close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone take ZMA?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by hotlunch, Jul 28, 2006.

1. hotlunch

hotlunch

ZMA at bedtime? It's just a formula of Zinc, Magnesium and B6 in a certain ratio. Is supposed to have affect on testosterone production in men over 35 or so, and that isn't a hokum claim. It's actually true.

Not necessary for younger guys because they produce enough test as it is and it won't do anything for them save give them some whacked-out dreams the first week or so (ZMA makes you have the strangest dreams!)

Look it up. Check it out. Let me know your thoughts.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

It is supposed to help you sleep better too. It use to be true, and may still be so, that it is way cheaper just to buy zinc, magnesium, and B6.

This is actually one supplement I am intetested in.

Jack

3. hotlunch

hotlunch

Yeah but the ratios of zinc, mag and b6 are already measured out properly for you with ZMA. I think that has something to do with it. It's B6 and Zinc aspartate/methioninonine (sp?) which I think is an amino derivative of zinc (what protein has to do with a mineral is beyond me) and mag aspartate.

I know some people buy the 3 ingredients separately but I'm not sure how it works for them. Okay I guess. I don know the dreams are wacky insane though, and I'm so NOT a person who even remembers dreams. If you're over 40 though I'd say give it a try. It's reletively harmless.

4. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

I'm 40 yrs old, I took ZMA. But really didnt notice any affects or benefits at all. I have also tried Tribulus with no noticable results.

DHEA has a BAD rap. But I have noticed tremendous results.

5. hotlunch

hotlunch

Yeah DHEA has its appeal but it has me a little scared. I believe it's a hormone (testosteron precursor) and I'm a little afraid of messing with hormone levels with that stuff. Don't want to go bald before I absolutely have to.

What kind of results did you see from it? Any side affects?

6. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

I read the report on ZMA. It was commissioned by the people who develop and market ZMA. The disclaimer is in the fine print. I haven't seen any other studies besides that one I tried it for awhile but it had a very negative effect on my digestive system (too much magnesium, i think).

7. hotlunch

hotlunch

Yeah I got the same reaction from trying out tribulus. Didn't do much 'cept for giving me an upset stomach. ZMA doesn't seem to bother me although I can see how magnesium could upset your stomach. Magnesium is a typical ingredient in stuff like Milk of Magnesia and lots of other constipation meds. Good mineral but it will really do a number on your intestines if you let it.

Didn't know that the ZMA report was commissioned by the folks that make it. Interesting to know. I don't view it as a great anabolic or anything, just thought it might help a tad with test levels and also sleep; a good night sleep being important to a healthy body.

I usually avoid most other supplements though.

8. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I think the sleep benefit of ZMA helps more than any increase in testosterone.

9. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

The only side effects that I have noticed is mood swings, aggressiveness, WOOD, (no hair loss or anything.)

Heck Man! Im 40yrs old I figure what the heck.:beer: Good Luck.

10. malkore

malkore

ZMA's primary benefit is the sleep.

only studies i've seen show that having enough zinc, mag, and b6 helps your body naturally produce testosterone. so it can't push you beyond normal..but if you're under your personal normal levels, ZMA might help a bit.

Zinc absorption is blocked by calcium, so you might actually have a bit of a zinc deficiency depending on diet, and whehter your multivitamin contains calcium or if you take it with milk.