close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone know Egyptian stuff? I have a question...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tantrix, Apr 3, 2010.

1. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Every time I see this on TV it bugs me. How is it that the Egyptian government (or officials, whatever) allow these scientists to go deep into these pyramids/burial tombs and basically desecrate the graves of those buried inside? I mean, not only are they cracking open the sarcophagus', but taking the mummies (bodies) out and putting them in museums and such. It would seem that since those people went through such trouble to bury their dead, Egypt would respect that and not allow them to be disturbed. Wtf?

2. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

i dunno. we dug up some pretty cool stuff out of this confederate soldier's grave in my backyard...

i kid, folks.

3. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mummies + artifacts = tourists = MONEY. Egypt is extremely poor. They don´t view it as desecration as much as preserving their ancient culture. That is unless you actually believe in all those mummy movies. :supergrin:

4. devildog2067

devildog2067

A couple of points:

1) The vast, vast majority of these tombs have been robbed already.

2) There is fine line between grave digging and archaeology.

Personally, I think that the people in these graves are far beyond caring whether or not people want to take x-rays of their bodies. The things that we learn from these artifacts are beyond price.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I don't think that in 5000 years I'm going to care where my body is.

:dunno:

6. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Have to agree.

When I'm dead, I'm dead.

I better not care.

7. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Much of it ties into their cultural heritage (or lack thereof) in modern times. The Egyptians, for lack of a better way to put this, have their best days far behind them. Their ancient dynasties did some pretty impressive stuff, but the simple fact is they've declined since then, rather than keep up their lead on everyone else. They spent the better part of a couple thousand years being ruled by others, and during that time many of these tombs were desecrated/robbed already (often by Egyptians themselves, out for gold).

When it became the hip new thing for rich Europeans to go stomping around on adventures in Egypt (and elsewhere in Africa), many of them did so in order to document -- and hopefully preserve -- the history of the people they were studying. Archaeologists have been able to learn an awful lot about ancient Egypt that the Egyptians themselves never would have known, otherwise (particularly with DNA testing being done on the remains). If it weren't for the efforts of archaeologists, anthropologists, and historians outside of Egypt, how much would modern humans know about the pyramids? How would the pyramids have been preserved (such as in the face of the Nile flooding due to modern dams)? How many tourists would go to Egypt if it weren't for their work?

When the native peoples don't have the time, energy, or know-how to learn about the past...why shouldn't foreigners come in and, if they've got the permission of the host government, do so, instead? It's been Europeans and Americans, not Guatemalans, that have done the bulk of the research on ancient South American cultures, piecing together their history, deciphering their script, etc...and it's been much the same in Egypt, for the last hundred years or so.

I don't think they're disrespecting the dead, when they pour money and knowledge into those tombs in order to recreate them from the damages done by tomb robbers and the elements, when they document what they find (in order to even learn what pharoah is buried where), and when they do so to piece together the history of Egypt in the meantime.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  8. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

After a lot of practice, I learned to walk like one.

9. Ffolkes

Ffolkes

I saw an interview with Dr Robert Ballard just after locating the Titanic and was asked if he was going to bring any wreckage up.

He said that after the passage of more time it might become ok, but that it was still too early, "nobody objected to salvaging the Mary Rose but you can't go diving for belt buckles on the Arizona."

10. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

If the film is done in Egypt, the head of the department of antiquities there permits it.
    Ziad Allawi is a camera whore anyway, but he runs a tight ship.

Besides, there is no concept of moral disgust associated with corpse desecration among muslims.

11. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Whenever you run across a question like this I can assure you that the simple answer is $$$$$$$$$$

12. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I was going to post almost exactly the same thing.

The funny thing, for me, is that I've worked in Egypt, side by side with Egyptians (both city folk and country folk).

The city folk are always quick to point out how intelligent they are, as Egyptians. After all, they built the pyramids (so they say).

The typical response from my British friends is always something like, "Nah. You had clever slaves doing it for you, for a little while."

Either way, I like Egypt, though I haven't seen such bitter hatred toward Israel anywhere else I've been. That bothers me more than digging up graves.

13. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

I don't know who that is but it sounds like you're speaking of Zahi Hawass. That guy has got to have his face on camera for any program that even remotely treads into Egyptian archaeology. I don't believe for one second he's that good. But, he does seem to have a talent for administration.

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

We learn lots of stuff from dead people, like how they lived, culture, art and how to postpone joining them. Didn't we dig up Billy the Kid to determine the truth about his death?

15. Lesh

Lesh

I think there is some time after which it doesn't matter. More than 100 years, but certainly less than 5000 years.