Anyone still 'plink'? (pics)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Berto, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Berto

Berto woo woo

I do.

Today, I used my Henry .22lr.
    It kills cans dead.

Range was about 40yrds, shooting done on hind legs, offhand. Took twenty shots, got 14 hits...which was better than I figured, since the cans weren't moving much (stuck in snow).

Henry
    [​IMG]

Cans
    [​IMG]

Dead cans.
    [​IMG]

Group photo.
    [​IMG]

The Henry continues to impress me as a nice functional and accurate rifle. Like many lever guns, it may not always astound people when benched off sandbags (this one gets about 1.5" @ 50yrds/5 shots), it comes into its own when you simply throw it to your shoulder and go...sorta like the first time you take a Jeep into the dirt.

It's a fun rifle for this kind of stuff.

Feel free to share plinking pics/stories

2. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

I love the Henrys as plinking guns

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Yep,....got two Henrys :supergrin:

But a .22 Win Mag and a 357 Mag.

4. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Got the H001. Fun little gun.

5. Novocaine

Novocaine

You shot Santa.

Why noone makes plinking cans with Obama picture?

6. trickyvic

trickyvic

I love to plink! I don't have a Henry, yet.

7. oldnoob

oldnoob

I have one just like it. Though personally, I like bolt action more so the lever action.

8. RioKid

RioKid

This thread brings back a lot memories. I grew up plinking with a .22 and have burned up a train load of ammo. I always had and still have a bolt action single shot that I hunted and went plinking with.

The Henry .22 is on my short list of "must haves".:supergrin:

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

That would be a VERY bad idea!

10. Brucev

Brucev

I am a fan of plinking. In my early days, target shooting consisted of my father taking me and my twin-brother out to shoot at (real) tin cans. We would spend the day chopping brush on the Ga. Power right-of-way. In the late afternoon out would come the rifles and the fun would begin! Some of my be memories are of going with friends down along the Mississippi river and trying to hit various bits of "stuff" that we found lying about. Wandering around in the marshes and woodlands out beyond Slidell, etc., my friends and I shared some happy times. Afterward we enjoyed the sort of wonderful meals for which the folks in south LA bayou's are so well known.

When in 1985 my wife gave me a Ruger 77-22, I put a scope on it and proceeded to enroll in the Blue Collar School of Practical Small Bore Rifle Shooting. Firing that little rifle at ranges from hard off the muzzle out to 100-125 and even 150 yds., I found out that with good ammunition I could regularly make hits on cans and plastic bottles. What's more, I found out that sighted in at 50 yds., the .22 LR round showed a drop at around 100 yds. that was very similar to what my handloads did in my Rem. 700 .30-06 at 250-300 yds. I have found that practicing with my R77-22 getting used to hitting targets at varying distances out to say 100-125 yds. is very helpful in improving my ability to get hits on targets/game when deer hunting.

When my daughters were little, I taught them to shoot with Red Ryder BB guns shooting at Ritz crackers thrown into the air. We have enjoyed many happy times just wandering through the woods shooting pine cones out of trees, fireant mounds, etc. Recently my youngest daughter came home from college for a visit. I asked her what she wanted to do and she immediately said, "Go shooting!" The following day she went through 800 rds. of CCI Mini-Mags fired through my S&W M-18 and her Ruger 10-22. I think I got to fire maybe (maybe) 30 rds. She fired the rest of the ammunition at targets of opportunity, i.e., plastic bottles, spray paint cans, aluminum cans, etc. that I would throw out for her to shoot. She is very proficent at making a can skip along the ground. She can start at 10 yds. and keep it moving just about out to the limits of the range of her iron sighted 10-22 rifle. The best part is listening to her delight as she loads another magazine and hits a can while it is still moving from the last round. One of my church members came around the side of the work building and asked, "What's all the shooting about?!!!" He saw my daughter and saw me trying to keep up loading magazines for her... he just shook his head and laughed.

Today I will be out visiting church members. I will be carrying a SA Mil-Spec 1911 with 230 gr. WWB FMJ. I will also have a box of 230 gr. Magtech FMJ's in the shooting bag. And... I will have my G-22RTF (Boomerang) along with a nice 100 rds. value-pack of WWB 165 gr. FMJ's. At some point I will drop by a church member's farm, pick up a worn out harrow blade, spray paint it white and put some rounds down range. Then... I'll pick up some of the cast off aluminum cans that are in the trash can... I'll throw them out in the field and see how many times I can bounce them around. Yes, I am a fan of plinking. It's like a video game... only better! Sincerely. Brucev.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Heck yes.

We have a thing about shooting cans. The object, after shooting the can full of holes, is to hit it at the bottom and send it over the berm.
    Wednesday a friend was shooting his new Bushmaster AR at a couple cans. I told him he had to put the can over the berm.
    He set an all time record for height.:supergrin:

I've got a Henry pump. Nice rifle. Only problem is I'm having problems with my left shoulder and can't work the slide. I should have bought a lever action.

12. budman74

budman74

LOVE to plink! So do the kids! My favorite is my Ruger Mark I with the bull barrel. SWEET little gun! Next would be a single shot .22 bolt action then my bushmaster .223. Also plink weekly with my 21SF. bout 200 rounds a week. Practicing Bullseye course and just routine SWAT training courses....

13. StoneDog

StoneDog

I wish I had a place to plink. All the ranges require paper targets (no soda cans, clay pigeons, etc). I need to buy some land out in the middle of nowhere...

Some of the best memories I have is plinking with a benjamin or .22 out in the farm country when I lived in Indiana... Can't do that here in the Atlanta suburbs.

14. Tactical black

Tactical black

I love to plink I shoot my S&W 22A more then my rimfire rifles I'm more a handgun guy:supergrin:

15. maddyfish

maddyfish left this *****

We plink almost every night when the weather is good.

My kids and their pink Cricket, me and my Springfield 120a 22.