close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone regret loaning something ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Alchemy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

I loaned a cooler to someone that I worked with once
    many moons ago. He was going hunting/camping etc.

He returned the cooler and I really didn't think much
    about it. About a week later I opened it and I was
    totally disgusted. It was full of moldy rotten meat!

The stench was so bad that it was revolting.

This was an $80 coleman cooler back in the 80's.
    There was no way that I could clean the stench out
    of it.

Why don't people have more respect for other's property.

I had to throw the cooler away.

Im not even going into raising kids and loaning them
    my car.

What have your experiences been?

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

Here's a thought--maybe he filled it with meat to thank you for letting him use your cooler? Maybe it wasn't moldy and rotten before you let it sit for a week...?

3. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

used to loan my neighbor tools, until a few came back broken and the neighbor didn't even tell me about it. so I just say no now.

4. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

yea maybe he was being thoughtful but just forgot to say "hey I brought you some meat"!

5. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Sounds plausible to me.

6. heliguy

heliguy

Loaned out a brand new power washer to a friends husband who was moving out. He dropped it off while I was gone and the hose is all mangled with cuts all over. Looked like a lawn mower ran over it....Never saw him again....

Loaned a car to a friend when we moved and I got a company car. Asked if he could buy it I said sure and we agreed on $5,000, $200 a month. Got 3 or 4 checks, no more. We had moved several states away. Had to "loan" him the title so he could get plates. Never saw him again.

7. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Back in my early twenties, I loaned a woman four good years of my life I'd never get back. HH

8. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Don't give me that **** DD. There was also produce in there.
    If the guy wanted to repay me he should have told me.

The guy was a slob! and I learned my lesson about loaning.

9. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I loaned a coworker a camera for some event he was going to over the weekend. He didn't bring the camera back to work. I kept asking him for it back. He kept "forgetting" it.

2 months goes by and I told him I'd follow him home after work and collect it. He said he wasn't going home and that he would for sure bring it the next day.

He did bring it the next day. He had it in a new case he'd bought for it. He also bought some accessories for it. He obviously had no intention of bringing it back.

He's asked one more time to borrow something and I told him flat out "I won't loan you anything because it's too much work to get it back."

10. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Loaned a tent to the local Boy Scouts for a camp. Three days later it came back with burn holes in the floor of the tent. No explanation or apology from the scout leader. I just said keep it. I'll never loan anything to them again. They also wanted borrow my two mountain bikes for the trip. They were expensive bikes so I said no. The scout leader gave me glaring scowl for saying no. I have no doubt they would have come back beat to pieces.

11. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Zell, I think that you were right in your decision not to
    loan the bikes. You learned your lesson with the tent.

12. cphilip

cphilip

I loaned a old Salt Water reel that was from one of my Great Uncles to one of my old Boss's. Was a antique collectable one in reality and on a decent 1950's era Boat rod. Not only did he never bring it back, eventually he simply "forgot" he ever had it and denied borrowing it. Not only that but eventually he screwed me over in several work related situations and I gave up and found a job elsewhere in the system. Low and behold about 4 years later their was a reorganization and I landed up under his supervision AGAIN! I survived that and eventually he gave up and another reorganization occurred and he faded in to the distance. But he never admitted having my Rod and Reel and it has been lost forever. The Reel was made by a company call Bay City out of Ocean City Maryland. Not that valuable but had sentimental value to me. Had been used on the Chesapeake Bay for Blues and Rockfish (stripers) by my family for many years. I guess I can pick one up on eBay but it will never be the same.

13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Never loan to the BSA. I have held almost every position you can in BSA including scoutmaster, twice. Never loan to the BSA.

I loaned an 88 Chevy to the scouts once. (I had planned on going but a funeral prevented it so I loaned the truck) They loaded it with all the gear and at the last minute decided to take mountain bikes. They strapped the bikes on top but as they drove the bikes slid to the sides of the truck and scratched both sides of the beds. They also messed up the front suspension doing some serious four wheeling they were not supposed to be doing according to BSA rules. No apology or offer to pay any part of the $1800 dollars it took to rebuild the front end. I swore that was the last time I would loan anything to the scouts if I wasn't going.

12 years later a similar situation occurred and I agreed to loan them a truck. When he came to get it I had a 2000 Chevy ready to go. He got ticked because he thought I was loaning him my eight week old, custom ordered Dodge 3500 Diesel. He just wanted to look like the coolest scoutmaster at the event. I withdrew the offer.

I teach a Utah history class on the Mountain Man era. I loaned my gear to the scouts for a display and several items were stolen. And I had to hunt down the guy I loaned it to in order to any of it back.

I loaned the official U.S. Army Bugle manual From 1906 to a scout master who was also a band teacher. At a large summer camp he was going to pass off several boys on the Bugle Merit Badge. It came back with the page containing Taps missing. He told me it must have fallen out. After all the book was old.

If you loan anything to the BSA they think of it as a donation.

14. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Years ago, my dad loaned his torque wrench to a buddy. Buddy broke it and had it 'fixed' w/o telling my pop. Well, we figured out the 'fix' wasn't so good when the block cracked as we were torquing the head bolts on the old chevy inline 6 we were rebuilding.

15. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Raising step kids can be difficult. My car was always available
    to the boy. One night it came home with the side door kicked
    in.:upeyes: One of his friends got pissed at him and decided
    too take it out on my car.:steamed:

I never saw a dime in having it repaired. Relationships come
    with baggage.

My step-son finally made something out of his life after
    my wife and I put him through 5 yrs of college, but he
    almost screwed the pooch once.

When in college he attempted to elude a police officer.:upeyes: Upon legal advice we contacted a local
    attorney and he walked on the charge.

Had he been convicted on this charge he would have not
    been alowed into the DEA. He now has his 25 yrs in and
    is about to retire.

We made him eat the lawer bill for this issue.

16. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

Seven years for me.

I used to loan money to friends if they were in need. I got tired of having those loans go unpaid, so I stopped. Last month a person I know called me asking to "borrow" $10. I know she's unemployed and has no way to pay it back, but I was feeling charitable and figured if it were for a good cause I would be ok just giving it to her. I asked her what she needed it for, and after a few minutes of her trying to dodge the question she said that she was going through a lot of stress and wanted to get drunk. I told her I didn't have the money, and I haven't heard from her since.

I only loaned tools to someone once. It was just a cheap socket set, but I never got them back. Now if someone needs to use my tools, they won't leave my sight.

I stopped lending my vehicles to people when I got tired of always getting them back with an empty tank, and that's when gas wasn't even very expensive. I never lent an old lifted 4x4 to anyone because I knew they would just destroy it off road.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Who remembers my "Chainsaw Thread"?

Case closed. :steamed:

18. AA#5

AA#5

I learned valuable lessons about loaning things to "friends" as a child, so I stopped doing it.

If I want to help someone, I'll give them something - not "loan" it. That way, I won't be disappointed when I don't see it again.

I did foolishly loan my name (co-signed) to a relative so she could get a new car for a much-smaller down payment. After several discussions about late payments lowering both our credit scores, I learned another valuable lesson about co-signing. FOR ANYONE. EVER!

19. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Several items.

Money to a friend. Never again.

Speedloaders and leather holders to a friend, so that he could qualify with his revolver for off-duty carry.
    That's been 23 years. Have never seen the speedloaders or the cases.

Loaned the same guy a router, router table, etc.
    Never seen them, again.

Loaned a NEW chainsaw to a next-door neighbor, to cut a tree down.
    I heard this awful noise coming from his direction.
    Looked across the back yard. . . . that sphincter muscle had the chain and bar IN THE GROUND trying to cut tree roots!!!:steamed:
    He brought my saw back, in 4 pieces.
    "Uh, something's wrong with this."
    Had to buy a new bar, chain and adjuster.
    He never offered to pay a dime. (Bastige!!)

20. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Your soon to be regret will have something to do with a safe.