close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone shoot the .450 or 45 Super in their Glock 21/30?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HHI 812, Jun 15, 2002.

1. HHI 812

HHI 812

Wondering what is involved, or if you ran into any problems with the higher pressure ammo? Just wondering if it batters the gun in any way? Read of heavier springs, but wondering if the quick return back into battery also abuses the gun? Any advise or opinions appreciated! Thanks! Dennis e-mail at dmadriaga@ascg.com

2. go_ustp

go_ustp Millennium Member

I see many viewers and no posters! I guess the enhanced 45 is not popular among Glocktalk members. Oh well, it will probably be doomed to failure without any significant interest on our part. I guess I'll just go ahead and get that 10mm now rather than waiting to see if 45 whatever is as good or better....;2

3. HHI 812

HHI 812

option also? Not that I wouldn't shoot the .45 ACP. In fact, will probably shoot the .45 ACP mode more than anything. Just hate losing brass, and since I shoot at an indoor range, it won't hurt as bad to loose 45 ACP brass as compared to losing 10mm brass. Just was looking for another project to play with my G21, especially since I've been loading for .45 ACP for the longest time. Was thinking of using the .45 Supers for some hunting, but seems like the hot .40's might be the way to go for that?

4. HHI 812

HHI 812

And when its start snowing up here again, I'm going to be losing more brass still! Just hate using them hand held brass catchers!;e

5. go_ustp

You've probably read all the stuff about the 45smc/super/xyz models. I think they're very exciting and would like to hear feedback from folks that got all those free boxes of ammo from the ammo companies. They had a giveaway recently - I don't recall if it was Texas ammo or Triton.

I too considered it for hunting purposes. It would be awesome to drop a deer or hog with the G21.

I guess those folks got the ammo and put it up in their closet instead of shooting it and trying it out. Perhaps they're all waiting for the 22# or 24# recoil springs to be instock?

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Turbo, who doesn't post much here anymore, has done a lot of experimenting and chronying of .45 Super through his G30. I've shot some .45 Super through my G21, using a threaded, compensated Accu-Match barrel. Also was one of the lucky recipients of the free box of .450 smc ammo, also shot through my aforementioned and configured G21. I personally think that the "enhanced" .45's are worthless for s.d. purposes and are better used for hunting or "play" purposes. I also wouldn't care to shoot 'em through my G30, regardless of spring weights.

FWIW, a truly-compensated G21 barrel really tames the enhanced 45's recoil and muzzle flip. From a strickly personal/reloader's point-of-view, I just don't get excited about dumping a little more powder in a .45 ACP case.

7. m65swede

m65swede

Well, I have shot some of the .450SMC ammo that Triton sent me during their recent giveaway. I used my G21 with a 22# ISMI recoil spring, the heaviest I had on hand. It wasn't quite heavy enough.

I chrono'd it and will post the results at a later date; I want to shoot it through another pistol for comparison.

Thanks again to the Triton folks. :)

Swede

8. turbonatr

turbonatr Senior Member Millennium Member

I'm here!:)

Yes, Walter, I haven't posted much since my girlfriend and I have moved to P.A. plus, are expecting a child very soon (she was due yesterday). We still don't have a computer, so I rely on my parent's PC at their house on Fridays after work. I am visiting them today so I have the chance to drop my Glock Talk as see a few old friends. Good to see you, Walter!

As Walter said, I have some experience with the 45 Super in my G30, as well as a few other firearms. I have done a lot of chrono work as well as work on the range. 45 Super in a G30 isn't exactly a great combo for self defense, IMHO. Sure, the ballistics look great, but it can be a handful to control, especially with weak hand shooting. In a self defense situation, we aren't always given the time to use a proper, picture perfect shooting stance. Sometimes we will need to shoot with our weak hand. Controlling a 600+ft/lb cartridge in a small .45 like the G30 isn't as easy as doing so with a standard .45acp load or even a stout +P load. I don't think the added power of the 45 Super/450SMC should take priority over controllability.

If, however, you are just looking for a fun (but expensive) round to shoot, the 45 Super/450SMC is a blast (pun intended). The G21 and full size 1911 are better platforms to use versus the G30, however. While the G30 can and will shoot these two cartridges, the fun factor goes down as recoil is a bit more harsh than with the two full size guns. What do you need to shoot 45 Super in a G21 or G30? A heavier spring. I recommend at least a 21/22lb. unit. Barrel swaps aren't needed, unless you want the recoil reduction of a threaded/compensated barrel. My G21C with a 22lb spring shoots the higher end .45 loads with no problem and mild recoil. A standard barrel will be just fine, however with a bit more snap.

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Turbo: Good luck with the imminent eminent screamer! Also, good luck in acquiring a new computer. I'm pretty much burned out on playing with the "hot" loads and have resumed plain ol' 9mm and .45ACP loading and shooting. This stuff goes in cycles with me. I'm sure I'll be back to .40 Super and .400 Cor-Bon, sooner or later.

10. go_ustp

Turbo, thanks for the update and blessings with the new addition!