Glock Talk banner

Anyone play with one of these. Jump Starter and Portable Charger Power Bank

1560 Views 21 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  wjv
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,941 Posts
I have several Anker products (Anker Astro 15000mAh, Anker 14W solar panels) and they've been a quality product that have delivered everything advertised. If this delivers like they're other products you'll be well pleased.

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone tried anything like this on a ford explorer or larger engine?

With the old battery packs the trick was to plug it in, wait for the battery to transfer power. I wonder if it would work with this.

· StraightShooter
3,642 Posts
Anyone tried anything like this on a ford explorer or larger engine?

With the old battery packs the trick was to plug it in, wait for the battery to transfer power. I wonder if it would work with this.
My jump starters have worked on V8 engines....even on diesel tractors. But they are the large, heavy units.....normally buy them at Sam's Club.

· Registered
1,684 Posts

· Registered
5,290 Posts
I was thinking about getting an antigravity battery, but it looks like anker is the better deal.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
That tiny thing wouldn't jump start anything I own except my lawnmower.

I have a big heavy Schumacher jump pack with a SLA battery. It will start about any automobiles around here, but not a big diesel engine. I carry a pair of jumper cables, but not that pack. My vehicle has a secondary isolated battery that can be used in the event of an emergency for starting by a relay. We just keep the pack around here usually as a convenience to start something small from time to time so we don't have to drag out the big booster/charger and extension cords.

The model I have has a built in compressor (slow as ****, but in a pinch could save you) and an almost worthless LED light as well as a power inverter for 120v and some 12 volt plugs and a usb connection. I've had it a few years and did just recently replace the internal battery (15 minute job). I think the main reason it went bad was the charger that maintains the pack is a cheap power brick that has no regulation near as I can tell and maintains too high of charge voltage and will fry the battery over time.

· Registered
44 Posts

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I got this 2 weeks ago

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U0N409E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Amazing

Jumped my neighbor's 6 cylinder Accord instantly, my bike with a 3 year old bad and dead battery no problem, and powered my kid's iPad in the car for 6 hours.

Does take all night to fully charge again. I expect that you probably would need a traditional heavy expensive jump starter if you have a big contractor type vehicle.
The number of cylinders an engine has doesn't really directly correlate to the difficulty of starting. A 6 cylinder Honda accord is I am sure a pretty small engine compared to a 6 cylinder ford pickup or a 6 cylinder john deere tractor.

You just have to understand what you're needs really are and plan accordingly. I'm not saying these products are bad, but like everything they have their limitations and if you understand them that is fine.

· Registered
2,111 Posts
We have a couple where I work. I have used it to start the Explorer I drive at work. So far, they have worked just fine. We quit buying the bigger combo power pack/air compressor because after 18 months or so, they won't hold a charge more than a few days. We have not had the new ones long enough to see how long they last. You don't have to worry about jumper cables being charged up, but sometimes a dead vehicle is parked where you can't get to it. We tried to push a lady's car back to jump it, but it would not shift out of park with a dead battery. That's when these things really come in handy. They will also run our MDT and charge up a cell phone. Pretty handy.

· Registered
35,066 Posts
Doesn't heat degrade batteries? Wicked hot summers in AZ, keep one of these in the truck and it wouldn't be worth beans, would it? Wouldn't 900-1200 cold cranking amps be better?

· Registered
2,757 Posts
We have a couple where I work. I have used it to start the Explorer I drive at work. So far, they have worked just fine. We quit buying the bigger combo power pack/air compressor because after 18 months or so, they won't hold a charge more than a few days. We have not had the new ones long enough to see how long they last. You don't have to worry about jumper cables being charged up, but sometimes a dead vehicle is parked where you can't get to it. We tried to push a lady's car back to jump it, but it would not shift out of park with a dead battery. That's when these things really come in handy. They will also run our MDT and charge up a cell phone. Pretty handy.
I am assuming these things use lithium ion batteries so they should hold up. Compared to the big heavy jumpers like I have that contain SLA batteries. As I said I had to replace my battery. I don't know if its just because its a SLA and they don't last or its because the junk charger that came with it killed it prematurely.

I will admit I have never used on these small ones. That does have a lot of good reviews on amazon and not many bad ones. In looking through them there are a lot of reviews that are very thorough. A little suspicious if you ask me. I do write reviews on a lot of products, but I don't usually get quite so thorough. Makes me wonder if they are plants. At the same time I can't find many or any reviews that said "this won't start my car" so maybe it is good to go.

· Combat Diver
3,770 Posts
I have a larger duracell. If you leave it plugged in when the truck is off, it back feeds the battery. I have to plug it in and unplug when I get out of the truck. I also attach a solar panel to it.

· Registered
33,980 Posts
Any of these larger packs will be lead-acid based. Li-on would be hugely expensive.

I've been looking at the Goal Zero portable packs. They are cool but way overpriced in terms of what you actually get power/energy-wise. They are lead-acid based. I think something like the Schumacher is a lot better bang for the buck, unless I'm missing something. I'm not sure you could recharge a Schumacher-type with the small solar panels though (like Goal Zero).

· Registered
5,290 Posts
Antigravity xp3 is 5"x2.8"x1", and is $129.
Anker "will fit in your glove box" and is $79

· Da Da
7,318 Posts
Mine are the COSTCO version and are five years old. They have small compressor, a light, USB charger and a 110v plug.

I jumped my neighbors 3/4 ton Chevy last month. Worked first time.

My wife used hers a few weeks ago to help a stranded co-worker. Worked great and was under 50% charge. It had been in her trunk untouched for a year. I was surprised it worked, but it did.

Reactions: BearMBD

· Combat Diver
3,770 Posts
Any of these larger packs will be lead-acid based. Li-on would be hugely expensive.

I've been looking at the Goal Zero portable packs. They are cool but way overpriced in terms of what you actually get power/energy-wise. They are lead-acid based. I think something like the Schumacher is a lot better bang for the buck, unless I'm missing something. I'm not sure you could recharge a Schumacher-type with the small solar panels though (like Goal Zero).
I think mine takes 3 - 5 days to charge. I tried to keep the panels plugged into the pack and expose the panels while on trips and the truck is pared at the airport.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.