GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
It arrived, and after fiddling with it for a day swapping the magwell back and forth between the 17 and the 19 lengths... i finally started cutting on it.

I read up a little bit on reddit and a common theme appears to be that the forward rails are sometime slightly angled upwards, as viewed from the front to the back.

So, am I nitpicking? Or is there a noticeable incline here?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine looks like this. I just had it to the range this morning for the final function testing and it ran perfect. I'd like to tweak the trigger pull a bit, but otherwise everything worked as it should.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, Polymer 80 says that the rails look ok to them but they're sending me a different one just in case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I'm disappointed to report that my concerns were confirmed. I assembled the GST-9 and attempted to install the slide and it didn't work.

That is to say, the forward frame rails were canted upwards to the extent that the slim gap between the slide and the frame up front is entirely absent where the slide meets the frame further back, to the extent that the back of the slide is too low to slide onto the rear rails, instead butting against them. I forced them a bit and was barely able to reciprocate the slide. After trying to work it back and forth a few times, I removed the slide for fear of damaging something.

I tried three different slides, two aftermarket and one factory G19 slide. It wouldn't work with any of them. I'm familiar with the idea of polishing or filing on the rails a little to improve fit, but this seems just obviously out of spec. I'll have to contact 80%Arms again on Monday.

In the meantime, I radically reshaped the trigger guard and filed down the dustcover on a Polymer80 PF940c. My primary goal with the 80%Arms GST-9 was to have an 80% that fit regular Glock holsters, so maybe this will work instead.
I might have to do a little more work but it fits some of my Glock holsters already. The newly shaped trigger guard has a kind of M&P-esque shape. I miss the exaggerated undercut a little but I do like the aesthetics of this shape.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Definitely something out of spec there. Gotta wonder if it's a bad frame or bad batch of rails. Hopefully 80% will make things right. I have another one to do... I guess we'll see how it goes for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Definitely something out of spec there. Gotta wonder if it's a bad frame or bad batch of rails. Hopefully 80% will make things right. I have another one to do... I guess we'll see how it goes for me.
I tried two different rail modules and they were both like this. I doubt they're changing the frame molds this late in the game so it seems like it must be the rails.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I ran a quick web search for "GST-9 problems" and found some discussion on Reddit about the very same problem you have. I didn't read through it all, but it appears that 80% was claiming that it wasn't a "common problem." Also looked like they did send out replacements though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ran a quick web search for "GST-9 problems" and found some discussion on Reddit about the very same problem you have. I didn't read through it all, but it appears that 80% was claiming that it wasn't a "common problem." Also looked like they did send out replacements though.
I saw the same thing on reddit. I was hoping to beat the odds.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts