Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking of replacing my yard truck. A 2006 Ranger Sport RWD. Great little truck, but when I do need to drive farther than the compost dump or HD it is loud and tiresome. Plus I really dislike manual door locks.

Dealers around here have some stripper Rangers for $22k. With electronic locking rear. Power windows and locks. Remote start.

So, is your truck comfortable? Do you like the turbo engine?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Had a '99 Ranger for 18 years. Just shy of 200k miles on it. Loved that truck, but when the A/C went out and was going to cost well over the total Blue Book value on the truck lumped it together with the Wife's '98 Altima to trade for her new car. Current truck is a '04 Silverado again with just shy of 200k on it. Would like to get another Ranger.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Fugly as can be. In that category you have to go Colorado or Canyon. I think an apples to apples ranger is more expensive too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
I like the new Ranger but I won't buy one because the chairman of Ford had to put out that stupid press release right after Trump took office complaining about Trump's stand on illegal immigration. Just like that, the goodwill that Ford earned by not taking the government bailout money was gone for me. Toyota, Nissan, and Honda are the only pickup brands I'll consider now.

Reactions: B C

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The Ranger, although relatively new to the US market, is dated. Same with the Tacoma which is due for a redesign soon. Between the two I'd still take the Tacoma without hesitation, but that's just mho.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Colorado's are junk. Duh. It is a GM after all. I would choose Ranger right now although Tacomas are probably better built. My son traded his 2017 Colorado with 70,000 miles (transmission problem, seats busting out at seams, etc.) for a 2019 Tacoma. The only thing I hate about it is the stupid way they changed the oil filter. If you don't do your own oil change it wouldn't be a bother but with that system I would worry about it being done right. The Ranger is also more trouble than before but at least it still takes a spin on filter, unlike Toyota.
Remember that the Ranger was never out of production, just not sold in the US for a while.

·
Registered
25,925 Posts
New Ford and GM vehicles are dead to me -- the last few new vehicles purchased we did not even drive through a GM or Ford dealership -

Honda, Toyota and Hyundai (maybe KIA but have never owned one) are about all I will consider right now.

Funny thing is - many years ago I would only consider GM and Ford - it took multiple beatings of poor quality POS vehicles before I even tried a "foreign" brand.

Talk about crapping on your most loyal customers -

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also consider the Tacoma. Just my opinion, in terms of reliability. Same price range.
This will surprise you...the two worst trucks of the 9 I have owned in the past 40 years are 1. A 2004 Chevy Colorado (no surprise) and 2. A 2012 Tacoma. Bought it brand new. That truck’s build quality was a terrible. I guess their Mexican factory was not as good as the U.S. trucks. Sold it after 4 horrible weeks. Never again. OTOH I replaced it with a Tundra. Flawless truck. Sold it after I blew out my back.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New Ford and GM vehicles are dead to me -- the last few new vehicles purchased we did not even drive through a GM or Ford dealership -

Honda, Toyota and Hyundai (maybe KIA but have never owned one) are about all I will consider right now.

Funny thing is - many years ago I would only consider GM and Ford - it took multiple beatings of poor quality POS vehicles before I even tried a "foreign" brand.

Talk about crapping on your most loyal customers -
Thank you for posting that. I have thought about the Frontier. Dealers are selling the 2019 models at good prices. And I know they are bulletproof.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Do you like the turbo engine?
Eco Boost engines, with a turbo and "gasoline direct injection" (GDI), are very complex and operate at extremely high pressure. There is no possible way they can be as reliable in the long term as a normally aspirated engine without the turbo and GDI.

Honda, for example, is known for its super reliable engines, and there is a 12 year old CR-V in my driveway that is still in excellent condition. But Honda, like Ford and others, abandoned what works and went with a 1.5L turbo. The result? The high cylinder pressure forces combustion material past the rings and into the engine oil, which destroys the engine. Honda has settled a massive class action lawsuit about these unreliable engines.

If you want to drive a vehicle for the long term and get your money's worth out of it, stay away from the Eco Boost and turbos. Find yourself a normally aspirated engine with a long term proven track record. Or lease an Eco Boost and hand it back to Ford when you are done with it.

·
Registered
25,925 Posts
Thank you for posting that. I have thought about the Frontier. Dealers are selling the 2019 models at good prices. And I know they are bulletproof.

I had a 1986.5 Nissan 4x4 - came from the factory with 31 10.5 15 tires

I beat it hard and it just kept running -

·
20,894 Posts
My 2010 has been great. I believe Nissan is doing a total redesign for 2021 and I just might be ready to trade in my 2010 by then.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Eco Boost engines, with a turbo and "gasoline direct injection" (GDI), are very complex and operate at extremely high pressure. There is no possible way they can be as reliable in the long term as a normally aspirated engine without the turbo and GDI.

Find yourself a normally aspirated engine with a long term proven track record.
Lots of wisdom here. Hard to break the laws of physics...

·
Civil Liberties Matter
1,810 Posts
The issue I have always had with small trucks is that they cost almost as much as a full sized truck after discounts.

I have yet to meet someone with an eco boost engine and not like it. In fact, I know someone who bought the 5.0 and he misses his 3.5 eco boost.

·
20,894 Posts
The issue I have always had with small trucks is that they cost almost as much as a full sized truck after discounts.

I have yet to meet someone with an eco boost engine and not like it. In fact, I know someone who bought the 5.0 and he misses his 3.5 eco boost.
The reasons why we bought a mid size is because it's easier to get around in traffic, park in parking spaces, and it takes up less space in the garage. Price and gas mileage weren't considerations.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,618 Posts

They are powerful engines. There is no doubt. Longevity for me is paramount. I drive 40-50K a year. My aim is 300K before I start looking for a replacement. To date, only naturally aspirated vehicles have made that mileage without some major expense. All the turbos had to be replaced and that's not inexpensive.

Reactions: varget and MFC4

·
Registered
509 Posts
Exactly! Instead of standing still, or trying to replace the internal combustion engine, automakers have refined it. There are those that resist improvements- most of them reject the new technologies without trying them first.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,618 Posts
Exactly! Instead of standing still, or trying to replace the internal combustion engine, automakers have refined it. There are those that resist improvements- most of them reject the new technologies without trying them first.

They are simply trying to meet CAFE standards. They are trying to do more with less and there's a price to be paid for that exchange.

Reactions: cbetts1
1 - 20 of 66 Posts