close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone still a fan of Westerns?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dregotglock, Mar 18, 2010.

1. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

The Mrs and I were watching Pale Rider the other day and got to thinking about what we liked about westerns that still remain as one of our shared movie themes. For example I am a major action and fantasy type fan - (i.e. cant wait for Clash of the Titans 04/02/2010) but still love my westerns.

Maybe its due to the nights as a kid staying up late watching Western Marathons late at night with my old man (knowing full well my 8 year old butt would not be going to school in the morning if I went to bed at 0200 lol). So very well could be sentimental...

There is still something refreshing to see the good guys go up against insurmountable odds and still go forward with a .45 and a Henry in hand.

So here it is - what are your favorite westerns? TV, Movie, Series etc?

Here’s my list:
    The original Magnificent Seven with Yul Brynner is still a favorite movie.
    The original Lonesome Dove - one hell of a cast
    The original Ponderosa was a family favorite on Sundays before Kung Fu Theater started (again watching this with my old man and grandpa as an 8 yo kid).

2. plasticgunz

plasticgunz Swollen Member CLM

Pretty much all of Eastwood's westerns will glue my butt to the couch.

3. major

major Rejected member

Lonesome Dove.................best ever

4. dregotglock

Agreed - Everything for The Outlaw Josey Wales to Unforgiven will cause an involuntary loss of 2-3 hours :embarassed:

5. MattHappyTrails

MattHappyTrails

I've always loved a good Western. Lonesome Dove is a favorite of mine. Many Eastwood and John Wayne movies are way up there.

6. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Clint Eastwood westerns,Gun Smoke,Wild Wild West,just to name a few.

7. zeke66

zeke66

The Long Riders. Classic. And let's not forget Tombstone.

8. pugman

pugman

For my viewing westerns really don't have much middle ground...they are either done well or went horribly wrong.

Maybe I'm too young (40?) but I've never seen the appeal of John Wayne. I've tried to watch a lot of his movies and simply gave up. I'm probably the victim of modern westerns in that unless there is some beautiful color scenery, hot chicks, or some good gun fights the movies are lost on me. IMO, his acting was one dimensional..flame suit on.

Any Eastwood western is a mandatory sit down...I even liked Open Range...and Quigley Down Under is a guilty pleasure of mine.

It seems lately though for every Unforgiven you get two Young Guns? You get Tombstone...and then you get Wild Wild West....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  9. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Yup.

Westerns don't get the respect they deserve and on television shows in the 60s like Gunsmoke and Bonanza explored contrversial subjects like racism which wasn't given much notice in programs set in modern times. Many western movies also gave good insights into human nature and emotions and once again since they were set in the years gone by made people think rather than be hit over the head with their own weaknesses. High Noon, The Searchers, and Red River are good examples of the character studies that are possible with the leading man riding a horse. Doing what's right is the theme of virtually every western, even if it takes awhile for the star to realize that he's wrong as in the second two films. Even if the "good" guy has some bad in him, good always triumphs over bad by the time the closing credits roll around.

I think that this short clip of a great cowboy star, and an even greater person, who donated his time to entertain hospitalized children and wounded soldiers says it best.

10. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Take a look at Red River and The Searchers which is in color, and you'll change your mind about the one-dimensional thing. Most of the big stars of that era had a persona which came through in most of their films and because of that some, like Wayne, never really got the recognition that they deserved.

11. dregotglock

Tomstone was great - I think Val Kilmer is what really saved that one for me. "I'm your Huckleberry" -

Think the combo of Kevin Costner from Wyatt and Val as Doc would have been a killer combo. IMHO

12. zeke66

zeke66

You know, I've always said that "Wyatt Earp" was the 2nd best movie ever made about the Earp/Clanton/O.K. Corral story. Dennis Quaid was also the second best Doc Holliday ever. Too bad "Wyatt Earp" came out at exactly the wrong time, which was shortly after "Tombstone".

13. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I'd like to see The Rifleman again. I grew up watching Gunsmoke.

They've been showing The Searchers on HDMovies since last Fall. I watch it whenever it comes on - beautiful scenery, and I'm not a big fan of deserts. True Grit was on HDMovies on Sunday, I think. Watched that, too.

One of my favorites is Rio Bravo - much better than the unofficial remake, El Dorado.

14. Menehune

Menehune

Yep, still a big fan. Encore Western shows a few of the older shows. "Gunsmoke" is on every morning as I get ready for work, and again in the evening when I get home. "Have Gun, Will Travel" is also on a couple times a day, and just started showing Cheyenne a couple weeks back.

I used to watch the old westerns with my dad on saturday mornings after cartoons were over. When I was young, never thought that these were what he watched when he was young. I bought a Ruger Vaquero, 7.5" polished stainless single action, just to have my "hero gun"!

"The Searchers" was a great flick!

All of Eastwoods westerns, including the Leon Spaghetti westerns. "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" is a staple that I have to watch a couple times a year at least.

But just look at the scene and I feel the tension building!!! And the music is genius!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R2Atsh6hHA&feature=related

15. Fungunner

Fungunner

I think my TV stays tuned to the Westerns channel more than any other. Wife likes Gene Autry and Marshal Dillon. She wasn't allowed to watch such stuff when growing up. My, how I have corrupted that woman, in her family's eyes.

16. dregotglock

Even some of the modern westerns have done a pretty good job - 3:10 to Yuma and Appaloosa come to mind.

Did anyone see Broken Trail with Duval and Thomas Haden Church?

17. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I haven't seen 3:10 or Appaloosa. I did watch Broken Trail. I enjoyed it. It was better because it was true (or as true as a made-for-TV movie can be).

18. Hartford

Hartford

Broken Trail is one the best westerns to come out in the last few years IMHO.

19. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

There have been some really good westerns to come out in the last 5 years or so. I hope they keep making them.

Lonesome Dove and Unforgiven are probably about my favorites, but there alot of other really good ones out there as well that have been made more recently.

20. JFrame

JFrame

I'm always up for a discussion of favorite Westerns... :cool:

The Searchers
    Hombre
    The Wild Bunch
    Ulzana's Raid
    Shane
    Broken Arrow