anyone loading plated bullets for gssf

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by shootinglocks, Jul 19, 2007.

1. shootinglocks

shootinglocks

does anyone load plated bullets for gssf or uspsa? if so any problems with leading in factory barrels?:upeyes:

2. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

I've shot somewhere around 30k 9mm of the old west coast plated bullets from my stock barreled 17 & 34 & have not had any leading problems. I can't speak for any of the other brands, though. They shoot pretty well but the cost nowadays is very close to the Montana gold bullets & the quality & accuracy of those is better. If I were buying 9mm today, I would lean towards the Montana gold bullets.
    I tried .40 plated bullets when I changed to the .40 for uspsa but had zero success getting any good results shooting them from my kkm barreled g35. I shoot precisions now in the .40 but still have @12k of the 9mm.
    Good luck, keep trying until you find what works for you.
    MLM

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Many of the Masters shoot plated bullets. Currently Xtreme is popular with several of us. We're even using them in comp guns as well as our stock guns so I think you'll be safe at any practical velocities in your stock barrel. ;)

4. ede

ede

i use mostly rainier but have used others without problems.

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Another vote for Xtreme (formerly West Coast) bullets. I have been shooting them for several years and find them to be outstanding. I like their 200gr FP in .45, 180gr RNFP in .40 and 135gr RNFP in their 9mm. They shoot great from both my stock Glock barrels and Barsto Match Barrel. A very good bullet, consistanly reliable and accurate besides being some good people to deal with.:thumbsup:

6. shootinglocks

shootinglocks

very good input. i have been shooting the plated bullets for a little while.the thing that concerned me was i had to bump up the load (playing it safe with the area 8 uspsa power factor). i have heard gossip about the plated bullets leading the barrels with hotter loads.is there a velocity i should try to stay under? or is that just a myth.:banana: :banana: :banana:

7. Fireglock

Major or minor?

8. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

shootinglocks, What brand bullet are you talking about? Different companies have different numbers they suggest you not exceed. All plated bullets are not the same! MLM

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

If you are using Xtreme Bullets I woill bet they will work with either major/minor. Some of the others and I should mention their names I would not trust even at minor. I cut open 3 different brands of plated bullets and found Xtreme to have the thickest and most solid plating. I also weight checked and measured diameter and overall length for the same comparision and found Xtreme the most consistant by far.

Just my experience and .02.

Don

10. shootinglocks

shootinglocks

i have been shooting the berrys in 9 and 40,minor in 9 with an average velocity of 870fps and a 147 gr bullet.they seemed fine however the power factor was around 127. in order to play it safe traveling (different weather and elevation ect) i need the power factor to be around 130. i bumped the powder charge up .2 and the average velocity was 907fps.i did chrono my 40's but it was around a 140 power factor thats all i remember. i dont shoot the 40 that much. how can i tell if it is leading the barrel before i do damage:thumbsup:

11. Fireglock

I'm not sure about the Berrys but the Xtremes will easily do what you've listed. Realistically you would have to shed the plating before you would start leading your barrel. Have you tried retrieving any rounds to see if the projectiles are intact, providing of course you're shooting into a berm?

12. LubeckTech

LubeckTech aka LubeckLarry

I've used Berry's and Rainier in 9mm 124gr HP and 147 RNFP with great success over 4.2(147) and 4.7(124) grains of Bullseye. My favorite is the Rainier 124gr HP which will leave a SLIGHT amount of copper residue if I shoot several hundred rounds without cleaning but it comes right out. I tried some 9mm 147gr Xtreme and could not get them to group no what load/powder combimation I used - tried Bullseye, WSF, Powerpistol, Unique, Titegroup and BlueDot. Even light loads tumbled.

13. shootinglocks

shootinglocks

thank you all it seems they have been used with success and no major problems:thumbsup: