Anyone know of a good deal on a used digital camera?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by devildog2067, Nov 21, 2005.

1. devildog2067

devildog2067

My wife wants a digital camera for Christmas. Money's a little tight but I'd like to get something reasonably nice. Our 35mm camera is a Canon Rebel EOS, and I'd like something comparable to that. Failing that, a 4-5 megapixel digital with optical zoom.

Is used worth it? Am I better off just looking new? Anyone have any suggestions where to start? A digital Rebel is what she really wants, but it's just outside of my price range new.

2. jm_usmc

jm_usmc Two eagles

I'm kind of in the same boat. However, I'm the one that wants the camera. I found a company called adorama ( www.adorama.com ) and they sell factory refurbished Canon DSLR cameras. The rebel was $500 I believe. That's body only, but I'm pretty sure her lens will work so you won't have to buy those.

3. jamskatelake

jamskatelake

determine which make/model you want, then head over to
    Pricegrabber.com They'll show you the best deal + shipping. That's how I got my camera with an MSRP of 499, for 329.

4. General Sherman

General Sherman

I would not buy a used digital camera because so much can be wrong in the electronics, unlike in film cameras.

And the price of good and I mean good 5MP digitals with zoom lens are falling.

I would not try to buy from a low price leader by mail, but look at seller ratings. B&H Photo is the gold standard of reliability and priced competitively. Unethical sellers will advertise a lower price and add on extras or tell you your camera is back ordered.

I would look at the many Canon and Nikon cameras reviewed by www.dpreview.com

5. G-2

G-2

General is dead on;
    B&H is the Gold Standard. You're probably better off with a new P&S. You can also check out www.fredmiranda.com in their classifieds

Good luck