sure everything is ok and no one is looking at you. They're not, as long as you stop messing with it.

You have to move past the personal and mental discomfort, and you can only do that through practice. Also, don't skimp on equipment. A quality belt and holster are essential. What you choose is up to you, but there are a myriad of choices out there that are worth every penny.

18. unit1069

unit1069

It all depends where I'm going. I normally live a staid and predictable life, with running to the store/gas station the real excitement in my everyday routine.:wow:

I'll usually tuck a small single stack 9mm IWB but if I'm going somewhere a bit dicey or large urban area the Glock is on me. In those situations I won't know if I'll be in isolated areas or places where there is little human traffic.

19. Mastifflover

Mastifflover

20. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

No. For experienced folks, even larger glocks are quite easy to conceal. All you need is a quality holster, proper gunbelt, and a little knowhow.