Glock Talk banner

Mix?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a feeling that most everyone else sticks with one type of bullets in their magazines. I carry a 10mm G-20 in the woods which I am in almost daily. I load my magazines interleaving with 1 Underwood XPen, and 1 Buffalo Bore 220-HC Or DT 200-HC. So always 1 Xtreme-pen then 1 hard cast BB (or DT).

Just to make sure no issues I have shot about 30 rounds in that formation and all good. However I am very interested to hear if and why anyone would recommend against mixing whether for woods or HD/SD. I am also interested to hear what you all out there do? Mix or No-Mix.

·
Registered
37,692 Posts
Lots of good discussions against mixing rounds in a magazine, including by folks who have seen a wide range of things happen which the average person wouldn't suspect. Mas has discussed the reasons against this "practice", for example.

Personally, I only mix different rounds in magazines for range use, to clean out leftovers, rotate carry/practice stock or to test new mags to confirm function.

Now, if you have a specific purpose in mind for backwoods use, meaning not just threats from humans, you probably only have to justify it to yourself ... and perhaps, someone else, in some criminal or civil proceeding, if it's used against you to try and infer a particular state of mind (mens rea) if you're involved in a defensive shooting incident involving people.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try taking a pocket full of firecrackers into the woods with you next time. They make almost as much noise and you don't have to worry about a backstop.
Yeah, and I can try negotiating with the bear afterwards in case the fireworks do not scare him/her. I will also ask him/her to position himself or herself where there is a backstop. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
I just have a feeling that most everyone else sticks with one type of bullets in their magazines. I carry a 10mm G-20 in the woods which I am in almost daily. I load my magazines interleaving with 1 Underwood XPen, and 1 Buffalo Bore 220-HC Or DT 200-HC. So always 1 Xtreme-pen then 1 hard cast BB (or DT).

Just to make sure no issues I have shot about 30 rounds in that formation and all good. However I am very interested to hear if and why anyone would recommend against mixing whether for woods or HD/SD. I am also interested to hear what you all out there do? Mix or No-Mix.
In the past I never thought mixing ammo was a good ideal. Mixing different types of hollow points together never seemed to make any sense or offer any advantage. Mixing hollow points with FMJ rounds seemed logical in theory but not so much in reality. Theory was the fmj rounds would offer superior penetration characteristics that would compliment the hollow points. The problem here is that no one knows when the fmj will be needed if at all. If the fmj are not needed then half of your stopping power is lost. ENTER the Underwood Ammo Lehigh XD line of SD ammo, this barrier blind solid copper round offers good tactical penetration (vests included) and offers a good level of energy transfer in flesh to make it an effective SD round. The mixture of the XD and premium hollow point rounds would offer advantages without risking the poor SD performance of a fmj. The different recoil characteristics of these rounds as they might affect accuracy could easily be overcome with some practice time. This ammo mixture is the only one I can think of that could actually increase the overall SD effectiveness of a magazine of ammo.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I didn't vote because there are certain situations when I do mix ammunition. When I go to town, ammunition is the same, either in magazines or cylinders. At home it's a little different, living in an isolated area near wilderness, there is a dedicated, go outside at night railed 1911 10mm w/light attached, flashlights for redundency. Chambered and top magazine round are 200gr WFNs. The reason an entire magazine isn't loaded with the WFNs is they don't fit lower then the top space. If you've ever been out in the dark, as in literally real dark, you'll understand that a close in black bear woofing/huffing will/has mine and the GSD's undivided attention. The last four black bears killed near here have been 400lbs+, with one being about 520lbs.

Dogs are javelina, coyotes, feral dogs, mountain lion and bear magnets. WFNs tend to travel straight through mesquite if needed. I also have a G20 that will have a full magazine of WFNs should I find myself working or walking on property trails. Depending on the weather and time of year, when carrying a 357 or 44mag, first chamber up is loaded with snake shot.

So yes, there are situations when ammunition is mixed, but only the first or first two rounds will be different from the rest.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,977 Posts
Sometimes. For example when shooting trap and skeet doubles, a larger pellet for further carry for the second shot. 9's for the closer shot, 7 1/2's for the second. Same for when bird hunting. Maybe 6's for the first shot, 4's for the second.

Never trusted bear spray. In the video, look how close the bear is before they get hit. Now you have a bear right on you and he might get pissed. Plus if there is a crossing or a head wind or it's not a good shot in the eyes.... there are too many variables that can affect an aerosol defense. Worse case scenario is you get hit with some of the spray and now you are blind.

A bear can run 30mph or 44 fps which mean he cover the range of the spray in about 1 second. Far too close. For guns self defense, a legal self defense shot on a human can be 7 yards. You are spraying the bear at about 3 to 5 yards.

You notice in the video that bear is on a track running beside the demonstrators. If the bear is running at you and you spray, inertia alone of a 400 - 500 lbs bear could have him barreling into you. Bears don't have ceramic brakes and can't stop on a dime.

Granted anything is better than nothing and there are reasons you might not or cannot have a gun, but if you can carry, then you should.

Reactions: OrangeDot

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Used to when I was young and foolish.........now the closest is that I will carry two magazines for my G20=one with Underwood 220 hardcast and the other with 180 JHP (forgot which brand). Depending on where I am at determines which mag goes in. I don't plan on 2-mile shots, so either will hit pretty much dead-on at 10 yards.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
"Never trusted bear spray. In the video, look how close the bear is before they get hit. Now you have a bear right on you and he might get pissed. Plus if there is a crossing or a head wind or it's not a good shot in the eyes.... there are too many variables that can affect an aerosol defense. Worse case scenario is you get hit with some of the spray and now you are blind. "

Rumors, machismo, and innuendo....Look at any of numerous studies (from all over the world) that show the inaccuracy of those statements==Firearms are effective stoppers only about 50% of the time (and even then deaths and major injuries result). Bear spray is 92% effective with only MINOR injuries resulting. I'll let you search and choose your own studies so you can't accuse me of "cherry-picking". Google Dr. Stephen Herrero for a start.

I would seriously like to see any peer-reviewed document that says otherwise.

You want to swagger with a gun on your hip, join SASS!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I don't mix ammo for any kind of self-defense, be that two-legged or four-legged defense, I want consistency in my ammo performance with every shot.

However, like others have said, if I'm just going to the range and have a bunch of random ammo I'll stuff it all in the same mag and shoot it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Never in my carry gun, I use Federal HST and that's it.

At the range, in practice sessions, I throw different ammo in a box and mix and match randomly. I do that intentionally, it's a sort of ball and dummy practice intended to keep me on my toes not knowing what comes next.

When at a match I shoot with one type of ammo and one only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.