Anyone seen my 8-point?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BlackBelt, Sep 26, 2005.

1. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

Man, I feel horrible about this. Got up early this morning and was in my treestand by 5:30 a.m.. Let 3 nice bucks pass before I slung an arrow into a NICE 8-point about 8:15. It was a good hit, at about 30 feet. He bolted with my arrow buried in him up about halfway on the shaft. NOT a through-and-through, though. I gave him about an hour to expire, and then climbed down and started looking for him. I was still looking for him at 6:45 p.m., and had to call it off because it was just too dark.
    Wasn't much of a blood trail, as the arrow was in him as he took off.
    I walked about 1/2 mile straight out, and cut back time after time in 50 ft. intervals back to the stand, working a cone-shaped search pattern. Then cut the pattern side to side. I've NEVER lost a deer before, and it's bugging the stew out of me. I didn't want to give up, but I just don't know where he went.
    I've been thinking about getting back out there in the morning and looking for him again before work. The only thing is that it was about 90+ degrees today, and will be in the high 70's tonight. If he died this morning, I don't know if the meat will still be okay tomorrow...or if the coyotes get him tonight, which is very likely (the land over-run with coyotes).
    I keep thinking that I must have missed him somewhere, maybe walked right by him...the land is heavily brush (about 3-1/2 feet tall), mixed with lots of trees and dry creekbeds, through foothills. Tough terrain, "where angels fear to tread".
    This is the trouble with a 'single' hunter hunt.
    This is the worst I think I've ever felt as a hunter. I feel like I let that deer down, and feel like I've done something un-ethical by not recovering it.
    Just needed to vent...then get some sleep and be back out looking for it tomorrow.

2. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Man I feel for you.

I think that if you look for him for almost a dozen hours that you've done alot.

Maybe you could get a couple of friends to help you find him.

I've also heard about some services (get connected by the local game warden) that can send out a couple of dogs to track/find the deer. The Ga game warden that I talked to last week was telling me about this service. I've also read a little about tracking services in Georgia Outdoor News (GON).

I hope that you can turn him up and make proper use of him before it's too late.

Good luck.

3. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I know that's tough. I doubt the meat will be any good after all day and night in this weather.

Did you jump it up any while you were trailing it? Did you find any spots where it looks like the deer laid down?

Maybe you can find someone with some dogs to track it down.

It might still be alive. It's amazing how tough deer are. I've heard of more than one case of people finding broad heads and bullets in deer they have killed. It doesn't sound like you hit any vitals, it might survive.