Anyone into Japanese knives?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jp3975, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

The thing about steel is that if it's a hard steel it will hold an edge longer but it's MUCH harder to get sharp in the first place. Generally, Japanese steels are harder, but thinner.

I would rather have a blade that needs to be sharpened more often but is easier to get a true razor edge on it. The first Buck knives were advertised as "Famous for holding an edge" but it was very hard to ever get a good edge on them

The best steels are easy to get sharp but hold an edge longer. I like the steels used in the Swedish and Finnish knives, the French Opinel knives (which are my carry knives) and the German Solingen steel. (Opinel actually uses Swedish Sandvik steel) I used to have an excellent Henkels carbon steel knife but I was married to a woman who one time got the handle to close to a stove burner and another time let the knife rust. I think she hated that knife because it cut her once.

But to her credit, she used her own money to replace it with a similar Henkels knife that was stainless which she thought was a better idea but the carbon steel took a sharper edge though I never told her that.

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I started cooking and collecting when I was just a kid. They can build up. The oldest one there I’ve had 46 years.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

4. Colt M-4

Colt M-4 AK-74 Silver Member

a83bf251d274b9097642c0480a2b9c55.jpg I wanted this one but the guy told me 12 grand.It was from Pablo the real sword guy so was legit. so looks like i will keep shopping. i have a nice replica on the mantle now a $100 bucks or so at a gun show 15 years ago.

5. SRS

SRS

I’m by no means an expert, but I like https://japanesechefsknife.com/. Korin also has some nice knives, but the selection seems a bit limited.

This is my favorite in 270 mm: https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...samoto-ct-series-gyuto-180mm-to-360mm-8-sizes

Fantastic knife. I also have the boning knife, which I prefer to western-style boning knives for most tasks.

I also have this one in 300 mm: https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...fusa-fkh-series-high-carbon-steel-gyuto-knife
    Very nice knife, but just doesn’t feel as balanced as the Masamoto.

6. ottomatic

ottomatic

Had to look up Pablo. I guess he only deals with original stuff. That explains the prices. While I'm trying not to denigrate a $100 gunshow sword, there are reasonably priced REAL swords available that are closer to $100 than the $13,000 one currently available by Paco.