Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a stepladder to change smoke detector batteries. A step stool used to work.. but my shoulders are very sore lately so i cant reach high enough.
Need 4 or 6 feet. 6 foot step ladder seems wider and more stabil. I usually buy 300 pound ladders. Because they feel safer. Would a 375 pound ladder be more stiff or have stronger / stiffness. Either would be weight wise ok.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You want a Type 1A is plenty sturdy. Type 1AA will handle more weight but I don’t think you will notice a difference in how it feels plus I’m sure they aren’t very light. My $.02

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ladders with both weights are about 26 pounds. So the 375 weight rating is 40 dollars more.. but weighs the same as the werner 300 pound capacity.

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J-doo. Thanks... the 300 pound limit seems fine. I have a 20 foot ladder that weight and its beyond strong..

I just would rather spend 60 or 80 dollars than fall trying to change a stupid battery.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I like the little giant style. Very versatile, but not the lightest. Can save quite a bit if you go with a knock off.

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Get the six foot if you can handle the weight of it when carrying it. The extra stability of having more top to hold onto is worth it. Unless you weight over 300 lbs, don’t waste money on a heavier duty one.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I like the little giant style. Very versatile, but not the lightest. Can save quite a bit if you go with a knock off.
Little Giant ladders are made in Springville, Utah. Where will the cheap knock offs be made?

Just guessing, but I would bet CHINA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
All I know about ladders, other than climbing them and selecting the correct height, is...

don't walk under them while chasing black cats into mirrors.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The little Giants and generic brands like that are fairly heavy especially if you have to go up and down stairs. I'd much rather have 2 fiberglass and an extension ladder instead of 1 of those.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
With any step ladder, you aren’t supposed to use the top two steps. So this means that with a 6’ your feet are only about 4’ from the ground. Using that second to-the-top step becomes much less stable or safe. This would be ever more applicable as you get older.

I own many ladders as a carpenter, and have spent a lot of time on all of them. My favorite ladder, and the most versatile, most adjustable, and stable is my Little Giant Classic model 22. It is also the heaviest.

After the LGs I have a strong preference for Werners, and I own many different ones. Probably the only Werner that I was never crazy about was their folding ladder, the one with 3 folding joints. Each joint has some flex to it so when you use it like a straight ladder it flexes quite a bit. I always found that a bit unnerving. I eventually sold it and bought the Little Giant, I should have dealt with the cost and bought that the first time. But the rest of my Werners are solid and dependable work horses. They are made in Pa I believe.

I do not care for Louisville ladders. Their fiberglass extension ladders have narrower steps, even though the ladder is just as wide as a Werner. That makes them a bit trickier to use. The one Louisville step ladder that I ever owned had quality control issues, the joints were set way to tight. And their customer service was unresponsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Abuela
1 - 20 of 58 Posts