Anyone in the Air Marshalls?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by rdrkt, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rdrkt

rdrkt

If anyone has recently gone through the Air Marshals hiring process I have some questions please PM :cool:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

There's only one 'L' in the word Marshals.

3. rdrkt

rdrkt

Oops spell check didnt catch it thanks.

4. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I know people who have done it and have gotten tired of it. Make sure you are up to a lot of traveling and being away from home.

5. Grammy

Grammy Infidel

I don't know anyone, my wife had to fly to Baltimore today she said there were 2 guys dressed alike. They both wore tan cargo pants and a black pole shirts, one in first class, one in the rear of coach. She said they had the look of ex-military.

This doesn't answer your question just thought I would let you know.
    Jim

6. madcitycop

madcitycop

Don't listen to what people "have heard" about the Air Marshals make your own decision.

I can assure you those 2 guys were not on duty Marshals.

7. CBennett

CBennett

Agreed, the one guy that left us liked it for the first year but now is divorced and cant stand all the travel and all that crap...you have to know what your getting yourself into in that job and make sure all around you(family) do know what to expect also.

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I agree. But, do realize that there are those of us who have heard it directly from those formerly involved in the agency. I would actually suggest ICE before Air Marshals, or being a US Marshals Deputy or Detention Officer. Yes, I know this from other people directly involved also.

9. trdvet

trdvet

I know and have talked with serveral people that are and were Air Marshals. Both stated that flying will take its toll on you and admin wasn't very nice to their people. One came back to the agency he left. I think the positive thing is that you are now in the federal system and can transfer to another agency if you meet the quals, which people tell me is a wholeeeeeeeeeee lot easier than being hired directly off the street.

10. norm357

norm357

I can spell Air Marshal. :supergrin:

11. rdrkt

rdrkt

In a perfect world I have my preferences as to which 1811 agency Id like to go to. However the reality is that I have this opportunity coming up and Id like to get as much info on it as possible before I start so I can go in with both eyes open. I realize that travel isnt the best but I think the working conditions combined with the gigantic salary increase is worth the hassle.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. merlynusn

merlynusn

I don't believe Air Marshals are 1811 series. Also, when they post the hiring announcements on USAJOBS, they have a video saying "this is what it's really like, make sure you want it before applying."

13. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

The poster before beat me to it...

I want to say that Iam not trying to talk negative about the job, because there was a time when i would have done it, for instance I would have left the military to work for the Air Marshals for a couple years...but I just want to be clear as to what the job is..

Air Marshals are NOT 1811 series agents...they are another series # that I can't remember..

They do not have any investigative duties other than on-sight investigations conducted in the plane they're cruising in...

They carry no case-load..

Any time they're called into action in the air it's going to be investigated by outside entities/agencies..

Their mission is security/protection..

They are federal agents by statute, but do not do any traditional L.E. work..

They do not have take-home vehicles (because they have no need to respond at odd hours like most 1811's...needs of the govt)

The job is NOT a stepping-stone to an 1811 position, BUT, on a resume could definently help, just like working for a local PD before applying for an 1811 position would..

WHAT THE JOB IS...is a secure, well-paying, government job with lots and lots of air-travel..you will fly every day, because that is your mission..

The job is very similar in a lot of ways to the Dept of Energy's Nuclear Weapons Courier position..."guarding a valuable package"..

If you get frustrated sitting on a cramped commuter jet on vacation...you will not be happy in this job very long..

I knew a lot of guys who jumped ship from the U.S. Marshals in 2001 and every one of them came back or went to another 1811 position..

In conclusion...if you're looking to get into FED-LE, it's not a bad move, but have a plan for the future, unless you absolutely LOVE flying every day..

14. A6Gator

A6Gator

Quick Statistics
    On average, a Federal Air Marshal:

Flies 181 days per year

Flies 15 days per month

Spends 900 hours in an
    aircraft per year

Spends five hours in an
    aircraft per day

15. rdrkt

rdrkt

They are 1801. They have posted on USAJOBS and conditional employment letters have been sent out. Im not looking for a video on their website Im looking for someone that has been through their academy to tell me what its like.

16. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Sounds like a ATP/AC pilot with less pay and a smaller window.

17. jacquejet

jacquejet

Eats a ton of airplane peanuts, pretzels, and drinks a swimming pool worth of coke per year.

18. Dave Williams

Dave Williams Millennium Member

I believe I read that they get 500rds of duty ammo to practice with per month. So for the guy who likes to travel, shoot, and train it sounds like a nice living to me.

Dave Williams

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

A guy I worked with went to Air Marshals. He came back in 8 months. Said the constant flying and being away from home was too much.

I guess it's great for a younger single guy who has no problem traveling and living that lifestyle, but I hear the first gen guys already burned all the fun by messing around with all the stewardesses so that nowadays, the stewies actually rat you out for anything they can instead of being "friendly" with the Marshals.

Too bad, because that would have been a selling point for me.:supergrin:

20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

For some reason, I would think that any FAM's would do as much as they can to not draw any attention to themselves.

Tan cargo pants, e.g. 5.11 pants
    Black polo shirts
    Ex-military? I assume you mean crew cuts and that constant head on a swivel stick, Oakley glasses, etc. look that all operators have?

Maybe these guys are SWAT. Did your wife also see a few barrels of hair gel being wheeled onto the plane's cargo hold?

My buddy that went to FAM looks nothing like you would describe. When he's in civvies, he looks more like a typical suburban dad with that typical paunch and about 50 pounds more weight than he needs for his height.

Did I mention that I have a Galco SkyOps holster which is supposedly made to order for a specialized Federal agency? That's as close as I got to Air Marshals.