close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone shoot steel ammo in their Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RMTactical, Jul 25, 2004.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I bought some 165gr Russian .40 cal with a steel case, I was wondering if anyone has had and good or bad experiences with steel cased ammo in their Glocks. I put it through my Makarov and SKS without a second thought, but what about a Glock? Anybody tried Wolf or anything similar?

The manufacturer is State Unitary Enterprise.

2. Roundeyesamurai

Roundeyesamurai Sensei Member

Have tried Wolf in my G17. STAY AWAY FROM WOLF AMMO WITH A LACQUER COATING ON THE CASE!!!!! The newer Wolf ammo with the polymer coating is just fine. If the case is not coated, just bare steel, it can damage your weapon (any weapon, not only Glocks).

3. Bear_B

Bear_B

I have shot literally THOUSANDS of rounds of Wolf ammo and not a single problem to report.

4. tjpet

tjpet

I've run 15,000 or so 9mm, about 6000 .45 (both old and new Wolf) through a variety of Glocks. Only problem ever was the first batches of .45 had somewhat hard primers. Went to an extra strength striker spring and that took care of the problem until Wolf got it figured out.

5. Foxquads

Foxquads

I think I have some of the same ammo you are referring to....(I got a deal on it from Century last year...) I have shot probably 500 rds so far....No problems with it....However I have been picking up some of the WWWB at wally world lately...

6. Roundeyesamurai

My bad experience with the old Wolf (lacquer-coated) was on a LOOOONG, hot training day... between the sun and shooting alot, the pistol got to be pretty warm, which is when the lacquer started getting tacky. This caused ejection problems and when I went to clean, I found small deposits of lacquer in the chamber. I doubt such a problem would occur with casual shooting, but if things get hot, beware.

I did similar training recently with the new Wolf ammo (polymer coat instead of lacquer) and no such problems to report.

7. lil glock

lil glock

I have never had problems with wolf.

8. ButchC

ButchC 2 B 1 ASK 1

Many thousands of rounds through several weapons with no problems. Smelly and dirty, but reliable enough for informal plinking.

9. ForGreatJustice

ForGreatJustice

If Wolf's American distributors would do a 10K or 100K torture test one various pistols using Wolf's current production, it would probably send their sales up quite a bit. I think maybe it'd be worth it.

10. Roundeyesamurai

ForGreatJustice, I agree, emphasis on CURRENT production.

As a matter of fact, to prevent any weapon-related problems from being blamed on the ammunition, I'd offer that they use a GLOCK! ;)

Are you familiar with the similar torture test conducted by Steyr of Austria with their 9mm ammunition? In a document certified for a Canton (State) Police agency in Switzerland adopting G19 as their new standard sidearm (about 3 years ago, if memory serves; it was detailed in an issue of Glock's own publication), a sample G19 fired (again, if memory serves) 385,000 rounds of Steyr ammunition before a single dud was found. The G19 used held up equally admirably.

11. ColSanders

ColSanders Extra Crispy

Why didn't they think of that?

12. joker1

joker1

I have had problems with the newer Wolf ammo. After several hundred rounds in a single day, lots of it rapid fire, I was getting FTFs. It looked like there was a red lacquer sealer on the primers that coated the breech face of my gun when it got hot and melted. A quick spray and brush out was all it took to get me back in action. I still use Wolf so I can afford to shoot more. I just work the FTFs into clearance drills while shooting. No signs of chamber or extacter damage after thousands through three guns.

13. Roundeyesamurai

Joker1:

Yes, I have had this problem as well. Wolf is attempting to utilize the same polymer coating they use on new-production cases for a sealant as well. When they perfect this and start marketing it, this problem will be corrected, just as the problems with the lacquer on the cases caused a similar problem (note my previous post about this).

14. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Roundeye, malfunctions caused by laquer buildup are not the same thing as DAMAGE to a weapon. Please explain what you said about Wolf ammo damaging guns. It doesn't make any sense to me.

15. Roundeyesamurai

sharpshooter:

Talking about two different problems.

The lacquer coating creates its own problems for some users. However, I was illustrating that the lacquer solves the one downside of using steel instead of brass (in case anyone wondered why Wolf coated the cases). The reason brass is preferrable to bare steel, is that brass is more malleable, hence, it wears less on parts. Bare steel, without something to act as a "cushion" (for want of a better word) will wear parts much faster. So, lacquer was applied to the cases for this reason. Wolf is now using polymer coating to eliminate the problem of lacquering, which is lacquer deposits.

Sorry for the confusion, I probably posted that while half-asleep (LOL).

16. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

I am pretty sure Gorelicks is talking about Silver bear ammo and it is crap. I bought 2 cases of 9mm and constantly had failures to extract where the case was wedged very tight in the chamber. I was drawn to it because it was so cheap. I found out why. Stick with wally world whitebox or make your own.

-Lonnie

17. glockandme

glockandme

The Wolf Sucks. I don't know why its not called the "Bear from the North" ammo company!;f

18. Mister B

Mister B The Un Tactical

I put a 1000 rounds of Wolf(with the red lacquer coating) with out any trouble.

19. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

No, the stuff I got specifically was NOT silver bear. It was very similar to wolf(steel case). I have never tried silver/brown Bear in a pistol at all, and I don't know if they use a steel case for handgun ammo. I have shot about 120 rnds of silver bear(nickel case I think) through my AR without any issues, but I have decided I wouldn't do that on any kind of regular basis because I have heard bad stuff about it and I don't want to harm my extractor on my AR.