Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked a 21sf with ambi mag release up for $425 and after reading all the negative reviews about the mag release, I contacted Glock. They told me they would replace my frame but the serial numbers wouldn't match. I told them that wouldn't work for me and their next option for me was to return my complete firearm, and they would sell me a gen4 at a discounted price of $375! Told them that was the worst deal I've ever heard. Ive heard of people getting thiers replaced with a gen4. Has anyone here had thiers replaced?

·
Old timer
15,359 Posts
From another site:

The recommended test is to load up a full magazine. NONE IN THE TUBE! Load the magazine in to the pistol. Now, press the magazine release. If the full magazine falls out with no apparent problems, the pistol should be OK.
Also, it appears they will replace the entire unit with a (numbers matching) 21SF if the frame hasn't been messed with or the warranty made void.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Summary: "I just overpaid for an old Glock with a known issue and expect Glock to give me a free brand new gen 4. Now I'm mad 'cause they won't give me a free pistol. I joined Glocktalk just to ***** about this."

WTF dude?
Just wanted to hear from anyone who has had theirs replaced tough guy. From what I understand glock wanted to get all these back and destroy them.

·
Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria
775 Posts
I read the Police actually rejected this model of the G21 SF with a Picatinny rail because of the poorly designed Ambi magazine release, it wasnt suitable and would cause a magazine to get dropped during normal use by accident , and it also didnt work in Police holsters, and only works with the special ambi cut out magazines

thats why it's been discontinued, the model Gen 3 G21 SF with a standard mag release is more popular, plus it take all magazines

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not trying to sound like a jerk. It seems like you bought a discontinued handgun thinking they would swap it for a Gen 4. You bought it used and they offered you a new frame. I’m not sure what else they could have or should have done. Good luck.
Not at all. Didn't know they were discontinued when I bought it. When I found out, I emailed them after reading about people getting them replaced. I told them what was going on and after they said they would replace the frame but the serial #s wouldn't match, I asked if I can pay to upgrade to the gen 4. I wouldn't mind paying, but theres no way im sending in a mint 21sf and $375 for a gen 4.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
The only issue with non-matching serials is resale value with picky bastards. It's still a Glock. It's not like they have master smiths hand fitting each slide to each frame, and by mixing non-matched serial upper and lower, you've lost the hand fitting that was done when the original firearm fell off the assembly line.

BTW...I agree that $375 + that 21SF for a Gen4 21 is a horrible deal. They'd probably offer you a better deal than that on a new Gen4 if you blew up the 21SF with bad reloads. Another $100 and you're nearly to the price of a blue label gun, and you still have the 21SF to shoot or sell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah
The only issue with non-matching serials is resale value with picky bastards. It's still a Glock. It's not like they have master smiths hand fitting each slide to each frame, and by mixing non-matched serial upper and lower, you've lost the hand fitting that was done when the original firearm fell off the assembly line.

BTW...I agree that $375 + that 21SF for a Gen4 21 is a horrible deal. They'd probably offer you a better deal than that on a new Gen4 if you blew up the 21SF with bad reloads. Another $100 and you're nearly to the price of a blue label gun, and you still have the 21SF to shoot or sell.
Yeah. I was figuring they would say $100 myself.

·
Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria
775 Posts

·
Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner!
2,272 Posts
I had mine replaced. I love my guns, but this example is a combat gun so I just wanted it to work reliably. And I had a large quatuty of g21 mags that did not have the ambi feature. I really don't mind the non matching numbers.
If you can sell it to a collector then do so, otherwise have the frame exchanged. I was lucky and was in Smyrna for something else and just dropped it off.

ETA I would not expect a new gun in exchange. But that is just me.

Sent from my POS SM-T530NU using Tapatalk. please excuse my typos, spell check sucks!

·
Old timer
15,359 Posts
Is this a problem with just the sf model or is the Gen.3 G21 also affected?
I have a 21SF bought when they first came out, but I opted out of the pic rail and ambi release. Mine has thousands of rounds down the pipe, and is my HD weapon of choice.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
Thanks for the info, DienBienphu. I am currently looking at a Gen.3 G21 to add to my collection.I bought 2 ruger MKiV-22s a few weeks before the recall came out on them and don't want that kind of headache again if I can keep from it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.