·
Banned
18,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
18,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My "only" concern, is that .308 ammo has gone through the roof and isn't as easy to find as it once was. This will be a hog hunting rifle more than anything else. So, really, finding hunting rounds isn't that hard, but I do like the SHTF/combat advantages of this particular gun.

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
I'm not going to get into the differences between this Col. Cooper's vision...

Only ever handled one in the store. Never shot one. It seemed to have a lot of slop in the bolt, and the raceways were rough. Not horrible, but not what I'd expect for a $800+ rifle. I did like the sights. Trigger was mediocre / had some noticeable stacking and overtravel.

I'd be interested in seeing chrono numbers vs. a 22-24" barrel. I think it would make a heck of a truck gun... but then I'm back to the price and what you're getting (or missing out on) for the money.

Anyway, due to a lack of my ability to talk about how it shoots, here's hickock45.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhOnOFEH6ps"]Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I like the the GSR and the compact size. I did change the stock flash suppressor with a JP compensator. The poly mags can be purchased in 3, 5 or 10 rounds. I didn't have a problem with the trigger, it puts a hole where it's aimed.

[email protected] yards

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I really like the idea of this rifle but I think they made a mistake in their choice of magazine. Why go with a less common, more expensive, lower capacity mag when they could have gone with the more common, cheaper, higher capacity SR-25/DPMS/Pmag pattern. I haven't compared them side by side but the 10 round Ruger mag appears to be about the same size as a 20 round Pmag. Why have a mag the same size but with half as many rounds?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I've only handled it in the LGS, along with the Remington's 700 SPS Tactical, and the Savage models 10P and 11 (Hog Hunter). Of the four, I like the Remington the best. I have the same rifle in .223, so perhaps that colors my opinion, but I'm not big on the Ruger or Savage proprietary mags, nor the blind box on the Hog Hunter. OAL on the Rem is shorter than the Savage 10P even though they have the same bbl length.

·
Lean & Mean
16,459 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I like the the GSR and the compact size. I did change the stock flash suppressor with a JP compensator. The poly mags can be purchased in 3, 5 or 10 rounds. I didn't have a problem with the trigger, it puts a hole where it's aimed.

[email protected] yards
Cool! That looks better than the A2 style flashider and I'm guessing is more effective.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
To sell to 10 mag limited states and not everybody wants to pack around 20 rounds.
You're packing around a 10 round mag the same size as a 20 round mag so why not have 20 rounds?

From what I understand the idea behind a Scout rifle is one rifle that does everything from hunting to defense, so wouldn't it make sense to have 5, 10, and 20 round mags as options? I seem to remember reading that the magazine that Ruger is using is an Accuracy International pattern and that Ruger is also make their own factory mags. So why couldn't they have went with the SR-25 pattern and made their own factory 5 and 10 round magazines? As an added bonus the 10 round magazines would be more compact than the current 10 rounders.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I thought the Scout concept moved the scope forward of the ejection port to make top-loading of the integral mag easier/faster?

If so, doesn't that point become rather moot with a removable mag?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
You're packing around a 10 round mag the same size as a 20 round mag so why not have 20 rounds?

From what I understand the idea behind a Scout rifle is one rifle that does everything from hunting to defense, so wouldn't it make sense to have 5, 10, and 20 round mags as options? I seem to remember reading that the magazine that Ruger is using is an Accuracy International pattern and that Ruger is also make their own factory mags. So why couldn't they have went with the SR-25 pattern and made their own factory 5 and 10 round magazines? As an added bonus the 10 round magazines would be more compact than the current 10 rounders.
AI mags are very robust and reliable, but not cheap. Higher capacity Alphamags probably fit too.

AR10 mags will accept an overall length of 2.810" while most AI mags can handle rounds up to about 2.900".

I think it was a reasonable choice for this rifle.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
...AR10 mags will accept an overall length of 2.810" while most AI mags can handle rounds up to about 2.900".

I think it was a reasonable choice for this rifle.
Is there that much variation possible in .308/7.62 loads to make that a big concern? If so I could see that being a factor.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.