GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
NRA Member
2,700 Posts
yep.....I hate electronic media.....books, news, social media....give me a piece of paper.....just me though.

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,127 Posts
If I want to get information from a newspaper, I check out their online version, put this happens almost never. I use to enjoy the newspaper, not so much anymore. Kinda sad actually.

·
INFIDEL
10,606 Posts
read newspapers often, and looked forward to the latest magazine subscription showing up in the mail ...obviously its all online now, physical books are nice but it has to be something I cant live without before I will buy one now

·
Registered
848 Posts
I miss them. The only thing left around here is a very thin Tacoma News Tribune, and a hard left Seattle Times. The Seattle Times reports on ANTIFA like the second coming of Christ. I tried it for six months, couldn't stand it. A shadow of their former selves.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I used to subscribe to the Financial Times. Can't afford it now. I miss it. Nothing else. Still like real books (can mark them up) - not e-reader.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I do not watch any of the major TV news channels.

I still receive 3 daily newspapers (both the print version and the digital version).
- 1) local town & neighborhood news, 2) regional news, and 3) national & international news.
- Also look over the free weekly and monthly print papers that are delivered to my mailbox.

I find that there is no better source for my local news than the local newspaper.
(But I also attend the bi-weekly Town Council meetings to ask questions and to let my opinion(s) be known face-to-face.)

Don't read every article in any of them. Don't even look at every page. That is one of the main things that I like about print media. I can pick and choose. After a while you get a feel for which reporter bylines are worth your time and which ones are not. It does not bother me that the papers that I subscribe to try to present both sides of an issue.

There are several daily/weekly columnists that I like to follow that I cannot follow in any other format.

My favorite articles are the ones that go into so much depth that the story starts on one page and is oftentimes continued on two, three or four more pages. Much greater detail than TV, radio or even the Internet.

When I find an article that is particularly interesting, enlightening or informative - I can logon to the digital version - and send a copy to other interested parties. (Note: I try to never send an article unsolicited. Only after a friend or relative and I have discussed a particular topic beforehand - and they request that I followup our conversation with more details/facts/whatever.)

Every day I also browse a dozen or more Internet only news sources.
Again 1) local, 2) regional, 3) state, 4) national & 5) international.

While I rarely watch TV - I am a regular listener to 4 different AM and 1 FM radio station.

When world events dictate - I fire up my SHORTWAVE and/or HAM radios to monitor the INTERNATIONAL news directly from the source (i.e. the overseas broadcasters).

Edited to add: I also still subscribe to several print magazines. Mainly focused on my hobbies and to give me something to read in the john.

·
Bitter American
500 Posts
I used to be a newspaper junkie. At one time I subscribed to 4 when I lived in Ohio. I used to look forward to the then hefty Arizona Republic and the Phoenix Gazette when I lived in Phoenix. They used to be pretty conservative papers back in the day. It usually took me quite awhile to read the Republic in the mornings. I usually breeze thru my local paper now in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Yeah, I miss the daily newspaper delivered to my door. I held on as long as I could but the paper got so small it couldn’t be *thrown* by the delivery guy and it had a good chance of blowing away before I got to it. Long ago, when we lived in Houston the Sunday paper was so big it was delivered in two bags.

·
Native Mainiac
20,756 Posts
Nope. The paper here is a mere shadow of its former self, so thin you can almost see through the folded paper. It’s expensive, and the “news” excuse me, propaganda, is at least a day old when you get it. No, thanks.
Ha-Ha...you would write the same thing if you lived here in eastern Maine and the local paper was "The Bangor Daily News". I check out their on line version in "incognito" mode to get around their paywall.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nope; hands don't get inky either. Was for a different world, long gone; just like t.v. news. Over.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
Best part of my day use to be reading the paper in the morning and doing the puzzles at lunch.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
It's been many years since I looked at a paper. They are a huge waste of time.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
No.

What I do miss is the genuine magazine.

There used to be a time when articles were picked because they only had so much space.

Now they are just throw crap on sites with such regularity you see stuff like “We break down the best ballpoint pens under $4.00” or “We test the top doormats!” Just to take up screen space.

I look forward to the rags Pheasants Forever send every quarter. Sure, I got one one recently which was nearly 100% ads but even that was better than 98% of the crap I see online.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Yes. I do.

I used to have subscriptions to a dozen magazines every month. Bass fishing, hunting, shooting, motocross, etc.....

I used to spend my lunch breaks at work browsing the magazine section at the local bookstore.

Reading on a screen all day gives me headaches.

I still refuse to read books on Kindle. I buy paperbacks.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Paper routes for kids were an opportunity to make money, learn to manage money, deal with people, and learn salesmenship & customer service.

Some experence were good, bad, but I learn life lessons.

Had this little thing going in H/S spelling subscription to 3 paper on the phone, as I had an in on new electric & water hookup in my city. Mande like 70-100 Bucks a week until the source of info disappeared.

But being an enterprising kid, I worked another angle, and soon returned to making money selling subscriptions.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts