Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the old pm9 with the plastic magazine release. I bought an aluminum one to replace it but I haven't changed it yet. Anyone still using the plastic one?

·
Registered
25,651 Posts
I just made the switch to the metal mag catch - plan to keep the plastic one as a spare JIC

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
The new catch is 100% metal -

Kahr sent me a metal catch - no charge.
I think the original catch made more sense - the plastic part slides inside the plastic receiver, the metal insert catches the metal magazine.

The only problem I had with mine was its length: it was sticking out way too far. I had to file off at least 1/8" to keep it from being pressed accidentally.

·
Registered
25,651 Posts
I think the original catch made more sense - the plastic part slides inside the plastic receiver, the metal insert catches the metal magazine.

The only problem I had with mine was its length: it was sticking out way too far. I had to file off at least 1/8" to keep it from being pressed accidentally.
I also sanded down the plastic catch so it would not stick out - it never got pushed in while I was CCing - but I worried it would.

I lost count - maybe around 2,000 rounds - I had the mag pop out while shooting at the range - I called Kahr and they sent me a replacement mag catch - it was the same - plastic / metal insert - never had the problem again.

My understanding is they had a few others with the same issue - so they designed an all metal catch.

I did not try and sand down the metal catch - been using it for a while now with no issues. Think I will leave it as is.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yep. Had it for a few years, carry it everyday but don't shoot it as much as I probably should. That being said, I use both the PM 9 7 round mags and the regular 7 round mags (without the plastic wrap around the body of the mag) with no issues. If they develop, I will look into changing the mag release.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I do. Didn't know they had a metal one. I quess I need to surf the web more.

·
Registered
288 Posts
When carried with the plastic catch, I would occasionally remove my PM9 from it's pocket holster to find that the catch was only half engaged and the magazine was sticking out slightly. After I installed the metal catch it never happened again.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If this metal catch helps with magazine retention how does one go about getting one?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought mine from the kahr website. It wasn't very much. I guess I could of gotten one for free but didn't want to go through the hassle of calling cs. I recently changed mine to the metal one and I like it a lot better. The plastic one was banged up from pocket carry.

·
Mostly IDPA now
1,135 Posts
I have a P9 Covert with plastic release. Carried much more than shot. Haven't seen a problem yet. What was the issue? Plastic wearing, spring too weak, or combo of both?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a used PM9 and read about the "plastic" thing so I called Kahr and the cs I talked to said because I bought it used (why did I tell him that!) I would have to buy one. It was $12.10 so, rather than argue I just bought one. I also bought a new "magazine catch spring" which was $6.60 (waste of money if yours is good as it is already metal even though mine looked like plastic).

the only tricky part was getting the spring out of the detent and then up enough to start moving the catch out. I ground a little notch in a small screwdriver tip which allowed me to get under the spring and then twist the screwdriver a little and move it out of the detent. After you start moving the catch out it is really easy and you can rotate the catch which should make sense when you watch the catch move out. Don't bother to pull the spring out of it's hole. I did and it did go back in but seems like, if a piece of anything gets in the open hole, it could stop the spring short of going all the way back. I hope that all makes sense. you will want good light inside the grip when you do this. It took about 20 minutes and one little screwdriver tip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts