Anyone own a Dogo Argentino?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Big-V316, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Big-V316

Big-V316

I have been doing some research on this breed and was wanting to know if anyone owns one? I have heard that they make great family dogs as long as you stay on top of them and keep them social. I have also heard they can be a real PITA if you don't. If anyone with real hands on experience could give me an idea of what to look out for I would really appreciate it.

Big-V316

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

I don't have any first hand experience with D.A.'s, but have you owned big dogs before?

3. Big-V316

Big-V316

I have owned many large breed dogs. Mostly Rottweilers and Shepherds and one Akita. My main concern is that in the past I have seen allot of protest aggression from these other breeds. By that I mean that an adult dog like my Akita would constantly challenge me on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong I didn't put up with but it was a pain to deal with. Now I have a wife and a 2 year old as well as a baby on the way. I have heard that these dogs are great with kids and families but I have gotten most of that from the breeders.

4. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

The breed is not hyperactive, but young Dogos are inquisitive and keep themselves busy investigating everything around them. Adolescent Dogos, particularly males, have a tendency to be show-offs. A favorite feat is to lounge on a couch or chair, then suddenly slide "bonelessly," to the floor while nearby humans grab frantically for a leg or tail to prevent disaster. The pup then lies on the floor in a rumpled heap and grins up at the breathless humans! The mature Dogo does need regular exercise to maintain the muscle structure that is the hallmark of the breed.

The Dogo Argentino is a wonderful family dog. They are very intelligent and house train easily. A warm body and soft couch will keep a Dogo quiet for hours. They are clean house dogs that need little coat care. Dogos love children with a passion. At the sight of a child, a Dogo will light-up like a child on Christmas morning. They are as gentle and loving with their children and family as they are tenacious with their prey.

The Dogo craves close physical contact with his people, a Dogo never lays at your feet, he lays on your feet. He is a reliable family guardian, interested in all activities and enjoying guests along with his family. Should the Dogo discern a direct threat to any member of his family, he will act to protect that person.

All dogs need to know their position in the pack. Love, training and socialization is all you need to make any dog a great dog.

5. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Miracles Happen

Thanks for emphasizing this point for ALL dogs! My sweet-as-pie cocker spaniel is SO much better when she knows who's boss!!!

6. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Ha! That's great.

I've got a parrot that likes to play dead on the bottom of his cage. One time he hung from a toy, draped across it at his mid section. He just hung there, eyes half-opened, head back and everything. Scared the living hell out of me, and when I screamed and went running for him in terror, he laughed at me. Little bastard. :supergrin:

7. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Just don't take the Dogo to the dog park. Also, if you decide the Dogo will not be your only dog, make sure your other dog is of opposite sex and never leave them unattended together when you are not home, even if they seem to be the bestest of friends.

8. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

From what I hear that's good advice for most dogs.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

9. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Same with my German Shepherd.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

10. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Figured I'd mention just incase. Some people get in over their heads or experience tragedies with the family pets because they assume APBT, AB, or a Dogo, for example, has the same temperment or charactoristics that their family pet as a kid had. Like I said, just figured I'd mention this just in case...