close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone taken the Florida SOCE exam lately?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by flyboy5432H, Feb 5, 2010.

1. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

Well the academy is over and all that is left is the state exam.

Anyone taken this test lately (BLE cirriculum) that could give some tips on the best way to prepare/study for it?

I've seen a few study guides/test prep's at Barnes and Noble that are for "Police Officer Exam" but not directly linked to the Florida SOCE test and don't want to spend the money or time studying something that is not related to the test i'll be taking.

Thanks all...

2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I was an academy instructor in Florida and what I can tell you is , Go through your academy notebook in the high liability areas and study.. the test is pulled right from the academy curriculm.If you have your old tests or access to them get them and study them the test is a long one and you only have so many attempts... Also know your list of Misd arrests without a Warrant front and back, I don't even know how many it's up to now since I left FL.

3. k9medic

k9medic

X 2. I too taught high liability at the academy (back before the CMS transition, though I here it's gone now.)

Just study what the academy has given you. Did you go to DBCC for the academy?

4. flyboy5432H

Yes, started in August of 09 and finished up this tuesday. SOCE exam is on the 24th.

I finished up with a 98.5% test average so i'm hoping that they pull the questions from the cirriculum so that I can just use my notes from the class.

Do either of you recommend picking up the generic study guides sold at the bookstores?

5. ranger1968

ranger1968

As a current Academy instructor I can tell you to avoid the book store study guides, as they have no value for the state exam.

As others have said, your Academy outline has everything you will need, study it hard, especially in the high liability areas and Legal.

The way the questions and the corresponding multiple choice selections usually go, one answer will be obvioulsy wrong, two will be close, and one will be exactly correct, so know your stuff...

And lastly, DO NOT read into the question. It is what it says, so do not assume any facts not given in the question, as doing so will lead you down a wrong path.

Get a group of your classmates together, and form a study group, quiz each other, and you will be fine.

6. k9medic

k9medic

As ranger said, get a your classmates together and study. If you did well in the academy then there is a good chance you will go well on the test. Those that struggled in class will have a hard time regardless.

I would stay away from the commercial test prep stuff. What you need to know will be in your notes and assignments from the academy. Remember, they do not want you to fail either.

When I went to the academy, the academy director sat on the CJSTC board. He would brag about the high first time pass rate. I'm sure your directors want to do the same.

7. wjl3058

wjl3058

PM sent w/ link to valuable info. Chose not to post on public web.
    Best of luck. The high class scorers usually pass 1st time, w/ no do-overs. I passed the FDLE exam in two disciplines easily, Corr Ofcr in 93, and Prob Officer in 96. The L/Enf academy in 74 and years of experience also helped!

8. L4zy

L4zy Military Police

I'm taking it on the 24th also, I'll be in Deland. I just finished the EOT academy a few weeks ago. Nothing will be on the test that is not in the 2 books. So like the guys above me said, study your books and know the material and you'll be fine. I have 2 study guides (Veh Ops and First Responder) that I'll upload for you.

Right click, save as:
    http://febtober.com/upload/files/1/Vehicle_Operations_Study_Guide.doc
    http://febtober.com/upload/files/1/First_Aid_Study_Guide.doc

Let me know if you have any issues opening them and I'll email them directly to you. :wavey:

I also made flashcards of all the glossary/definitions in both textbooks online, email me and I'll invite you and you can use them too ;)

med313@gmail.com

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  9. flyboy5432H

After Action Report:

Not a bad test at all. All the information came straight from the book. Few tricky questions but 25 were "test" questions that they are looking to use for future tests so atleast 25 won't be counted. Now just have to wait for the results.

They say 2 weeks for the results, but anyone thats taken the test lately able to say how long it took for them to be available at the online site?

10. L4zy

L4zy Military Police

I passed!!

11. flyboy5432H

Same here, defintely a relief to see that PASS.

And to top it off I got a call from the agency i've been wanting to get into this morning to set up an interview for tuesday.

I was going to stop in there this morning today after getting my passing certificate yesterday and drop it off but they said they already saw I passed and didn't need it. Now thats service right there.

12. trifecta

trifecta

Congrats on the test and the interview.

13. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

Yep.. took the CO exam in 2003 and the LEO exam in 2004. I might have missed 10 questions on the entire thing. It was exactly like the academy test. All questions were straight from the book.

If you fail that twice you really need to do a quick look in the mirror.. maybe be a fireman instead. :)

14. dp509

dp509 2009 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

CONGRATULATIONS :wavey:

15. ticktwrter

ticktwrter

Well, I am taking the SOCE exam next week, Aug 25 in Tallahassee. I'm nervous because I took the EOT class and hope we covered stuff well enough. I've been highlighting the objectives for each section and hoping that will help. Anyone have any more suggestions? I've heard the test changed in the past couple of years and is much harder. Any truth to that? Anyone have any other places to get study guides? I took the EOT at SEPSI and they have some sample tests on line and those questions seem pretty easy.

16. MiniJ83

MiniJ83

Just took the test last month. Nowhere near as hard as some people had described it.

My only suggestion would be just to read the through the books as many times as you can. Be very familiar with everything. The study guides weren't much help. I read each book three or four times in a two weeks period, and felt very comfortable with the test. Good luck.

17. ticktwrter

ticktwrter

OK, so what's the answer to #1? lol just kidding

Were many of the questions scenario based?

18. MiniJ83

MiniJ83

Very few scenario based. There were a couple diagrams, but they were pretty self explanatory.

Bear in mind that you probably won't get the same exam that I did. So yours could possibly be full of scenarios and high liability...where mine had more legal and traffic.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions.

19. ticktwrter

ticktwrter

I've heard there are several test versions. Oh well, we'll see next Wednesday

20. jmorgis

jmorgis

I have 27 days left in BLE Academy, im scheduled for the Sept 29th SOCE in Deland, FL

Its been a very long 11 months..

JM