close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone suffer from diverticulitis?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlockPreacher, Jan 10, 2010.

1. GlockPreacher

GlockPreacher

This is painful and is taking me a long time to recover from (I'm only 40). Anybody suffer with this and have any advice?

2. Gareth68

Gareth68

I had two attacks this spring. I am 37. I had never been in the hospital in my life. I had surgery and let them gut me this summer. I couldn't see any reason to put off the inevitable. It turned out to be a great decision, as I got laid off from work shortly after recovering. I'm glad I utilized some very good medical insurance while I still had it.

3. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

I don't, but my mother did. Nasty stuff!

4. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

Yes... painful as hell and comes and goes with no warning. To me it was like appendicitis on steroids. Eliminated it by not eating red meat and eating lots of veggies. Bulky foods like beans and rice will help. Still took a year of concentrated effort to get cleaned out.

Fortunately I was able to eliminate it by changing my diet and eliminating stress.

It's best to have the doc do a lower GI on you (barium enema) and check you out twice a year until you get it under control. Serious cases can require resection surgery which is some serious stuff. Untreated you can get pockets of infection which can turn into peritonitis. Kill ya dead if not treated quickly!

I feel your pain, hermano.

Ronaldo

5. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

I've had it for 10 yrs now. Luckily only one severe attack.

The best thing to do is talk to your physician or see a dietician about your diet.

Lots of stuff online.

Eating correctly can make a big difference in the number and severity of acute inflammations.

Good luck.

6. BhamGlock

BhamGlock

I have it and think long and hard about surgery. I would try everything I could to control it prior to going under the knife.

As far as what I have done (with good success - knock on wood!) is increased my fiber intake and I also drink metamucil twice a day. I know it is up for debate these days, but i pretty religiously stay away from nuts and seeds. Again, there are doctors on both side of that issue but for me I am steering clear of them.

Good luck with it. I had my first and only severe attack about 4yrs ago and ended up in the ER. After a course of Levaquin and Flagyl (that about killed me) I started to increase my fiber intake and cut out the "bad" foods. Have not had another episode (thankfully!)

BTW - Fiber One cereals, pop tarts and snack bars have been my main way to get my daily fiber.

7. groundhawg

groundhawg

metamucil twice a day and/or a high fiber diet should do the trick. it has helped me. you might also have you doc write you a script for cipro 500mg 14 tabs to keep on hand. take it twice a day for a week if you have an attack. when i did this my pain decreased significantly within 24 hours, so now i have it on hand and go on the offensive before the attack gets out of hand.
    my GI doc told me that recent studies have shown no increase in outbreaks/attacks when patients who had diverticuli ate diets high in seeds and nuts... ymmv

8. fwm

fwm

I've had it for forty years now. Nuts and popcorn will put me in the hospital RIGHT NOW.

Don't eat nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds. Do eat a high fiber diet and drink plenty of fluids. (Meat doesn't bother me at all, especially when combined with veggies and fruit. By the time meat gets to your colon pockets, it is completely digested. You only need worry about things that don't completely digest)

I've had it so long now, I just call the doctor and tell him I feel it coming on, and he sends a prescription to the drug store. You can live with it, just pay attention to what you eat, get a good dialog going with your doctor.

Learn to recognize the onset of an attack and you can stop them before they get bad.

9. fwm

fwm

Unless it becomes life threatening, don't do surgery. My wife used to be a surgical nurse (now manager of one of the top 3 cardiovascular surgeries in the country) and she has seen a lot of colon surgeries go bad. Her recommendation is NO elective colon surgery. Only when necessary to save your life should you consider it.

I know people are different, but nuts of any kind, or popcorn, WILL put me in the hospital in less than 24 hours. Don't care what the debate is, after 40 years of experience dealing with this I KNOW they are bad for us unfortunate people.

10. mymini40

mymini40

fiber and lots of fiber. Fruits too like papaya and the like.