Glock Talk banner

Anyone installed Windows 10 yet?

2619 Views 35 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Generalcarry
Booted up this morning and lo and behold, there's the icon for the Win10 upgrade. I'm using Win7 and am satisfied with it. If any of you have done the upgrade, is it worth it? Any hassles? Is it better?
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Annoying Member
2,202 Posts
That is probably the icon to sign up for the free upgrade when W10is released ... it was pushed to you via Windows updates.

To answer you question, yes I have W10 installed on a couple of virtual machines.

· Registered
2,664 Posts
I've been toying with it off an on it a VM for a few months. Seems pretty solid to me. I'm not going to upgrade until I can verify some program compatibility. I don't want to buy new versions of things just because.

· Registered
158 Posts
I have signed up for the upgrade, but I had better be able to revert back to 8.1 if I want or I won't install it.

· "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"
29,811 Posts
Booted up this morning and lo and behold, there's the icon for the Win10 upgrade. I'm using Win7 and am satisfied with it. If any of you have done the upgrade, is it worth it? Any hassles? Is it better?
Got the same thing here and not about to sign up for anything till I'm sure it is solid and will function correctly with my existing systems.

· "Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Why would I want to screw up a perfectly good laptop by installing Windows on it? I'm perfectly happy with Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS Thank You Very Much.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
I have signed up for the upgrade, but I had better be able to revert back to 8.1 if I want or I won't install it.
You won't be able to just uninstall it or roll back. It is an OS upgrade. You will be stuck with it unless you do a fresh install or recovery from a backup.

I have played with the Technical Preview and it is certainly better than Windows 8. As far as if you'll love it, I don't know. It is sort of a blend of the start menu and start screen. I get a long fine with it. I will probably upgrade because (1) I am starting to have problems with my Windows 7 install and (2) I need to manage Hyper-V and Server 2012r2 and you cannot do that on Windows 7.

· Registered
530 Posts
Will Win 10 require getting or downloading programs through their "Store"?
I have several machines with Win 7 and one with Win 8.1. All qualify for the free Win 10 upgrade but I haven't decided if I will do it. I have the Win 8.1 machine sorted out where I can live with it but really dislike having to download anything through the MS Store and needing to open an account to do it.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
I've been using it since January and am liking it much more than 8.1. A couple sound issues and Thunderbird seems to hang for a little bit when I try to delete the first email of the morning but other than that it's been solid. I will be upgrading my 8.1 laptop as soon as possible. I might wait for a bit if I was on 7 but would still do it.

· Registered
530 Posts
I've been using it since January and am liking it much more than 8.1. A couple sound issues and Thunderbird seems to hang for a little bit when I try to delete the first email of the morning but other than that it's been solid. I will be upgrading my 8.1 laptop as soon as possible. I might wait for a bit if I was on 7 but would still do it.
EAJ, do you have to use the MS Store to download programs with Win 10? One of my biggest peeves with Win 8.1 is being forced to us the MS App Store.

· Banned
34,091 Posts
"When Windows 10 arrives, will your files and apps survive?"

You may run into some compatibility bumps if you upgrade to Windows 10. screenshot by Lance Whitney/CNET

Set to debut July 29, Windows 10 will be free for one year for anyone running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. And it will be a direct upgrade, meaning you can run the Windows 10 installation in Windows 7 or 8.1, and you should end up with Windows 10 in the end.

Windows 10 marks Microsoft's big push to get itself back on course after the miscues of Windows 8, so every little thing counts -- including getting the installation correct right off the bat......Not all software upgrades go smoothly, however. Compatibility problems sometimes rear up, especially when you upgrade from one operating system to another. Certain hardware may be not compatible. Certain software programs may not be supported or may need to be updated or reinstalled. How will you know if the hardware and software you run in Windows 7 or 8.1 will still work after the upgrade? Microsoft can help you determine if and how your PC or tablet will handle the move to Windows 10.
Check for compatibility issues
First, those of you running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 should see a Windows 10 icon in the Windows system tray. This icon debuted June 1 to coax you to reserve your free copy of Windows 10 so that come July 29, the installation package is automatically downloaded to your PC. But whether or not you've made the reservation, you can still check your PC to see which hardware and software may not play ball with Windows 10.
More:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-arrives-files-apps-154206310.html

· Registered
2,757 Posts
EAJ, do you have to use the MS Store to download programs with Win 10? One of my biggest peeves with Win 8.1 is being forced to us the MS App Store.
The app store will still be there and I guess if you want apps you will download them through the store, just like you download iphone apps through itunes. You don't have to use the store if you don't want apps and the features they provide. You can still source traditional software anywhere you please.

· Registered
8,536 Posts
You're not at all forced into the app store (unlike iOS for example). The app store is there for "Metro" apps just as on iOS or Google Play, but Windows 10 is still a full desktop OS, that is simply capable of also doing smartphone/tablet style apps. You're free to download programs just as you have been doing since Windows 95, the app store is just an add-on for tablet style apps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.