anyone switched from Glock to 1911 for CCW??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by yahkohb, Jul 7, 2005.

1. yahkohb

yahkohb evil genius

My carry gun is a Glock 19. I love it. Love my Glock 21 too.

But. Shooting my Kimber is like, my brain tells the bullet where to go, and it goes there. That's about when this mischievious little imp who lives in the back of my head starts jumping up and down screaming "you should be carrying one of these". It's not just the trigger, it's everything.

Now obviously both types of guns have their relative pros or cons, and I'm not looking to beat that horse. What I am curious to know is, if any of you have gone from carrying a Glock to carrying a 1911 (or the reverse), and what were your reasons why. or why not, if you considered changing but didn't.

2. aglocker1911

aglocker1911 can't re-MEMBER

Actually I just recently put up my 1911 to ccw a G17. Reasons were lighter weight, ease of carry and higher capacity. I still love 1911s, but I can tell a big differance after a long day when I carry the 17 over my Springer. Guess I'm just getting old!:cool:

3. Guest

In the last couple months I put my 23 away for a while when I found a nice LWC. It’s been to the range a few times and I had forgotten how nice the Colts shoot. It sits in a Tucker cover-up so nicely and puts the 23 to shame for comfort. Come winter time, the 23 will come back out but until then the Colt gets to ride up front with me…

Scott

4. jem375

jem375 NRA Life Member

yes, went from a G26 to a Springfield Ultra Compact for my main carry handgun

5. hosieford

hosieford

I went from a Glock 21 to a Kimber Pro Carry II and don't regret the change. I loved the 21 but like you, the Kimber seems shoot a little better and conceals better for me. I still carry my 19 and 34 on occasion and feel perfectly comfortable with the capability of both, but I think the Kimber will be my main carry piece for some time to come.

6. Mike Papa

Mike Papa

Went from G23 to Colt CCO and Kimber CDP. :)

7. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

...these stay in the safe now...

[​IMG]

...this goes on the belt...

[​IMG]

8. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

I used to carry a Colt Commander in 38 Super for years but after 180,000 rounds my frame cracked.I have carried a few Glocks in the last year and settled on the Glock 33 because of the power and ease of concealment.But I still carry my Colt Government in 38 Super on my days off from work.

9. 8324glock

8324glock

Went from G19 to Kimber Pro Carry about 6 weeks ago.

Glocks are good, especially in 9mm. But, for me, nothing outshoots a 1911.

Also, my brother-in-law is with Sheriffs Dept in Clarke County, GA. They went from Glock 9mm to Glock 40 S&W several years ago. On his advice gained from a real world shootout, I have dedicated my semiautos to 45ACP.

10. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Shooting a Glock is like running with ankle weights. It's great exercise. Shooting a 1911 is like taking the ankle weights off.

Yeah, I switched. Still like Glocks, but I shoot 1911s better.

11. Lobezno001

Lobezno001 .45acp Lover

Carried a G27 as my first CCW, had it for a good while. Then I fell in love with my brother's Custom TLE/RL II after it's first visit to the range. Bought it from him a few months later, it has never left my side since. Now I'll be adding a Para SSP to the family. I'll take a Govt size 1911 anyday. I don't think I'd function right without it.

Lobez

12. calveryc

calveryc

Pretty much the same story. I carried a G27 for several years but bought a Kimber UC and love it. It is way more accurate and is so slimline that its a lot easier to conceal. Living in Dallas its T-shirt and shorts weather for pretty eight months out of the year so having something that a T-shirt will cover is imperative.

13. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I went from being a die hard Glock rules type guy to a 1911 fan. What did it for me was my firearms instruction course. I learned that most of the pro's and those who can pick their own guns pick 1911's. I started shooting them and found out why. Reasons such as a short trigger reset, low bore axis and high accuracy. Its a great weapons platform for shootability.
    Pat

14. yahkohb

yahkohb evil genius

followup: any of you using a 1911 instead of Glock as a hiking/woods gun?? I do a lot of romping around in the forest and also desert-like terrain, which often involves getting sandy, crossing streams, trudging through snow in the winter, etc. How's a 1911 going to hold up under such conditions?

15. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I don't hike much. I live in Alaska so when I am out fishing or boating I carry my 5 shot Ruger/Hamilton Bowen 5 shot 45 colt with 350 grain slugs at 1350 fps. I also usually have a my 14 inch Vangcomped 870 loaded with Breneke 3 inch mag slugs near by as well.
    Pat

16. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

Yes, I remember the days when Pat said the 1911 was an antiquated, outdated, pistol.

17. Mr.Glock1

Mr.Glock1

I went from carrying a G27 to a Kimber UC.

18. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I have learned a lot since then. Its kind of like how your dad is a complete idiot when your 16 then when your 21 he is looking smarter and when your 25 or so and having to work for a living he look like a genius.
    Pat

19. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

<---antiquated, outdated shooter who shoots WAAAY better with his 1911.

It's the trigger, stupid. ^c

20. Mike Papa

Mike Papa

scott -
    very nice looking set-up you got there. :)