Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bobby Lee Swagger novels. I just finished "I, Sniper". Came across them last week. The author knows/researches his guns and ballistics. A great read about snipers. Plus the "Jane Fonda" character gets her just deserts. Even Dillon gets a mention.

Recommended.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ah, you shouldnt have started with that one! LOL It's a great book though.

I first bought Point of Impact after seeing Shooter, than got Black Light, and a few others in a lot on Ebay. Liking his books as much if not more than I do/did Tom Clancey.

·
Agitator
2,779 Posts
I've read the whole series.

Highly recommend.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It is funny when you read Point of Impact how you notice the differences between the book and Shooter, the movie.

·
local trouble maker
9,125 Posts
Have you read John Ringo's ghost/ Kildar series? Another good read.

·
Registered
35,937 Posts
Stephan Hunter writes a great book. I've read 6-7 of them.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Have you read John Ringo's ghost/ Kildar series? Another good read.
Ghost/Kildar series is good and so is Stephen Hunter... The Last Centurion by Ringo is scary to the point of making you want to go spend a thousand or so at Sam's Club on dry goods like rice and beans.:shocked::shocked:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ah, you shouldnt have started with that one! LOL It's a great book though.

I first bought Point of Impact after seeing Shooter, than got Black Light, and a few others in a lot on Ebay. Liking his books as much if not more than I do/did Tom Clancey.
I haven't read any of his books. What is the suggested reading order?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I have three of the Swagger books so far. I plan to read the entire series.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Have met him a couple times... once at a book signing at a retailer where I was scheduled just before him. He had a much bigger crowd than I did. :supergrin:

He actually wanted to buy a copy of mine, (I'd already bought his well before) but not being as stupid as I look I gave him a copy.

The second time I met him he actually remembered me, he was very complimentary and we spent a good 30 minutes talking about guns and Miami war stories.

He's much more knowledgeable about guns than you'd expect an author to be. Big, big fan of the .38 Super, was curious as to why I'd never had one. If I'm not mistaken his day job is writing for one of the Chicago newspapers.

Oh, btw, if you like the Swagger character you'll probably enjoy the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Very enjoyable reads.

Jack

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Handgun TV did an interview with him and he has quite a few firearms! Also a decent shot.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think that Vince Flynn much is much more interesting and easier to read.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I find Stephen Hunter, as an author, to be a little up and down.

I really liked Point of Impact and The 47th Samurai is nothing if not a great read.
However, Hot Springs was so so and to me not easily finished. OK but nothing great. Maybe I was just expecting too much.

Black Light was good but not up to the standards of say Point of Impact.

I really liked the movie Man on Fire.
The book it's sort of based on by AJ Quinnell is nothing short of great. Look it up.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
He used to do movie reviews for the Washington Post.
Washington, Chicago, same difference... they're all flatlanders.

Jack

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I thought I had read them all, but 'I, Hunter' is a new one on me. I'll have to check Hunter's website to see when that was written. If you haven't read Time To Hunt, that is also a GREAT read. Just don't start the last 50 pages after midnight, or you'll not get any sleep that night.

GioaJack - You met Hunter? That's really cool. On a similar note, I bumped into Massad Ayoob at an IDPA shoot last fall and he's been very responsive in follow-up emails. He also recommended the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia, which has been a fun read. I'm on #2 right now: Monster Hunter Vendetta. Correia knows more about exotic weapons than I'll ever know in my lifetime. Fun stuff for pure escapism.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts