Anyone more accurate with revolvers? vs semi

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 2740dmx, Feb 22, 2010.

1. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Weird but true...

I was shooting my newly acquired Ruger SP101 today, and alternating with my Glock 27.

I am no stranger to snubs, but it had been a couple of years since i fired one.

I was much more accurate with my 2.5" snubbie than with my G27!

same distances and firing speed= better accuracy with a DAO hammerless revolver.

I thought the G27 as accurate, but the snubnose revolver just might replace my G27 for carry weapon.
    (i was using 180 gr defensive ammo for the 40 cal )
    (using 158 gr 357 and 38+P hollowpoint for the revolver)

anyone else find this? was it just an odd day for me?
    let's hear some revolver vs semi talk!!

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Why are you so surprised? Revolvers tend to be more accurate than autos in the first place (fixed barrel, better trigger, better sights) then you factor in the ergonomics. Everybody is complaining about how a certain marque's pistol doesn't have the right grip angle or the right thickness. Nobody ever complained about revolver grips fitting badly, regardless of whether they're Colt, Smith&Wesson, Ruger, Rossi, Taurus, etc.

3. rhino673

rhino673

I'm much more accurate with my S&W 586 then any other auto pistol I have. The Steyr M40 is almost as good but not quite.

4. Reb 56

Reb 56

The only Revolver I have is a J frame 642 and I don't shoot it near as well as my Glocks. DAO trigger on the 642 in my opinion way too heavy. Plus it isn't much fun to shoot.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Hey, both interesting and unbelievable. Not that I think you are lying, just hard to believe! I see you live in Vermont. Maybe this warrants a verification trip, and some skiing and beer afterwards. :rofl:

What distances and group sizes are you shooting with each?

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Other than the no other revolvers and no fun part, I'd say I have pretty much the same result. :)

However, if I work twice as hard at it, I can almost bring my group size down with my 642. At 25 yards, I've recorded some 4" groups with my snubbie, but working real hard at it. My Glock 26 I've gotten down to a 3" group, not working nearly as hard.

But what I had to do with my snubbie is what I think is called staging the trigger. When empty, and dryfiring, you might notice there is a moment when the cylinder stops turning, and the hammer hasn't fallen yet. With practise and a lot of concentration, you can find that point.

This might not be all that useful in real life shootings, but for target shooting you use that to lower the group size. Pull the trigger until you find that spot when the cylinder stops turning, then fine tune your sight alignment, then finish the trigger pull. In effect, it is like shooting a single action revolver.

It's probably more constructive for defensive training to just do one quick and smooth trigger pull. But practising the staging of the trigger also seems to help with revolver trigger pull in general (helps for even when you just pull one continuous squeeze).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  7. oldnoob

oldnoob

Depend on the trigger mode. I shoot DA revolver better than DA semi, but semi in SA or striker fire will be much more accurate even with SA revolver. (38/357 in revolver vs 40/9mm in semi.)

8. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

You said it all.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Personally no difference between revolvers or semi autos.

There is a difference between individual guns, trigger, sights, etc, but it doesn't make any difference if the gun is a revolver or semi.

10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Yes, because I was started on revos....
    I think that is it.
    :supergrin:

11. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

I take it for granted that people will generally shoot wheelguns better than bottom feeders.

12. tc2129

tc2129

I am much more accurate with revolvers. Not so much with Glocks

13. CZ guy

CZ guy

Carry the gun that you can shoot the best. Shot placement is the name of the game.

That said, if you had a good smith do a trigger job on your Glock, I'm fairly certain the difference would be minimized. Now that said, you don't want to carry a weapon with a light trigger, so I highly suggest against this... or anything else that could increase the chances for failures in your auto.

The revolver is an inherently more accurate platform, period. And the Glock is many things to many people, but it's not exactly known to be the most accurate semi-auto. If you could take a Glock and a S&W revolver and tune them to their limits for bullseye shooting, I've no doubt the revolver would win hands down...

14. skdmrklcy

skdmrklcy Duck and Cover

I am for the most part a revolver guy. I don't shoot snubs as well as an auto like a G26 though. Anything else I shoot revolvers much better.

15. Berto

Berto woo woo

I think revolvers balance better than most autos, the SA trigger on a typical S@W revolver is better than all but the best 1911's and the trigger geometry on the DA medium frame revolvers is also very easy to work compared to many DA/SA/DAO autos.
    Oh, and they are usually more accurate.

16. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I learned how to shoot handguns with revolvers and I am more accurate with my S&W 686 .357 than any of my pistols.

I enjoy shooting both semi's and revolvers, but for shooting small groups at 50 yards ill take a revolver.

17. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

As much as I love my SP101 I'm more accurate with my G23. For me it's the sights. The 3 dots on the Glock work real well for me. The last few years my eye sight has been going and I'm having a hard time picking up that gray iron front sight on the SP. I will get around to ordering a
    Meprolight front sight for it. If the light is good (outside) and I don't lose the sight in a black background target, with 158 grain loads my SP is a way better shooter then I am.

18. 2740dmx

2740dmx

Yeah, I live in southern Vt, but my brother lives up in Highgate Springs, nearly in Canada.

I was shooting from about 7 yds mostly (sometimes i get up real close and personal and shoot rapid fire-point blank...) and my groups were nothing to brag about.

My groups were much tighter and centered on the x-ring with the snub.
    my groups were scattered and shooting a bit low with the G27.

I have had moments of great accuracy with the G27, but mostly when i shoot, it is practicing on the move, from under concealment, and in awkward positions. For point and shoot, my snub is definitely the winner.

thanks for your reply!

19. MJB

MJB

MY 686 is scary accurate. Very smooth trigger also.:supergrin:

20. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Me! Learned to shoot D/A revolvers. Still prefer them. I have two D/A semi-autos also. A Ruger P93 and a Taurus PT-22.