Anyone on a ketogenic diet?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vart

vart

Had a doctor's appointment today for a general check up and the doctor recommended I go on a ketogenic diet. She was raving about how great it was.

Of course she was very obese... :headscratch:

I tried the Atkins diet back in the early 90's when it was all the rage and I lost 20lbs in a month. But I was miserable and felt like crap that entire month...

Just wondering if anyone here has tried the ketogenic thing. At my age (48), I can't just "go on a diet". I have to completely change my eating lifestyle if I want to remain active and somewhat healthy.

Just seems to be so many approaches available; not sure which one is right for me.

The "healthy breakfast and then fast food or deli food the rest of the day" diet has not yielded good results...

2. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I'm 46 Vart...it's not hard.

This thread will be full of specific advice soon, so I will only add the following. Find your carb threshold (where you can stay in ketosis) and consume them early in the day. Mine is 50/60 grams a day and I usually split them between breakfast and lunch.

In the beginning your energy level will suffer, but after a week you will be good to go.

billkill, IndyGunFreak and Chris like this.

3. P99er

P99er GT Ombudsman

PVolk, BradD, 308M1A and 2 others like this.
  4. Detectorist

Detectorist

That diet only works for a few times. There is no need to go to extremes. All you have to do is eliminate all wheat products and you will lose weight.

If you are a smoker, work on that first.

professor kv and P99er like this.
  5. P99er

P99er GT Ombudsman

[waterboy]Momma says gluten is the devil[/waterboy]

6. BradD

BradD

7. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Doing it right now. I'm on day 7 and I'm down 8 pounds.
    I basically eat reasonably all the time, but when my scale hits 200 I go low carb for a month. (I'm 48, 6'2"). I'll drop 20 pounds in 4 weeks, and then resume my regularly scheduled programming for the rest of the year. By the end of the holidays, I have to switch from my 32" waste pants to my 34" pants...that means it's time for the month of low carbs.
    During this month, I switch from beer to bourbon. (This is why I always do the diet in the winter. Bourbon goes well with a cold evening and a fire in the fireplace. Beer is required for lawn mowing.)
    I stock up on meat, fish, bacon, cream...and pepperoni (that's my preferred snack item). I simply don't buy milk, chips, bread, sugar, potatoes, rice etc, etc. It requires very little effort or planning, and requires zero starvation.
    Counting calories and limited portions is my definition of hell. If I'm hungry, I want to eat.

huskerbuttons, happie2shoot and vart like this.
  8. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

All diets by definition are ketogenic when you burn fat your body produces ketones.
    Am I missing something.
    Eating healthy is a great idea but if you eat less and move more you will lose weight

9. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

''Eating healthy is a great idea but if you eat less and move more you will lose weight''

But that would really disrupt my life style, eating a lot of crap
    and reading on the computer.

pgg00 likes this.
  10. Detectorist

Detectorist

It's much more than just gluten.

11. AzItLies

AzItLies

This is very true. We all have become so accustom to 'sugar highs' that it's difficult to adjust to feeling normal (very little sugar). It takes time.

When I strictly limit carbs (like I am now), you really can feel a difference after ingesting high sugar / carb items. It's a kind of a 'buzz' you feel for hours. With low carb diets (whatever you call them), you just don't feel that.

Totally agree. There's no need to starve yourself. It just changes **what** you eat. And honestly, some people just can't adjust, they are that addicted to carbs.

Not true. You'll never burn fat (as a result of ketosis), if you eat too many carbs. Your body will be too busy using glucose for energy and never get to the fat.

Rizzo and r3dot like this.
  12. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

The trick to Adkins is that you eat less but the foods you eat are satisfying, because calories are calories.

The insulin swings associated with a carb laden diet cause hunger swings (and fatigue) that are absent when the carbs go away. Eating becomes less urgent and appealing.

IndyGunFreak and kiole like this.
  13. r3dot

r3dot

The difficult part is being full. You will crave those carbs and fillers hardcore.

I'm not overweight by any means but periodically cut out carbs to balance my cholesterol. Those who are overweight to begin with will see a dramatic loss of fat, but nearly all of them gain it just as quickly back. That's how this diet works. Limit yourself to 20g carbs per day and you'll do fine.

Joshhtn likes this.
  14. AzItLies

AzItLies

Very true. Another thing about these types of diets that helps is drinking enough water. I think the recommended amount is at least 8 glasses containing 8oz ea per day. I never used to drink enough water, and it helps quite a bit with feeling satiated.

15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

And you wont lose weight (fat)You will not burn fat as energy.
    you will end up losing muscle mass and water weight and getting fatter by percentage

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  16. PVolk

PVolk

I've been on the ketogenic diet since last summer. I just quit it two weeks ago.

In short, it sucked. It looked great on paper and I found lots of great ways to avoid carbs and eat healthy fats. I limited myself to no more than 50 carbs per day. Usually held to 30 carbs though. The downside is that you cannot cheat on this diet - ever. As soon as you do, all your progress is undone - and it's incredibly easy to cheat on this diet. I love my craft beers and they just don't work with a ketogenic diet. I did lose like 12 lbs the first week on this diet, but plateaued after that and never really felt better. The other part I hated is spending 2 hours preparing specialized meals every day. I don't mind cooking here and there, but I have better things to do than spend that much time in the kitchen every day.

I've since switched to exercise and fasting. I run every morning and no longer eat dinner (rarely in the kitchen now and saving lots of $). On this regimen, I'm dropping about a pound per day. I'm currently wearing cloths that didn't fit a month ago. And I get to eat bagels and drink beer. Life is good. I still avoid most sugers, but no longer count carbs.

J. Gambolputty likes this.
  17. refugeepj

refugeepj

every time you feel hungry, have sex.
    every time you reach for a snack, sex instead.

pgg00 and Baba Louie like this.
  18. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I could see this plan backfiring while standing in line at McDonalds.

19. Detectorist

Detectorist

Running is a great way to lose muscle.

20. refugeepj

refugeepj

do you feel that might cause a scene?