close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone teach hunter's ED?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by nyredneck, Sep 3, 2003.

1. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Any GT'rs out there teach thier state's Hunter's Education program? I ask this because I just sent in my application for Ny's Hunter ED. (God help us all!) It's something I've wanted to do for a while, and finally just did it. I applied for the Hunter's ED, Trapper's ED, and Waterfowl identification courses. I have to submit to a background check (No prob, had to submit to one to get my NY ccw!) and an interview to be conducted by a CEO. Then , if accepted , I have to go to a training course for each course I plan on teaching, and finally I have to teach a course under a certified instuctor. It sounds like a lot, but it is something I love.;f

2. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

Good for you. We need more people who are willing to give of their time and know-how to pass on safe shooting/hunting practices to the next generation. My father-in-law was my hunter ed. instructor back when I was 15 and has since been my sole mentor in all things firearms related. Over the years he has taught countless numbers of hunters how to be safe in the woods. Sadly, along with several other DNR instructors, he recently resigned from the county we live in due to new registration and instruction policies which make it nearly impossible for lower income families to take hunter education. i.e. mandatory registration via the internet and computer based instruction in the classes. I’m all for incorporating technology into learning but not to the point it excludes some people from participating. Unfortunately, because of all this registration numbers for classes are way down this year meaning some kid out there isn’t being taught how to hunt safely. I hope you get certified and enjoy many years of teaching! Pass it on!

3. LawRand

LawRand NRA Life Member Millennium Member

I'm an instructor in MO. Good luck on getting accepted. I think you'll enjoy it a lot. It's pretty rewarding emotionally. :)

4. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

Just a comment from someone who started hunting late in life (didn't grow up with it): if at all possible, I suggest adding to the curriculum you are given by NY state (which was written by the NRA anyway), and actually go outside and practicing some of the things you teach. E.g.,

* how to safely climb a tree stand & use a rope to haul up the gun/bow.
    * safely transversing a fence (with and w/out a partner)
    * A pop quiz on shoot/don't shoot targets (e.g., a deer facing you, deer quartering a way; for a tree-stand bow hunter I imagine this could be very interesting)

etc. I am an NRA instructor and know how they insist you teach their and only their curriculum. But if at all possible, get the people off their duffs and do some hands-on. My Hunter Ed class was 14 hours straight lecture and I damn near walked out b/c I was so bored.

5. noway

noway

I have a question for thoose that teach hunter-ED;

How long is the course?

Down here I 've been checking out the programs that 's being offered and they are either spread over 2 days with 8 and 6 hours of a combine time close to 14-to-20 hrs.

My friend son we are trying to get him into the class but was surprise of the time frame and hours involved.

6. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Same here in MI noway... most classes are NRA certified which is instructed the same from state to state.

7. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Thanks for the advice, this was something I was pondering on already! When I took my Hunter's ed course we shot guns at clays, had to demonstrate proper firearm handling, and even had to follow a mock bloodtrail. It makes the learning experience more memorable and fun to have actual "hands on" activities!;f

8. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Ny's was (is?) about 20 hours long , usually spred over 2-3 days. It really isn't that bad when it's broken up like that. Tell your friends Son to bite the bullet and go ahead with it, after all 20 hours is a small price to pay for an activity that will last him a lifetime!;f

9. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

IMHO you took an unusually excellent Hunters' Ed class. Check the guidelines of the course instruction materials, and see if it's still "allowed" to do these types of activities. Common sense would say you should be able to add to the course to make it better, but liability being what it is, many times you're required to dogmatically follow the curriculum.

One other thing, there is usually section on "outdoor survival" if you get lost. It is an important topic (more hunters die from hypothermia than gunshots), but from what I've seen not many instructors really know the subject well. May I suggest that you contact someone who teaches this stuff for a living (e.g., to backpackers) and see if they can "update" the curriculum.

For the question on duration of the class, mine was 14 hours STRAIGHT (6 AM to 8 PM!), but they really did pack a lot of info into it. I think spreading it over 2 days would be best, though, esp. if they add some "hands on" stuff too.

10. python1340

python1340 Licensed to Ill

Hunters get Erectile Dysfunction? ;P

11. Elkslayer

Elkslayer

I teach in Wyoming.

We are expected to have 18 hours of class time and then do field training and live firing. Normally my classes run for two weeks 7pm to 9pm weekdays and 9am to noon Saturday, M W F S then M W F S. With the test being on Saturday the second week.

12. canis latrans

canis latrans

I teach in PA.

Instructor Course was 8 hrs. Need to teach at least one class/year and attend an up-date training every other year (Banquet, really, with a program of sorts)

The Hunter/Trapper Education Course we TEACH is 10 hrs. minimum.

Good on you for taking the effort.

I got interested in it by wanting to give something back to the sport. still at it 12 years later.

13. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Same reason I'm trying to get into it. If we don't pass along our outdoor traditions to the next generation then they will dissapear.

14. Kcolg

Kcolg Millennium Member

I teach in SW Missouri.

15. cobb

cobb 1911 tainted

Teach both state DNR classes, and various NRA classes in Southern Minnesota.