Anyone here work for Loomis Armed Guard?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TurboTalon, Feb 18, 2010.

1. TurboTalon

TurboTalon

I got laid off from my job a couple weeks ago and am collecting unemployment now. However I applied a Loomis as armed guard and got a interview tomorrow. Anyone here work there or have any experience with the company?

The pay seems low at 12 an hour seeing as you risk your life every day working for them.

However I would get to carry my g19 during work. That is kind of cool. Any opinions? Should I wait to find something better?

2. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

I don't know about the company so i cant tell you anything about them. As far as wait to find another job thats hard to say. Finding a job right now isn't easy and you should get what you can to pay the bills. IMHO

3. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Ditto.

I don't think you'll find anyone who's worked security -- armed or otherwise -- who'll tell you it was the best job they've ever had, with the greatest hours, best pay, most terrific benefits, and most stress-free work environment. Is it a great job? Nope, probably not.

But it is a gig that'll get you a regular paycheck, and the way the job market is right now that might be enough. Holding out for something better might mean sucking on the unemployment teat for longer than you want to. Go to the interview, wear a sharp suit, talk smoothly, and see what happens!

4. Turbodreams

Turbodreams

Ive applied to them before. To be an armored car driver/2nd man. When I was called back the lady told me what the job paid and I laughed at her. I get paid s**t at my job and its still more then what they make.

Im sorry but $13/hr with s**t benefits and a $1000 sign on bonus(only get the bonus if you already have a pistol permit in this state or the states security blue card) is not worth the risk that job puts you in.

Youre probably making more after taxes on unemployment than you would take home with them.

5. RF7126

RF7126

I've never worked for them but I always thought it was neat they let you basically carry the weapon of your choice. I never was a fan of being limited to a revolver like Brinks.

6. RF7126

RF7126

Around here it's about $10 with Brinks the last time I checked. Yeah.

7. TurboTalon

TurboTalon

Ya I'm going to go and see what happens. Like I said it is only 12 dollars and hour and I am getting 250 from unemployment now. I have my pistol permit so that's a plus. I am also only 22 still living at home which Im glad now.

Plus im reading from other online that they only pay straight time for OT. WTF

8. RF7126

RF7126

Surely you get comp time for it?

9. TurboTalon

TurboTalon

Well Im not sure. The way its looking you get time and half on weekends only.

10. TurboTalon

TurboTalon

What bugs me is- if I don't like the job or get fired or something I cant get unemployment checks

11. skyugo

skyugo

you're on UI?
    pick up a side gig and stay on UI til you can get into some kind of useful job training.

12. chris in va

chris in va

I went through the hiring process about a year ago with Loomis in VA. All the tests, questionaires, polygraphs and they ended up not hiring anyone.

Looking back now, I'm very thankful I didn't get the job. $11/hr to be a target driving a POS truck, no thanks.

13. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

they polygraph? what type of questions?

14. SIERRA SIX

SIERRA SIX

I find it REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE that they are letting you use a personal weapon insead of an issued weapon. I have to call BS. I have worked in the security industry for 3 years, and I have never heard of an officer being able to carry a personal weapon.

Concealed, maybe. Duty, doubtful.

15. G-Lock808

G-Lock808

personal weapon is a requirement for a lot of armed security companies.

16. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

When I worked in Banking I knew most of the guys that came in nice, guys all of them seemed to like their job. But what I did notice is that they are carried different fire arms.

17. 2afreedom

2afreedom

A friend of my family did the Loomis thing for about a year. You are right the pay is low considering the risk you take. IIRC he also worked some long hours and had several towns he had to go to to finish his route. From what he said the job was more about being a delivery driver with a gun than being a security guard. With all that said any job you do your best at is a good job if it pays the bills.

18. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

Yup they polygraph. I worked for brinks and bantek when I lived in Orlando. They ask you basic questions about shoplifting and what not. The pay sucked for both companies I worked for but you made up for it in hours. I talked to alot of the loomis guys because all the companies dropped at the same bank hubs. They liked it about as much as we did. If I remember correctly they did get total straight pay and got by with it by calling it route pay or something. Check out brinks to if they are in your area. They do give time and a half and also have a pension plan if you decided to stay (which few do).

19. silentpoet

silentpoet

The last company I worked for I carried my personal weapon. And the one armored car driver I knew carried his personal pistol. You have to qualify with the weapon, but no different than a company issued weapon. Currently I am licensed as an armed guard, but have not carried yet with this company.

20. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

Two out of the six security jobs (five armed, one unarmed) I did required personal weapons. One required a .38 and the other you could purchase a 9mm or .38 from their "approved" list which consisted of pretty much every major manufacturer.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010